I never cared much for Carly Simon. By that I mean, I never cared much for her songs.

As a kid, I remember her hit “Anticipation” was a ketchup commercial. The song “You’re so Vain,” bugged me because it’s written poorly. I mean, she’s singing “You’re so vain/You probably think this song is about you.” And, well…at that point, the song is about him.

She also says “But you gave away the things you loved/And one of them was me.” Newsflash Carly: Maybe he didn’t love you, then. Maybe he was just trying to get you into bed, as you claim he does with women in the rest of the song.

But I digest, the late breakfast I just ate.

The fourth most famous Simon in music (behind Paul, Cowell, and even LeBon), is suing Starbucks Coporation. Not because someone spilled hot coffee on her, but she claims their now-defunct music venture, didn’t adequately promote an album of hers last year (This Kind of Love). The lawsuit claims the album wasn’t available in a number of the Starbucks stores during the key early months after its release. And when the disc was finally stocked, the price was slashed.

I think someone needs to tell Carly that…music is a tough sell these days. Paul McCartney, a friggin’ Beatle, signed with the Starbucks people as well. And his disc sold like crappuccino.

It’s going to kill her even more to see that Paul Anka, who has about a fourth of the talent Simon has, is going to be making millions very soon.

You see, the first Michael Jackson post-humous song (This is It) was co-written by Anka in the early-80s. He apparently recorded two songs with the King of Pop, back when he was just the prince of pop.

When Anka first heard the song, he made a phone call, and quickly worked out a deal to get half the publishing royalties.

Anka said he was going to re-release the song, and that it was all an honest mistake. And, with that tune being the theme song of the movie that’s going to be released in late October…Anka is probably going to be touring soon.

One of the gloves Michael Jackson wore in the Victory tour in the mid-80s, sold for over $70,000 at auction recently.

I’m guessing very soon, Anka will tour again. And he’ll be wearing gloves covered in diamonds.

Comments

psychopharm Oct. 14, 2009 @ 4:57 p.m.

I know that many artists allow their songs to be used in advertising because it gives exposure that they are actually getting paid for. The opinion is that if the song is on your mind, then you will buy it. For me, that doesn't hold true. I don't want to buy Jewel's "Intuition" because it makes me want to shave my legs.

I wonder if this song will end up on some commercial....what could it be used for?

Josh Board Oct. 14, 2009 @ 6:39 p.m.

And you know what? In my teen years, I always claimed bands sold out that did this. But sometimes, hearing a song in a commercial does expose people to it. I love the Cat Stevens song, after hearing it in that iphone commercial now (where the celebs hand the phone to each other).

I know when some songs are used in commercials and I hadn't heard them before (this happened with Coke, using a Paul Oakenfold)...I really dug the songs.

If I worked in radio though, any song on our playlist that was used in a current commercial, would get yanked. I don't need someone going thru the stations and thinking it's a commercial, and moving on to a different station.

Crissyst Oct. 14, 2009 @ 6:45 p.m.

Wasn't "You're So Vain" about James Taylor?? Now when I hear "Anticipation" not only do I think of ketchup but also your joke you told the other night. That was a scream.

A lawsuit seems to be the latest fad for "celebrities/muscians", what have you, in gaining back your waning or altogether lost fame. Hey I guess whatever gets your name on the internets.. now that newspapers are becoming obsolete.

I dig Paul Anka. Love "Put Your Head On My Shoulder". If he does tour, I'm taking my parents to go see him.

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 2:14 a.m.

Because I'm lame, I got on Facebook. Only to read about the variety of sandwiches people are having for lunch, what animals they got on some farm, and how they took a quiz and what it tells about them.

But, one person commented on this blog, that I needed to do my homework on Anka, as he has a great career as a songwriter.

Yeah, I know he wrote "She's a Lady", and a few big tunes Sinatra recorded (My way, I believe, is one). But that doesn't mean he's had a hit in a while. And even he, himself, said "When Michael Jackson died, I was thinking of a way I could release these two songs." So, he was looking for a way to cash in.

Regarding "You're So Vain," people speculated it was either Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty. I never heard James Taylor. And his personality doesn't fit the one of the character in the song.

mfisher7346 Oct. 15, 2009 @ 2:36 a.m.

So Paul Anka has a quarter the talent of Carly Simon? Do me a favour. You're obviously a little wet behind the ears, or possibly born during the last week.

Check out Paul Anka. He started writing and recording his own hits when he was 16 years old (in 1957). Among his songs you might have heard of are My Way (a hit for that little-known crooner Frank Sinatra), I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore (recorded by Buddy Holly shortly before his death) and Puppy Love (a huge hit for Anka in 1960, covered by Donny Osmond in 1972).

However, you're right about You're So Vain being a crap song. So are most of her others.

Russ Lewis Oct. 15, 2009 @ 3:02 a.m.

