Image

the Lakeside Rodeo is this weekend and u still have time to go

it's at El Capitan Stadium in Lakeside and starts a 2PM today

Image

if u've never been to a Rodeo...try ur hand at it......Lakeside is mighty proud of it's rodeo...it's been going on here for 46 years

Image

there's as much going on here in the way of events as u'd see at any BIG Rodeo

Image

and u'll have a lot closer veiw in this adequate but smaller stadium

when i lived in Oregon i went most years to the one in Pendleton...that one and the one in Calgary r big draw for Rodeo folks...i knew the peeps who provided most of the bucking broncs...the Ratrees.....and everyears we had a High School Rodeo with our County Fair...watching the little kids try to ride the goats was a blast...i don't know if they have that at the Lakeside Rodeo

Image

well times a wastin'...and it's too much dust in ur face time for me...

it's off to the rodeo

Comments

CuddleFish April 25, 2010 @ 3:35 p.m.

Ooooh, nan, I remember the Lakeside rodeo from when I lived in Lakeside! Hope you have a good time! :)

Joe Poutous April 25, 2010 @ 6:41 p.m.

My aunts an uncles were rodeo athletes (dad's family). One uncle went pro. He spent years touring with the Bull Riding circuit.

I have some happy childhood memories of the Lakeside rodeo.

• Joe

nan shartel April 26, 2010 @ 1:18 p.m.

we did Cuddles...but boo hoo...i didn't see any of those great Elephant Ears the moms used to make out of frozen bread fried to perfection and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon :-(

nan shartel April 26, 2010 @ 1:34 p.m.

joe ...that's so much like my family...but it was Barrel Racing...my grandaughter was fetched by a rancher when i lived in Oregon (small town 800 people)

she used to go out and exercise his horses..many of the girls did...girls and horses ...what can i say...

he thought she had some talent and trained her to barrel race...the horse already knew how...hahahahahahahahaha...a cut horse...she did well on the high school circuit but moved and quit along the way

i left San Diego as a relatively Cosmopolitan woman ... unschooled in country living..my son and his wife followed us there with 3 kids...girls..he was a pipe fitter and always worked far from home and it didn't matter where he and his family lived because he had to travel for work anyway

i told him right off that his daughter would end up married to some ranchers son to bring new blood into the close family ties

hahahahaha...it was a 5 generational town...the kids often left for college but about 70% came back...to take over the ranches and farms...and marry a town girl whether she was distantly related or new but had been raised in the town

those grandchildren consider that town their hometown 'til this day

Joe Poutous April 26, 2010 @ 2:14 p.m.

My grandfather ran cattle on 3 sq miles of lakefront property outside of Klamath Falls when I was a teenager. Beautiful country.

I spent a summer working up there once. I remember how the sky would blacken every twilight with thick clouds of mosquitoes.

Good times. Sometimes it makes me sad that my sons might never experience being around animals and hard work like that. Who knows.. - Joe

nan shartel April 27, 2010 @ 9:56 a.m.

Klamath Falls is a swampy place...for the sake of the bird refuge

and u have every right to be sad for ur son because there's just nothing like it...Bobby and i were hired to help calve first timers one year in winter...that was quite an experience...i was so funny..i'd worked for years in a neonatal unit and delivery room and thought i was supposed to catch the calves and they came out...the whole town laughed for weeks about that

did u go up for round up to the feeding pens or for branding and inoculations

my granddaughters got to feed bummer calves and lambs for 4H...learned to shear sheep...i'm so glad they were raised in the country...went to schools that had very small classroom sizes

in a town that was safe..my grandkids were allowed to walk to my house (5 Blks) when they were 5 years old...and every older person in town considered themselves their grandparents

i considered it Brigadoon!!!

Joe Poutous April 27, 2010 @ 10:57 a.m.

We were up there to just work on the ranch. Maintenance, picking up heavy things - walk - set down heavy things. That kind of stuff.

"Hold this while I weld it"

I remember helping with branding and doctoring before the Barona PowWow.. years ago, when there was still a round up. I also remember helping my grandfather in his small butchershop on the side of the barn. The smell of the butchershop is still in my memory.

• Joe

nan shartel April 27, 2010 @ 11:36 a.m.

oh yeah...many a year we purchased a whole steer or lamb or pig freshly butchered on a farm or ranch...farm eggs when available..from free range chickens

when i first moved there my neighbors told me i need a large freezer....a garden and at last 3 dozen canning jars...hahahahahahaha...i never learned to can

but i did learn to make freezer jam

we couldn't usually grow corn because of the short growing season..but plenty of squash and rhubarb and asparagus...which came back as volunteers after the first planting...tomatoes

oh they're good right off the vine...i grow them here now

BACON!!!...the divine swine as Paula Deen would say...the town butcher would smoke and cure it for the town folk

can u tell i miss living there...hahahahahahahaha

Joe Poutous April 27, 2010 @ 12:25 p.m.

I just finished eating a really good tomato. Thick sliced on sweet oat bread with salt and pepper.

"also venison...with carcasses hanging from about half the trees in town after the season cover with cheese cloth"

My grandfather had lines of barbed wire about 8 feet off the ground strung from the fascia so he could dry venison jerky. They would hang there like flags all over the house. He would give out big paper bags of the best damn jerky in the world to all his friends.

Cowboy? No, I'll stick to being a hot rodder that knows too much about computers.

Do you still make jam Nan? I'll take a jar of Strawberry!

• Joe

CuddleFish April 27, 2010 @ 1:01 p.m.

Wow, what great memories, the two of you!!! :)

nan shartel April 27, 2010 @ 9:43 p.m.

strawberry is the best one!!!

and i do sill make it

jerky...now ya got me goin'

i made it and made jerky for me and all my dogs and my friends dogs

but that was usually beef jerky

i would have loved to see ur grandfathers jerky rig..it sounds like prayer flags to the deer spirits who had given themselves to the hunters...the Celilo Indians down near The Dalles did that...they alway got first catch on salmon on the Columbia and dried that 2

CuddleFish April 27, 2010 @ 10:13 p.m.

Wow, nan, what a cool thing to know and share.

nan shartel April 27, 2010 @ 10:33 p.m.

oh hun..ridin' the Pow Wow Highway and going to Rendezvous's was a summer staple for me when i was up there..i was intimately involved with people of 4 different tribes

the book i'm writing is about Native Americans from Inuits in Northern Canada to Navajos in the 4 corners