Daniel Powell 10 a.m., Feb. 10
Apart Together: Asian Film Screening Tonight
Tonight ushers in the San Diego Asian Film Festival's first quarterly screening of 2012.
Wang Quan'an's Apart Together, a bittersweet love story about sacrifice and second chances, was the opening night film of the 2010 Berlin International Film Festival, where it took home the Best Screenplay award.
In 1949, veterans of the Nationalist Army fled to Taiwan after losing the mainland to the People’s Republic of China. Thinking his stay in Taiwan would be a short one, like many soldiers, Liu Yansheng (Feng Ling) left behind a pregnant bride.
After spending 50 years in Taiwan, Liu returns to his native Shanghai when Taiwanese soldiers are finally permitted to visit the mainland, Liu has come in search of his wife Yu'e (Lisa Lu), only to discover that she now has a family of her own.
Apart Together screens at 7 p.m. at UltraStar Mission Valley at Hazard Center. Tickets are $10 for general and $7 for members. For more information or to purchase tickets online, visit SDAFF.org.
More like this:
- ArtPower! Screens Liu Bingjian's Crying Woman Tonight — Feb. 2, 2012
- SD Asian Film Festival Screens Wang Quan'an's Apart Together — Feb. 2, 2012
- Update on Asian Film Festival Screening of The Viral Factor — Jan. 20, 2012
- San Diego Asian Film Foundation Screens A Good Husband Tonight — Dec. 13, 2011
- Casual Passion — March 2, 2006