Chad Deal 6 p.m., Oct. 26
Esther Williams was an odd footnote to movie history. The record-setting competitive swimmer found a place in Hollywood where, in the '40's and '50's, she left her watermark on a series of "aquamusicals".
If you find today's movies lacking in substance, when it came to Esther's Aquacades, you paid for the synchronized-swimming and ducked out for a smoke during the dialog scenes.
Williams experimented with LSD in 1959 after reading an interview with acid champion, Cary Grant. I hope she downed a couple of tabs in preparation of watching a dye-transfer print of Million Dollar Mermaid. Then again, with the hallucinatory Technicolor on display in her MGM musicals, who needs drugs?
She also married the marvelous looking Fernando Lamas and had a step-son named Lorenzo.
Esther Williams died today in Los Angeles. She was 91. No news yet as to whether or not she'll be buried at sea.
Let's take a moment to remember Ms. Williams as we best knew her: underwater.
More like this:
- Love, Darlene — May 31, 2013
- Happy birthday to the King, and I don't mean Elvis! — Dec. 5, 2012
- Free movies of the week: Logomania — Sept. 21, 2012
- Free movies of the week - big themes edition. — Sept. 14, 2012
- Will Reese Witherspoon Succumb to the Generation-Award Curse? — June 6, 2011