Dave Rice 8:30 a.m., March 5
Opening this week - UPDATED
A bit of an odd week; still, let's have at it.
Aaron Paul and Mary Elizabeth Winstead get drunk in Smashed, but while the film shows the downside of having your wife be your best drinking buddy (especially when she stays out all night and smokes crack), it doesn't really get at the fun part. Slurred Karaoke and passing-out sex? Oh, well. The acting is good and actory.
I think I'm officially too old for Tai Chi Zero, but I did get the sense that it could be hugely entertaining for certain folks.
I don't think Scott cared much for War of the Buttons.
I don't think he cared much for Alex Cross either. I heard him telling someone, "Even if you haven't seen Alex Cross, you've seen Alex Cross."
The Oranges attempts to wring laughs out of an extremely awkward situation. Hey, it's New Jersey!
UPDATE: Scott just threw a rock through the window of the bar where I'm currently prepping for my role in Smashed 2: Simply Smashing, and tied to this rock is a note that says I forgot to mention Least Among Saints and Bringing Up Bobby, both opening at the Gaslamp. Whaddya know - he's right!
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Drinking Buddies, Closed Circuit and more — Aug. 30, 2013
- Opening this week — Jan. 4, 2013
- Be the first in your town to see Paranormal Activity 4 — Sept. 27, 2012
- White Crane Spreads Its Wings Three Years Later — Feb. 22, 2007
- White Crane Spreads Its Wings — Jan. 12, 2006