Jeff Smith 2:30 p.m., June 26
- Community Blog
- Ensign Hickman
Baja & Border News Translations: Tragic Beginnings of 2013 in Tijuana; License Plates will Cost Only 9 Pesos More
Tragic Beginnings of 2013 in Tijuana (El MEXICANO, 1/2/13 by SAID BETANZOS)
TIJUANA, BC - A 16 year-old boy died yesterday when hit and 10 other people, mostly children and women received injuries resulting from two rollovers.
The young boy who was killed is identified as Vicente Hira Acero, 16, by an officer. The accident occurred at 7:45 a.m. at the intersection of bulevar Las Joyas and calle Diamante in colonia Los Álamos. The suspect drove a yellow, approximately 1984 model Ford Bronco pickup with gray and white stripes. Witnesses described the vehicle as having very sloppy painting. It was speeding down Boulevard Las Joyas west at about 25 meters before calle Diamonte and lost control. The truck went right and hit the young man selling tacos, sending him about 25 meters away.
A Ford Explorer truck capsized yesterday around 3:20 p.m. in the Tijuana River canal when going east down Vía Rápida over the Lazaro Cardenas bridge in colonia Los Pirules in the La Mesa delegation. The speeding car was driven by a man. The 3 women found with injuries inside were daughters of the alleged perpetrator.
At almost the same time, on the Ermita bridge an orange and silver gray cab overturned into a ravine about 10 meters deep. Seven passengers were found with injuries, four adults, one of them the father of 3 children, reported the transit of the Municipal police section. Police stopped the driver of a Honda Civic car and another individual, who according to witnesses played games with the taxi on the Vía Rápida east. The Honda hit a public service unit, causing its driver to lose control and go into the ravine. The injured juveniles who were transferred to the General Hospital were 5, 8 and 10 years of age. http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/3/estatal/2013/01/02/640193/tragico-inicio-de-2013-en-tijuana.aspx
License Plates will Cost Only 9 Pesos More (El MEXICANO, 1/2/13 by LUCIA GÓMEZ SÁNCHEZ)
TIJUANA, BC- Citizens will pay nine pesos ($.69 US) more than last year to exchange 2013 license plates due to inflation, after the State Congress rejected an increase of 100 pesos ($7.72 US) asked for by the Government of the State. Emeterio Martínez Villegas, collector of rents of the State in Tijuana stressed there were no increases in vehicular control rights, while he assured that materials these documents are made of are now of better quality.
People who make their exchange in January 2013 will receive a discount of 12% and pay 997.85 pesos ($77 US), he said. He clarified that it is not a requirement to present a certificate of environmental vehicle verification, only damage insurance for 2008 cars and later. http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/noticias/1/3/estatal/2013/01/02/640246/costaran-placas-solo-9-pesos-mas-que-en-2012.aspx
More like this:
- Baja & Border News Translations: Theft of cables generates millions in losses; Tijuana Fire Department offers Open Water Lifeguard Certification; Children who ran-away are located; Second "Gasolinazo" of 2013 will come Saturday — Feb. 8, 2013
- Baja & Border News Translations: 17 Municipal Employees are Possible Addicts; Driver's Uncle Dies in Crash — Dec. 27, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Hostel San Vicente Receives Sedesoe Check; Wife of Alderman Dies in Crash — Dec. 15, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Water Rate Increase Proposed Due to Energy Costs; La Rumorosa Remains Open but Snow Continues — Dec. 15, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: 1,217 Pet Sterilizations Made During 2012; It Will Rain Wednesday and Thursday — Dec. 10, 2012