My day started off so well.

I got a call from my biggest rival in fantasy football. For 10 years we’ve been going back and forth about which of us has the worst luck. I seem to always have big name players that get hurt, or I play teams that score just a few points more than me; when, had I played anyone else in the league, I would’ve won.

He left a message on my machine. It said “I don’t want to ever hear you complain about your luck in this league again. A player on my team died!”

I hadn’t heard about Chris Henry and his domestic violence thing. I would’ve thought if an athlete died due to domestic violence, it would’ve been Tiger.

Isn’t the expression “a leopard doesn’t change its spots”? Well, it can be said that a “Bengal” doesn’t change its stripes.

Henry was drafted by Cincinnati in 2005, and got into trouble for speeding, driving without a license, marijuana possession, sexual assault, misdemeanor violation, drunk driving, and substance abuse. In 2008 he was arrested for physical assault, at which point the team was done with him. He promised to clean up his act and was re-signed.

He was in a truck with the woman he had three kids with, and some how during a fight, he fell out of the moving vehicle. My guess is…these kids might be better off in the long run.

When I called my friend back and said “Which of your players died, Brett Favre?” He asked why I thought it was Favre. I said “I figured he died of old age.”

The news had a few other interesting stories.

A guy got out of prison after DNA evidence cleared him of the rape of a 9-year-old boy. He spent 35 years in the joint and I’m guessing he’ll be paid millions.

I hope if he had any kind of previous record before being arrested, that he doesn’t get a dime.

One person that will get a few dimes, are the people that owned the high end cars that have been shown on Youtube. A valet service pulled a Ferris Beuller, and did donuts and crazy things in an underground parking garage, with cars that were dropped off. The company that owned the building/restaurant said that valet service was fired years ago. We’ll see what happens when people see their cars smoking on TV.

My day ended on a bad note, since I had to go to the DMV.

I got a number and had to wait over an hour.

I was trying to read the newspaper and a magazine. The woman next to me wouldn’t let that happen. She had a horrible little boy that kept kicking my legs, asking me where I was from, and terrorizing the entire DMV. A security guard gave him a piece of gum. His mom said “If you don’t behave, he’ll arrest you and throw you out of here.” The kid just said “No he won’t!” He then ran to a different area of the building.

The system of numbers is interesting. There’s a letter for the first 12 in the alphabet, each followed by numbers. I got D-081. So, you’d hear a voice say “A-34.” Then you’d hear “B-92.” I’m guessing they don’t just have a long list of numbers because they want to occasionally call some out of order, depending on what your business there is. And they don’t need angry people yelling that they have a higher or lower number than someone else.

The woman on the other side of me smelled like cigarettes.

When my turn came, the woman helping me seemed a bit angry. I imagine with her job, she’s used to people coming up and yelling at her for things that are their own fault.

My problem was easy. And like most people, it was my own fault.

I had sent my registration in back in October. Three weeks later I got a notice that I was supposed to have gotten my car smogged as well.

I went and got my car smogged at a place around the corner from me. They told me that they electronically let the DMV know, so I was set.

After a month, without receiving my registration or tags from the DMV…and a $25 parking citation outside of a restaurant in Hillcrest…I decided to pay them a visit.

I wasn’t angry with the person helping me. None of this was her fault. She looked at the computer and said “The place that smogged your car never notified us.”

I showed her proof I got it smogged and she gave me the sticker. She had problems with her printer as they tried to print out my current registration. After a few minutes, that was fixed and I was on my way.

Now I have to debate what I’m going to do with the place that smogged my car. They had originally told me it would be $25 more without the paperwork from the DMV (when I just stopped by there without it). I went home and came back with the paperwork.

I’m going to ask them for the $25 back. I’m sure they’ll say no.

I’ll settle for a free oil change.

Comments

rickeysays Dec. 18, 2009 @ 12:28 a.m.

If you haven't paid the parking ticket yet, I'm guessing if you go down there, or send copies of everything in the mail to them, depending on how they do it, you probably won't have to pay the ticket. It's worth a shot.

redsoxfan Dec. 18, 2009 @ 12:39 a.m.

I think you have a legitimate beef with the smogging place. They basically took a few hours of your day from you when they didn't do something that they should have done. Good for you for going back and standing up for yourself.

I also liked your attitude towards the DMV lady. Like you said, she probably deals with lots of people who are upset and blame her when something goes wrong. Having worked customer service and retail, you're the person the customer pastes as the first line of the company you represent. As this, they take it out on you. I always took things with a grain a salt with these people as I tried to explain the situtation. 95% of the time, I would calm them down...the other 5%, there's just no reconciliation to them. My point being that I'm like you, Josh, in that I don't blame the contact person of a large company/gov't entity for something that was done on a collective whole. Of course their are several variables, but when I stand up for something, or argue a point to customer service folks, I always give that person the benefit of the doubt and relax. No one wants to help you if you're yelling at them or making a scene in public...

KarenBP Dec. 18, 2009 @ 1:16 a.m.

OMGosh, the DMV. A nightmare anytime, every time. i have to go in March and i am already dreading it...

Sad about Chris Henry. Not the best "rap" sheet in his past, but 26 is so young to die.

David Dodd Dec. 18, 2009 @ 1:26 a.m.

The smog thing is such a joke. Somehow, it always costs extra money, even if you're clean. It makes me wonder.

I am in first place in my fantasy football league (and kicking ass in my first play-off game, thank you), but Chris Henry was on IR, so your friend isn't so smart if he (or she) didn't drop him a long time ago, regardless of his tragic death. And it is sad, aside from that. The guy really was trying to straighten his stuff out.

