Ian Anderson 3 p.m., Sept. 25
New releases opening this week: Drinking Buddies, Closed Circuit and more
This is really Scott's week. I mean, every week is Scott's week, but he usually doesn't make it quite so obvious. He's kind that way. Anyway, let's get the big news out of the way: FIVE STARS FOR ONE DIRECTION: THIS IS US. You know, because Scott's household god Marty is in it for a few minutes, er, seconds. These are the things you must understand if you're gonna hang here.
Of course, there's also the matter of this week's cover story, profiling the movie lover's mecca that is Kensington Video, aka, Netflix Beta, aka, the greatest video store on the West Coast. For a while there, I lived on East Mountain View Drive. I could walk there. Sigh.
Hey, did you see Ip Man? How about Ip Man 2? No? Then clearly, it's time for a reboot with an impressive directorial pedigree: The Grandmaster. But some things remain stubbornly unclear to Scott, who wasn't impressed.
And me? I put down the moonshine long enough to check out Ain't Them Bodies Saints. I liked it fine, but wasn't sure what urgency gave rise to its existence. Beyond maybe the score and the look of the thing.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Gravity, When Comedy Went to School and more — Oct. 4, 2013
- New releases opening this week: The Great Gatsby and some other less exhausting things — May 10, 2013
- New releases opening this week — March 1, 2013
- Movies opening this week — Jan. 18, 2013
- Opening this week - UPDATED — Oct. 19, 2012