8:09 p.m., July 28
Hitchcock-tober unveils 9 digitally remastered masterworks
Nothing you see in a San Diego movie theatre all year could possibly come close to matching the experience of Hitchcock on the big screen. Away with Blu-ray! For the first time in its history, Reading Cinemas annual Hitchcock-tober celebration is going all DCP. That's right, digitally remastered copies of 9 of the Master's greatest tales.
At $7 a seat, it's a bargain at twice the price. If you have never seen Shadow of a Doubt, or North By Northwest, or any of these films for that matter, it's time to climb back on the turnip truck. If your memories of these titles abound with images of scratchy prints or fuzzy video copies, it's time for a serious reevaluation. Hitchcock, perhaps more than any other director, works best with an audience. Even if you know where the jumps occur in Rear Window, it's always fun to watch the newbies bounce around the theatre.
Thanks to Reading Cinema's Ms. Deering for retiring the video discs. Please repay the kindness by supporting the program and packing both the Reading's Gaslamp and Town Square Cinemas. And remember, it's back to business as usual with 3 free hours of parking at Horton Plaza.
More like this:
- One night only: Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder in 3D — Oct. 28, 2014
- Studio collagist Jacques Kapralik created the fabric of Hollywood ballyhoo — Sept. 10, 2013
- Opening this week: See Fecha de Caducidad at the Digital Gym before it expires — Aug. 9, 2013
- Midnight Madness Returns In Style to The Ken — June 12, 2012
- "Hitchcocktober" Returns to Reading's Gaslamp and Town Square Cinemas — Sept. 29, 2011