For what it's worth, mfisher7346, Anka's involvement with "My Way" was to translate Claude Francois's French lyrics. Probably his single best-known composition was the Tonight Show's theme song from the Carson years.

EastCoaster Oct. 15, 2009 @ 8:38 a.m.

Gosh, Josh! You ARE wet behind the ears, and don't know much at all about Paul Anka. Oh, and Josh, FLASH! Paul is on tour. You can view his schedule on his website. He is probably one of the few artists of his generation that did not get ripped off by music publishing or record companies, and if he does make "millions" off of "This Is It", he is certainly entitled to it. Your claim of him having a "fourth" of the talent is purely your dismal opinion. There are millions worldwide who, like me will disagree with you. Paul Anka is a multitalented artist, and a very smart businessman. Read up on your celebs before making condescending remarks.

amyliz Oct. 15, 2009 @ 9:52 a.m.

I had a writing professor who claimed "You're so vain" was really about him. He had dated Carly before James Taylor. I thought that was the most hilarious thing because he truly was the most vain person I have ever met. Every class he taught he used his own writings to teach from. We had to read all his essays when they were published as required reading. And he would often spend half of the class time telling us why his fake British accent sounded fake. So, I believe him--Carly's song really was about him, and all the other guys she'd come to realize were not interested in her half as much as they were interested in themselves. If you want to know who it is, you'll have to ask me in person.

So, there's a special place in my heart for Carly and her stupid song. I'd like to write a stupid song about a lot of people I've dated or been married too. Maybe I'll just write a stupid article instead.

But I digest...good for Paul Anka.

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 10:06 a.m.

I love how Paul Anka fans mention his hits, as examples of his "talent". Last I checked, Britney Spears had a lot of "hits". One being a song called something like "Baby Me One More Time".

And to mention a Buddy Holly song that NOBODY KNOWS, is hardly indicitive of his talent.

And again...songs like Puppy Love and Put Your Head on My SHoulders may have been hits, but I don't like them. If you want to talk about a songwriter that had talent, look at Carole King.

Not only is her album Tapestry amazing, but she road all those early 60s hits (Locomotion, etc).

Interesting story, amyliz. She recently (maybe two years ago), auctioned off a thing where she told the winner WHO the song was about.

I would've asked that guy if he had an ascott that was apricot.

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 15, 2009 @ 11:13 a.m.

That is CLASSIC!

Russ Lewis Oct. 15, 2009 @ 11:14 a.m.

If you look up the word "pointless" in the dictionary, you'll see a bunch of people arguing over which singers or musicians are better than others.

Josh, I sometimes think you're using a voice-recognition computer, because "road" is not the past tense of "write." Trust me on that.

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 11:39 a.m.

Hey Russ...I've mentioned this before, but always worth another mention. I type 120 words per minute. I had taken these court reporting classes, which teach you to type 225 words per minute. But you also do a form of shorthand, where you are typing words the way they sound. So, "cat" is spelled "kat". and "cesar salad" would be "szr sld". And for some reason, when I'm typing fast now, I type the way the word is sounding in my mind as I'm thinking of the point I'm trying to make.

The worst part of that is...if I don't re-read my post, I sound like a complete idiot. Even more so then the people that already think I am for my take on Paul Anka.

Now, regarding to arguments about which singers are better than others...here's a classic one I witnessed in my family a few months back.

A relative was making fun of my mom for liking Neil Diamond. He went on and on about how horrible Diamond was and cheesy, etc. Well, after an hour of listening to this, my mom brought up the fact that he likes (among other bands) Abba and Barry Manilow.

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a comeback my mom has had in any argument.

And that proves exactly the point you state above.

Russ Lewis Oct. 15, 2009 @ 11:52 a.m.

(#12) Yes, you've mentioned that you type this stuff a mile a minute, but I didn't know about the court reporter training. OK, that explains a lot.

antigeekess Oct. 15, 2009 @ 12:04 p.m.

"Yes, you've mentioned that you type this stuff a mile a minute, but I didn't know about the court reporter training. OK, that explains a lot."

That really shouldn't have any effect, russl. It's a totally different keyboard. You can see one right here:

You'll note that there are no letters on the keys. You can see what they represent in this diagram, though:

I studied the same thing for two years, and I don't have that problem.

PistolPete Oct. 15, 2009 @ 12:22 p.m.

As long as you guys aren't arguing over Britney Spears having more talent than Miley Cyrus,it's ALL cool. I'm afraid that my generation's support of truly horrible 90's music has completely killed music all together. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause to future generations.....

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 3:47 p.m.

Anti just has a problem admitting when she's wrong (see her definition of the word "dowry")

Just because you don't have a problem typing that way, doesn't mean others don't. I saw some people in court reporting school that could never type over 100 words per minute. Others that couldn't read their own short-hand notes. All people are different. We can't all be geniuses like you.

