Django Stevens 4 p.m., April 16
Candelas: Expensive Soup Cheap
Went to Candelas once last year, kinda graduation dinner with our Spanish teacher.
I never thought I’d see the inside of Candelas again.
Okay, Candelas at the Old Ferry Landing on Coronado (1201 1st Street, #115, 619-435-4900)...
...may not be as expensive as the original one in Chinatown (downtown on 3rd Street), but it’s up there.
Then I discovered their happy hour. And guess what, folks? Candelas’s happy hour stretches from 11:00 a.m. all the way to 11:00 p.m. Twelve hours! Every day!
And the food and drinks on the happy hour menu are half price. The downside? You can’t sit up at the primo tables with the view across the bay.
But you can still see the harbor waters and the sunset from the back.
And if you have the crema de cuatro quesos al chile pasilla (four-cheese soup) you won’t even be worrying about the danged view.
You’ll be totally into it. Specially since it’s only $4.50. But delicious? Creamy, garlicky, totally luscious, and actually really filling.
More in this week’s Tin Fork.
More like this:
- Southpaw: Wild life behind the batting cage — July 5, 2013
- Mexican in Chinatown? Cheese, chorizo, Cetto, Candelas! — Dec. 24, 2012
- Bertrand at Mr. A's: On top of the world! (For $11.85) — Oct. 30, 2012
- Omygosh it's Ogawashi: But is it eats or art? — Sept. 7, 2012
- Temporarily Postponed: Tommy Pastrami — July 11, 2012