Bart Mendoza 5 a.m., Dec. 8
Deco's, the block-long, floor-through Gaslamp nightclub and once-upon-a-time decent restaurant, is gone for good. The new tenant is McFadden's Restaurant and Saloon, which calls itself the "Wildest Pub on Earth."
Judging by the artwork in their ads (photos of pretty girls — do I dare say Erin Go Wonderbragh?), it's clearly aiming at the party crowd like its predecessors. (Before Deco's, it was Redfish, a raucous New Orleans-style restaurant of considerable culinary inconsistency.)
As for the late Suite and Tender of the late Hotel Se (renamed the Palomar and bought by the Bay Area's Kimpton Group of boutique hotels) — its new eatery is called Saltbox, the kitchen headed by Simon Dolinky. The menu will consist of American grazes, small or large, meant for sharing, and prices are moderate (all under $25).
More like this:
- Eggs and spring chicken at Saltbox — May 21, 2013
- Hotel La Jolla Renovation Includes Addition of Cusp Dining & Drinks — May 17, 2012
- Se No More — Oct. 3, 2011
- Sé Hello to the Saltbox — Sept. 8, 2011
- RIP: Clay's — June 9, 2011