Russ Lewis Oct. 15, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

Let's clarify something, Josh, because after AG weighed in, I was confused in a way I wasn't previously. Okay. You are currently using a QWERTY keyboard, I'm sure, as I am. For the court reporting, were you using a QWERTY or stenographic keyboard? I'm quite aware that they are two different animals, but in your previous comment (#12) you make no mention of a stenographic keyboard, so I ASSumed that you were talking about a QWERTY keyboard. If stenographers are using that now, it's news to me, but then, plenty of things are. Just wondering.

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 4:17 p.m.

Well...it has been years since court reporting, so I can't answer that. What I'm talking about though, is the mind-set I, and many other court reporting students, is that sometimes you type in court reporting mode...other times, the opposite. Often times, you'd go into the typing room to type your court reporting notes...and you'd still be in that short-hand mode. We'd all laugh about it, because it would take a few minutes to get into the normal typing swing of things.

Now, for some reason that is unclear to me...that stuff still pops into my head as I'm typing fast. I'll sometimes (as you've seen), type the way a word sounds. So "wrote" might be "road". I've found often times, it's the word that was last used, or typed, by me. It's like my fingers remember that pattern of letters.

Russ Lewis Oct. 15, 2009 @ 4:24 p.m.

Research indicates that contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as "muscle memory," there seems to be only "brain" memory. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to accept that explanation. Thanks.

EastCoaster Oct. 19, 2009 @ 6:32 p.m.

JOSH!! A Buddy Holly song that "nobody knows"?? Why don't you ask Linda Ronstadt, or Don McClean, two more talented singer/songwriters who recorded it? How about the "Tonight Show" theme, heard for thirty some years every weeknight? Yes, it's a Paul Anka composition. She's A Lady, by Tom Jones, the theme to the motion picture "The Longest Day", too. I don't think these tunes, and the ones Paul performed himself would have gotten anywhere were it not for his songwriting talents. Ever been to one of his shows? Didn't think so. Carole King hasn't had a hit in many years since "Tapestry", but I wouldn't for a minute question her talent. Peter Frampton, too. He recorded countless albums and could not reproduce the success of "Frampton's Alive". Yet, he is another example of a multitalent. Please research before commmenting. Thanks.

Josh Board Oct. 20, 2009 @ 9:19 a.m.

Russ...it's not a "muscle memory" thing. I can't explain it. Believe me, I've tried after my mom questions things I said in email to her. And there's no reason why I would type "road" instead of "wrote". It's obviously not a spelling error, I'm sure you'd agree. And as I said...just because antigeek doesn't do it, there were others in my court reporting class that had complained of the same thing. They couldn't go into the room and type their notes right after a dictation, typing on a stenography machine, because we were all messed up in our minds.

When I'm typing really fast, I'm typing words the way they sound (sometimes).

East Coaster...you make some decent points. But let me shoot them down...as a Buddy Holly lover (I own one of his yearbooks I bought in auction, and numerous CDs), I know the song. But I think if you can mention a song by title to most people, and they won't know what it is, that means you can say "A buddy holly song nobody knows." As to someone covering it, that doesn't mean much. Hell, Guns N Roses covered a Charles Manson song. The Beach Boys did one or two Manson songs (before he was in jail). I'm still guessing "nobody" would know those songs if I said their titles.

Mentioning the Tonight Show theme, well...that's a stretch. Remember the scene in Broadcast News? Two goofy keys sitting at a cheap Casio keyboard, coming up with the newest news theme? I'm guessing guys like that, most notably for doing jingles, could come up with a "theme song" for a show.

And She's a Lady, as much as I love the tune...has to be given credit to Tom Jones. Are you telling me that if Joe Schmoe did that song, still written by Anka, it would've been a hit? I'm guessing no (and have you ever really dissected the lyrics? not a real well-written tune).

But you end strongly, in terms of hits by Carole King and Frampton, hardly being a judge of "talent".

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 20, 2009 @ 11:21 a.m.

We can't all be geniuses like you.

By JoshBoard

AntiGeek will never recover from that one :)

Russ Lewis Oct. 20, 2009 @ 11:43 a.m.

(#21) "They couldn't go into the room and type their notes right after a dictation, typing on a stenography machine, because we were all messed up in our minds." Ah, so you WERE typing on a stenotype machine. That's what I was getting at. OK, well, that totally explains it to me. Maybe or maybe not to AG, but to me.

Josh Board Oct. 20, 2009 @ 4:16 p.m.

Pete, she claimed my definition of "dowry" was wrong. I think I said it was a woman giving money to the mans family. I dunno...I can't remember the context now. She said that, if memory serves, that it's ONLY when a man gives the womans family money. Or maybe I'm getting that completely backwards. Either way, my definition was acceptable.

