Julie Stalmer 6:30 p.m., July 23
$10 Lunch: Urban Plates
When I mention I’m looking for a $10 lunch, a girlfriend of mine who lives in Del Mar says, “I’ve got a $10 lunch for you,” and takes me to Urban Plates. This is before I know Mary Beth has already come (and found it underwhelming).
First thing I say to myself when we walk in the door at 1:15 on a Tuesday afternoon (prime time for all Lunching Ladies in Del Mar) is, “Dammit, we should have come at 11:30.”
I don’t care for cafeteria mayhem or lines that clog up the door.
But the choices!
Mary Beth went into detail, so I won’t. What I will say is that I’ve yet to find a quality restaurant with so many options – all for $10 (sandwiches $8).
This $10 lunch* features grilled urban steak (medium rare – yum), beet salad (love), and sesame organic kale (I would go back for this now if I weren’t in my pajamas).
*$10.78 with tax.
More like this:
- Best Pics: February — March 1, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- Getting Cheeky at Table 926 — Feb. 2, 2012
- Davanti Enoteca in Del Mar — Jan. 11, 2012