Bob McPhail 5:30 p.m., May 25
Free movies of the week: director's trailer park
As much as I applaud Matt's idea of alerting our minions to free movies online, I still cannot in good conscience watch a feature on a 15-inch computer monitor. It's bad enough having to screen so many movies for the first time on a television screen. There's something downright impure about holding a movie in your lap.
There are cords out there that enable one to stream YouTube on their TV set. I'll eventually warm up to the idea. Trailers are a different story. They are basically commercials and as such, don't suffer as much when reduced to a laptop. Here are a few favored coming attractions that feature auteurs as ad pitchmen.
Here is another reason why I'm loathe to use YouTube as my portal of ecstasy. The yutz who downloaded Hollywood Extra Girl -- featuring Cecil B. DeMille at his nastiest -- did so in the wrong aspect ratio! It's still worth a look, especially for you people down there, "chattering like a bunch of little monkeys!"
More like this:
- Free movies of the week - big themes edition. — Sept. 14, 2012
- Free movies of the week: dead and undead edition. — Aug. 31, 2012
- New feature: free movies of the week. — Aug. 24, 2012
- There Is Something Haywire About Releasing the First 5 Minutes of Haywire — Jan. 12, 2012
- Big Screen Stomach-Bug Blog: Part 1 — July 4, 2011