And russl, the weird thing about it is, the students that DID NOT get confused, always gave us crap. They said "How can you be confused? A typewriter/computer keyboard is completely different than the stenography machine." And while that is true, we just spent 45 minutes, or 30 minutes, listening to a teacher read a court case. And we're typing it in short hand. With words being abbreviated. It's a weird thing, like learning a new language. People that know multiple languages, and speak a different language at home, have been known to be talking to a person and say words in the language they speak at home, mixed in with English. I think of it as the same thing.

And lastly, for all the Paul Anka fans out there (who woulda thunk?) I give you this:

A guy in his early 90s died. I don't remember his name. It hardly matters, as none of you would know him. But you'd certainly know two of his very famous songs. He did the theme for The Adams Family and also Green Acres.

Why is The Tonight Show theme, that Anka wrote, so much better a song than those two tunes? Or any theme song, or jingle, for that matter?

towelheadedcameljockey Oct. 20, 2009 @ 4:25 p.m.

"she claimed my definition of "dowry" was wrong. I think I said it was a woman giving money to the mans family. I dunno...I can't remember the context now. She said that, if memory serves, that it's ONLY when a man gives the womans family money. Or maybe I'm getting that completely backwards. Either way, my definition was acceptable."

LET IT GO

Josh Board Oct. 20, 2009 @ 6:59 p.m.

Hey, thanks for posting that occ. That guy's done a lot of stuff.

I have no problem letting something go, when a person says "Oh yeah, I guess I was wrong." But when someone always comes on here correcting me, and then she's wrong about the definition of a word...I think the least she can do is own up to it.

EastCoaster Oct. 21, 2009 @ 9:19 a.m.

Josh, sorry, you shot, but missed. First, if the song is something know one knows about, you should bear in mind that it's primarily because it was written in the late 1950's. Second, the production was not in the usual Buddy Holly style, and sold accordingly. The Tonight Show theme a "stretch"?? Don't think so, but now that time has passed, as have Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon, it will depend on the age of the people you ask. Just hum a few lines, and most know exactly where that tune comes from. Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon almost instantly come to mind. You are right in giving Tom Jones the credit for "She's A Lady". The song fits his style much as "My Way" did for Frank Sinatra. And your statement of "She's A Lady" not being well written is merely your opinion. Yet you love the tune. But,I'll agree that it's not one of Paul's better songs. Oh, and the composer of "Green Acres" and "The Addams Family" was Vic Mizzy. I consider myself fortunate to be of an age where I can appreciate such talented people, and do not discount him because he may not be as well known. Unlike you, I don't consider composers to be people that "hardly matter", even if it's an artist that I have little appreciation for. To say that a song is one that "nobody knows" is a generalization. I think a better way of saying it (and a bit more polite way) would be that it is a minor hit, recorded over 50 years ago.

PistolPete Oct. 21, 2009 @ 11:26 a.m.

"LET IT GO"

C'mon now towel! Where's the fun in that? It's not like any of us losers have anything better to do,right?

Russ Lewis Oct. 21, 2009 @ 11:38 a.m.

(#30) Exactly what I thought it was. Why the confusion?

Russ Lewis Oct. 21, 2009 @ 12:05 p.m.

(#32) When a dictionary says something, that usually proves that a dictionary says something, at least as far as definitions and pronunciations go. When a misuse of a word becomes widespread enough, it finds its way into dictionaries, which, really, only represent "English as she is spoke."

or Oct. 21, 2009 @ 12:42 p.m.

why belittle my comment. I was only showing an alternative source someone could use. How often do you turn to a dictionary vs an encyclopedia. no need to be a snob about it.

PistolPete Oct. 21, 2009 @ 2:41 p.m.

I too found the Webster's link and saw the"definition"of dowry there as well. I was going to cherry pick the entry that stated that a dowry was a gift from a wife's family to her husband and I too thought the exact same thing as russl so I went with the actual encyclopedia entry instead. If you look up the word homer in the dictionary,it doesn't have a picture of a San Diego sports fan. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homer

or Oct. 21, 2009 @ 3:36 p.m.

Pete, I didn't cherry pick, it's the whole entry. BTW, I'm not disagreeing on the definition;I agree with it. Just showing a different interpretation. But note that none of the entries specifically states it comes from the woman. Most of them say the woman brings it (money, goods, or estate ect.). Most of the instances in which I've read about a woman's dowry, it usually has been from her family. The definition of homer:(or could it be Pete?) http://www.funbumperstickers.com/images/homer-simpson2.jpg

PistolPete Oct. 21, 2009 @ 4:21 p.m.

LMAO! That's me. I never stated that you cherry picked it,razor. The original definition of dowry was a gift given to a bride's husband from the bride's family as a way to keep the husband from mistreating their girl.