For the first time in history, an astronaut was out in space, and had to mourn the loss of a family member.

His 90-year-old mother was driving, and hit a train.

I'm not sure how. But then, I'm not sure what a 90-year-old is doing behind the wheel.

Every few days, you read about an old person driving thru a building. They say they thought the gas was the brake.

Can we not just take away your license when you reach the age of 75? Seriously. Even if they aren't driving into buildings, they're doing 45 on the freeway. That is dangerous.

I made the mistake of saying this in front of a 65-year-old, that rattled off some statistic about teenage drivers being the biggest hazard on the road.

I don't dispute that. Hey...if we want to make the age 21 for getting a drivers license, fine. The problem is, young people behind the wheel, are always going to want to drive fast and do stupid things.

Old people, I believe, don't intend to do stupid things behind the wheel. They just do.

And, I'm not even talking about the number of ones that have a heart attack or stroke, and kill a family of four, when their car veers onto the other side of the road.

What will it take to get a law passed? Next time I'm on the road, I'll call someone that knows. Believe me, I can drive and talk on the cell, and still drive and be more aware of my surroundings, then these old fogies.

Comments

Josh Board Dec. 27, 2007 @ 11:08 a.m.

Well, every two weeks is a bit extreme, but yeah. If we need to have a service where they are driven around, that the taxpayers pay for, I have no problem with that.

Anonymous Dec. 27, 2007 @ 5:54 p.m.

I agree and would also like to see the DMV do a yearly driving exam on any person over age 65.

fifibutton Dec. 27, 2007 @ 3:52 a.m.

Aww poor old folks. Some of them are still quite good at 80 and 90 but most have failing eyesight and Parkinsons's disease or arthritis. And then of course there's early dementia. I have to agree, their case does not look good. I think they should take a fitness test every 2 weeks after the age of 65 and as soon as they start showing the signs, the licence should be revoked. But to compensate the elderly, we could create a new industry in younger chauffers and assign them to be the desgnated drivers for the oldies until they die.

Anonymous Dec. 27, 2007 @ 11:50 p.m.

I was rear ended at a stoplight last month by an old lady. You know what her excuse was? She hit the gas instead of the brake.

Josh Board Dec. 28, 2007 @ 1:32 a.m.

I think 65 might be a little young to start that, but definitely 70. The thing I can't figure out is this. If you're old, and walking slow in the mall, it's understandable. But, no excuse for driving slow. It takes no effort to put your foot on the gas, and go above 40 mph. I remember this actor...I forget his name. African American dude, was the boss on TV show Herman's Head. And played Sandra Bullocks boss in some cheesy movie about somebody in a coma, falling in love with her. Anyway, he had a heart attack and died while he was driving. I remember I had interviewed him the month before! And, it seems, every few months, a senior citizen dies behind the wheel. Two years ago, in Rancho Bernardo, I was getting an oil change. I saw cops all over the bank, and assumed it was robbed. When I went to pick up my car, I saw that what had happened, was someone drove thru the bank (thinking the gas was the brake). It killed a 4-year-old girl and broke the parents leg. Not sure if it was an old person, but my guess is that it was.

redsoxfan Dec. 28, 2007 @ 6:08 a.m.

Sorry Josh, I believe 65 is a good age to start mandatory yearly driving exams. So much can change for an older person from year to year. And if they're old enough to collect Social Security, then they're old enough to take themselves to the DMV every year so they don't kill anyone else thinking the brake is the gas....or vice-versa. But then again, the elderly might be like the teenagers and drive without licenses as well!! :-) Its a Catch-22 I tell ya...

Josh Board Dec. 28, 2007 @ noon

Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind 65 (hey, that sounded so Sammy Hagar). It's just, you start doing that, the DMV is even more swamped with work, because of all the testing they have to do. And, it makes it more expensive for them, and us, and time consuming, in the long run. And, you have to decide....are 65 year old drivers REALLY that much of a problem? IF 1 in 500 is, that doesn't warrant all the extra testing. Yet, if it's 70, I'm sure the number is a lot higher, and worth all the extra testing.