Susan Luzzaro 5:30 p.m., March 6
Alpiners Pine No More -- You Can Duet
Several weeks ago, I delivered some bad news for local hop-heads, reporting that Alpine Beer Company would no longer be able to get their hands on enough Simcoe hops to produce one of their best-selling brews.
That beer, Duet IPA, has always been scarce, so fans are used to putting in some work to get at it. But the thought of having absolutely zero to sleuth out equated to a full-scale crisis for these folks.
With my last two posts about Alpine being negative notes about the fact that this and another beer (Ichabod pumpkin ale) would not be offered for the next year, it’s refreshing to write this post announcing that Duet will, in fact, be available…and soon. Like many good developments in San Diego’s beer scene, it comes as a result of camaraderie and collaboration.
As it turns out, Green Flash Brewing Company was in need of some Nelson hops and Alpine, the producers of another popular hop-stoked quaff called Nelson IPA, had plenty to spare. As a result, the companies were able to trade in order to symbiotically meet each others’ needs. It’s only fitting that such a harmonious duet will provide the basis for Duet’s return.
More like this:
- Alpine Beer Co. goes peoples’ choice route — April 25, 2014
- Alpine to brew beers at Green Flash’s facility — July 18, 2013
- Happy New Beer: 2012's Best Breweries — Dec. 26, 2012
- Alpine Beer Company's Jack O' Lantern's Sporting a Frown — Sept. 27, 2011
- Anti-IPA Day: Alpine Braces Fans for Life Without a Fan Fave — Aug. 4, 2011