The rumors are that Debbie Rowe, the mother of Michael Jacksons children, has just made a settlement with the Jackson estate. They'll keep custody of the kids. She'll get custody of Michaelss nose. And she'll get the white glove on weekends.

No, seriously...the story is that she's supposedly going to accept four or five million bucks, to agree not to sue for custody of the kids.

I think it's silly for the Jackson estate to pay her a dime. She signed over her and Michael's kids years ago. It seems obvious that she had the children for his benefit. And when he was alive, they signed all the papers stating that he was the father, with sole (soul) custody.

But her pupils probably turned into dollar signs when she realized that having those kids would mean a lot of money coming her way.

The problem is, Jackson has a third child (Blanket, Prince, Glove, whatever that kids name is)... that has nothing to do with her. And no judge would separate the children.

Maybe they feel it's easier to just give her money to go away. It's what the Jacksons seem to have done with other problems over the years.

The other interesting story involves the pop of the King of Pop -- Joe Jackson (not to be confused with one of my favorite singer/pianists of the 80s).

A lot of people have problems with that fact that he's being paid to do interviews. Some people think it's disrespectful to Michael, that he would go and do interviews and share dirty laundry. But I think everyone realizes, this guy is all about making a buck for himself. He isn't worried about the bad PR. Not to mention, Michael and others had said so many bad things about him over the years, he probably welcomes the opportunity to say things "in his words."

Other people are knocking the TV networks for paying. ABC News claims they didn't pay him for his first interview (which lasted about 45 minutes).

I've always had mixed feelings about networks doing checkbook journalism.

As long as the viewer is away money changed hands, I don't think it really changes much of anything. ABC claimed to have paid for some footage, not for the interview. But most on the inside say that the two went hand-in-hand.

I read in the LA times that the city is going to pay the $1.4 million for the big Jackson celebration.

I read on an auction site that a signed copy of Thriller was going for over $1,000 (I bought one for my stepdad years ago for $200. If anyone wants it for a thousand, I'm sure he'd sell it).

In the Union-Tribune a few days ago, I saw someone selling a Thriller that wasn't signed, for $100.

Good luck with that. There were so many copies of that album sold when it came out, they're really not worth all that much.

In fact, I was at Amoebo Music in L.A. last year. Someone put a box of albums near the dumpster as I was leaving. I hopped out of my car to take a look.

A lot of crappy Earth, Wind, & Fire and Lionel Richie. But I did grab some Marvin Gaye records, a Diana Ross, and Jacksons Thriller and Off the Wall records.

One auction house sent me four leather bound catalogs of Jackson memorabilia a month before he died. They were going to sell. It included gold records, bizarre furniture, and some very well done paintings Michael had done himself (one of Mickey Mouse he did as a teenager, and signed "Mike Jackson").

I gave those to a friend of mine who was going to bid on a few of the nicer pieces of furniture she liked.

I wonder if she'd give those back to me if I asked for 'em.

Comments

rickeysays July 15, 2009 @ 3:43 a.m.

I knew as soon as I heard about Rowe talking about seeking custody that she was only doing it to get paid. Any mother who would give up custody of her kids in the first place isn't one that all of a sudden is going to want them back. She was an egg donor and she knows it. But I'm not so sure about your contention that no judge would break the kids up, so I'm glad they were able to pay her off.

towelheadedcameljockey July 15, 2009 @ 9:27 a.m.

GREAT opening paragraph. In fact, I laughed through a lot of this piece. I don't know how out of line Debbie Rowe is for seeking whatever it is she's seeking. The media chose to thrust her into the spotlight, and the pappo have been swarming around her estate for some time now. When you hit your limit, you start seeking out things you now feel do. Hell, she carried his babies and married the man. I don't know how the situation would be if she wasn't on the cover of every magazine and the talk of every TV show before even figuring out what it was going on, or what she wanted to do. I'll tell you what though, I'm sick of LaToya Jackson face being plastered everywhere. She reminds me of Octomom, not only because of her need to suck in all the media attention she can get but also her looks (minus the weight). Speaking of looks, does Joe Jackson look like a chubbier, black version of Vincent Price to anyone else?

Josh Board July 15, 2009 @ 9:46 a.m.

Hmmmmm...I don't see the Vincent Price look, exactly. Although Joe Jackson is scarier than any role Price ever played.

magicsfive July 15, 2009 @ 10:02 a.m.

so debbie rowe gets 4-5 mil yet the city of LA had to pay for the funeral? wtf? not that she deserves to have those kids.

Josh Board July 15, 2009 @ 10:26 a.m.

Okay...they just showed Joe Jackson on The View. I change my mind. Yes, he does look like Vincent Price. I would've never thought that, had you not said anything towelhead.

Exactly, magics. That is what is so annoying. The city/state continues to make these insane decisisions. The Lakers win a championship, and thugs burn up police cars and destroy the city. Yet, they'll have a parade for these idiots. And now the Michael Jackson funeral.

