Don Bauder 10:30 p.m., July 24
New releases opening this week: Before Midnight, The Matchmaker, and more
Let's get the drunken stumbles out of the way: we have not yet seen the magician caper flick Now You See Me. To make up for this gross oversight, here are the first four minutes, free of charge:
Wasn't that fun? We'll see it, really we will. And we'll get back to you. In the meantime...why not go see Before Midnight? You know, if you're into long takes of a couple talking through midlife over the course of an afternoon and evening. I liked it a lot - it's always fun to see a handsomer, more articulate version of yourself on screen.
Have you been to the Digital Gym? You should go. Your cineastes are looking a little flabby. Now is a perfect time - they're running a special on The Matchmaker! Scott loved it!
I enjoyed Matt Patches' think-piece on how After Earth was Will Smith's love letter to Scientology. But I didn't enjoy After Earth so much, and not because of anything to do with its religious underpinnings. Notable exception to my lack of enjoyment: Will Smith's deep, honeyed delivery.
Scott saw Sightseers so you don't have to see Sightseers.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Rush, Don Jon, and much, much more! — Sept. 27, 2013
- Everyone complains about the weather... — July 31, 2013
- New releases opening this week: Star Trek Into Darkness, The Iceman — May 17, 2013
- New releases opening this week: Graceland, Mud, Upstream Color and more — April 26, 2013
- Kevin Smith Is an Evil Wizard — May 22, 2012