Matt Potter 6:30 p.m., May 5
SD Asian Film Festival Screens Wang Quan'an's Apart Together
The first of this year's San Diego Asian Film Festival's quarterly screenings will be held on February 28 at UltraStar Mission Valley. Wang Quan'an's Apart Together was the opening night selection at the 2010 Berlin International Film Festival, where it subsequently took home Best Screenplay honors.
Xu Caigen, Lisa Lu, and Ling Feng in a scene from Apart Together.
In 1949, veterans of the Nationalist Army fled to Taiwan after losing the mainland to the People’s Republic of China. Thinking his stay in Taiwan would be a short one, like many soldiers, Liu Yansheng (Feng Ling) left behind a pregnant bride. After spending 50 years in Taiwan, Liu returns to his native Shanghai when Taiwanese soldiers are finally permitted to visit the mainland, Liu has come in search of his wife Yu'e (Lisa Lu), only to discover that she now has a family of her own.
Apart Together screens at 7 p.m. on February 28 at UltraStar Mission Valley at Hazard Center. Tickets are $10 for general and $7 for members. For more information or to purchase tickets online, visit SDAFF.org.
More like this:
- Apart Together: Asian Film Screening Tonight — Feb. 28, 2012
- Does Your Film Have What It Takes to Play the SD Asian Film Festival? — Jan. 26, 2012
- Asian Festival Brings Down the Curtain — Oct. 28, 2011
- 12th Annual San Diego Asian Film Festival Promises Fresh Hou Hsiao-Hsien and More! — Oct. 11, 2011
- Nancy Kwan in Person & Hopefully Hou in 35mm at Asian Film Festival — July 8, 2011