Getting back to Debbie Rowe...I find it odd that everyone keeps saying that her claims for money are horrible things to do to the kids. That they are going to read about their mom not wanting them, and just wanting money.

Well, that may be. But those same people, if they are so concerned about the children, don't seem to say anything about Michael Jackson making poor decisions constantly in his life, was also bad for the children. And I don't mean the dangling a child over the balcony. I think that is overblown and not even that big of a deal.

I'm talking about his obsession with other children, letting kids sleep in his bed, letting kids drink alcohol and look at nude photos...and his addiction to all the various things he seemed to be addicted to. Things are coming out now that there were times the kids wanted to see their dad, and were told "You know you can't bother him when he's in that room getting his oxygen."

Yet, everyone wants to talk about how Debbie Rowe is doing these things that are so horrible for the children to hear about.

towelheadedcameljockey July 15, 2009 @ 12:40 p.m.

From TMZ - "Rowe's Lawyer -- Debbie Doesn't Want MJ's Money

Debbie Rowe's lawyer just fired off a letter to the New York Post ... demanding a retraction of its story that Rowe has accepted $4 million to walk away from Michael Jackson's two eldest kids.

The letter -- written by Rowe's lawyer Eric George -- says "Among the several contenders for overzealous and inaccurate sensationalism, the New York Post has now seized top honors."

George says "Ms. Rowe has not accepted -- and will not accept -- any additional financial consideration beyond the spousal support she and Michael Jackson personally agreed to several years ago." This is a very significant statement and we've confirmed it with another Jackson source. "

lrobertson511 July 15, 2009 @ 1:14 p.m.

Who knows what is true, but one report said that Michael had not paid Debby everything he agreed to, just like he did not pay so many others. As for suing for custody, I think she should for two reasons. One, to make certain there is a restraining order on Joe Jackson to keep him from even being within 1000 yards of those children. It may be that she wants joint custody, once a month, just to provide a stable source outside of the media. This is one very dysfunctional family and when Kathryn dies who knows what will happen? I just hope they keep Grace with the children. She has cared for them since birth.

No one can control Joe. Joe Jackson is just a media whore, he proved that by promoting his company when his son had just died, and did that twice. He is not only dumb, but stupid not to understand how selfish he appeared. He only cares for himself.

But they are all looking to Michael for fame and more money. Thus the proposed tour 'in his honor', and the stupid reality show. It's really sad to see them all clawing for the spotlight of Michael's Death.

Josh Board July 15, 2009 @ 3:44 p.m.

Yeah, it's funny that Joe Jackson had such bad press PREVIOUSLY, because of how abusive he was to Michael as a boy (making fun of his looks, his nose, his acne, and beating him on several occasions). Because of this, I had a lot more sympathy for Michael, even when he bought oxygen chambers, elephant men, and little boys. A part of me felt he never had a normal childhood or upbringing, and how can you not sympathize with an adult that isn't normal, after having such a tough childhood.

SDaniels July 15, 2009 @ 7:27 p.m.

Re: #2: "Speaking of looks, does Joe Jackson look like a chubbier, black version of Vincent Price to anyone else?"

YES! (Sorry, Vincent).

Josh Board July 16, 2009 @ 1:35 a.m.

I'm glad nobody looks like Joe Jackson, the singer/songwriter. He's kinda creepy looking, too. He is bald, weird shaped head, kind of squinty eyes, and huge ears that put Obamas to shame.

He also has a sourpuss on his face 90% of the time.

I love his songs, though.

Josh Board July 16, 2009 @ 11:01 p.m.

Too many great songs of his to list: Sunday Papers, Is She Really Goin' Out With Him? I'm the Man, Real Men, Memphis...and there's a great ballad, perhaps one of the top 10 ballads ever written. No, not Breaking us in Two, which is nice. But...I can't even think of the name. It's something like "Be My Number Two" which sounds like a title Beavis & Butthead would come up with.

The lyrics:

Wont you be my number two Me and number one are through There won't be too much to do Just smile when I feel blue

And theres not much left of me What you get is what you see Is it worth the energy? I leave it up to you

And if you got something to say to me Dont try to play your funny games on me I know that its really not fair of me But my hearts seen too much action

And every time I look at you You'll be who I want you to And I'll do what I can do To make a dream or two come true If you'll be my If you be my number two

David Dodd July 16, 2009 @ 11:35 p.m.

Yes, it's called "Be My Number Two". Joe Jackson always impressed me with his ability to somehow channel New York City into mostly everything he wrote. You could picture it. You could maybe put yourself there, somehow. There isn't an "official video" that I can find, but here's the song:

The great thing about the internet is that it lets me live my past all over again.

Josh Board July 17, 2009 @ 8:19 a.m.

Yeah, that's true. The dude loves himself some NYC.

Although, I was so excited by the Night and Day II album (even with the nice singing of...oh shoot, what's her name? Ah, Marianne Faithful). The critics loved the record. I didn't care so much for it.