Josh Board Dec. 18, 2009 @ 1:50 a.m.

refried, you are correct. that guy told me a few hours ago, he had dropped him a long time ago.

who is on your fantasy team? i'm curious as to what roster of players gets a winning team. surely not one that drafted adrian peterson in the first round...or any of those top 3 quarterbacks.

henry may have been "trying" to straighten his life out. but a friend of mine said it best today on the phone. he said, "I found out that guy was from the suburbs. at first, i thought he was probably from some ghetto. but no. this guy had a normal, regular childhood. he was just a headcase."

and, i don't think someone like that changes. not at 26.

David Dodd Dec. 18, 2009 @ 2:44 a.m.

I drafted sixth out of ten.

1. (6) Maurice Jones-Drew
  2. (15) Frank Gore
  3. (26) Marques Colston
  4. (35) Kurt Warner
  5. (46) Vincent Jackson
  6. (55) Dallas Clark
  7. (66) Kevin Walter (Dropped later, replaced with Miles Austin on Waivers)
  8. (75) LenDale White (Dropped later, replaced with Rickey Williams on Waivers)
  9. (86) Jerricho Cotchery (Dropped later, replaced with Sidney Rice on Waivers)
  10. (95) San Diego Defense
  11. (106) Ryan Longwell
  12. (115) Tim Hightower
  13. (126) Muhsin Muhammad (Bye-week fill in, then dropped for Defense)
  14. (135) Kyle Orton (Bye-week fill in, then dropped for defense)
  15. (146) John Carlson (Bye-week fill in, then dropped for defense)

I went 13-1 regular season. I'm currently up 47.5 to 7.3 in the first of two play-off games. I'm pretty sure that I'll win this one, the final will be tougher. Stick with your major players, change defenses to fit the match-up after the bye-weeks are over.

Josh Board Dec. 18, 2009 @ 8:39 a.m.

Good team, although...with only 10 teams in the league IT SHOULD be a good looking team. I'm sure you're a tad disappointed with Gore, but Maurice surely made up for that, and Hightower had some nice games. Vince Jackson was probably a steal for ya.

We have 16 teams in my league, so my studs are Tony Romo, Steven Jackson, and DeAngelo Williams. My tight end was Owen Daniels, who was leading the league, until he got injured!

David Dodd Dec. 18, 2009 @ 12:48 p.m.

I think the key to this fantasy football stuff is in spotting the right match-ups and playing accordingly. For example, I'm not playing Gore this week, I'm going with Williams. I played Gore last week, and he did very well. But yes, Jackson is a guy you play every week, he's been great this year.

Josh Board Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:31 p.m.

Actually, that isn't the key. I think when you have great players (Gore, for example) you play them each week. It doesn't matter if the Niners are playing a team that is top in the league at stopping the run. Great players still get their stats (and TDs). The worst thing a fantasy football manager/owner can do, is over-think all this stuff.

Now, if Gore missed the last two weeks because of injury, and he's not 100%...then you can think about playing someone on your bench instead, and checking out the matchups.

With fantasy football, the two keys to winning are: drafting well and getting value at your spots -- whether you draft first, 5th, or 12th in a 12 team league (which actually is a nice spot, because you always get two picks in a row). The other think you need is LUCK. You need to avoid injuries, and have players produce the way you assumed they would or the way their stats indicated they might from previous seasons.

David Dodd Dec. 19, 2009 @ 1:43 p.m.

I agree you need luck, and I agree that you don't overthink your roster settings, but playing some players in match-ups is necessary. I have 2 RB slots and 4 RB's. Jones-Drew is a play every week because no matter who Jacksonville plays he's going to be integral in the offense. With Ronnie Brown out for the year, Ricky Williams becomes almost in the same category as Drew. Miami has to give the ball to him now, and he's responded well.

Last week I played Gore instead of Williams because the 49'ers play well against Arizona and it was the correct move. This week I sit Gore because the 49'ers are at the Eagles and they'll probably have to play catch-up for most of the game. The other thing about Gore is that the 49'ers have started playing a spread offense now, which reduces his role. He's still a good RB and I would use him if I didn't have any other options.

Receivers, I play Colston and Jackson every week. In my third slot, I play either Rice or Austin, depending on how much I think their respective teams are going to pass. Obviously, against the Saints, I'll play Austin this week.

It's the same with team defense, I think that unless you have a defense in the top three in the league, you have to play the match-up. This week, I picked up Houston's defense on waivers. Not because I think they have a great defense, but because they are playing the Rams.

rickeysays Dec. 19, 2009 @ 1:56 p.m.

It sounds like defenses are worth too much in your league. You guys should decrease their point value. Who wants to win or lose based on what your defense did?

David Dodd Dec. 19, 2009 @ 2:20 p.m.

I can't say for Josh, but I play in a Yahoo! league, with the default league settings.

Offense: Passing Yards = 1 point per 25 yards

Points Allowed 1-6 points = 7
Points Allowed 7-13 points = 4
Points Allowed 14-20 points = 1
Points Allowed 21-27 points = 0
Points Allowed 28-34 points = -1
Points Allowed 35+ points = -4

You would be surprised what you can score on defense. Last week, Tennessee's defense got me 21 points. The week before that, Cincinnati brought 17. It's all about the match-up.

Josh Board Dec. 21, 2009 @ 7:44 p.m.

I saw Gore (who I believe you sat), got just over 100 yards!

My league gives the same things for offensive players, but we have a low scale going for defenses.

And geez, you should've been starting Austin every week! He became Romos favorite target by the third week of the season.