San Diego State basketball announcer Ted Leitner blew his stack yesterday afternoon as the Aztecs lost a squeaker to New Mexico at the Mountain West Conference title game held in Las Vegas.

Video:

Audio of Leitner's tantrum

Audio of Leitner's tantrum

Audio of Leitner's tantrum

The meltdown came during the most exciting part of the game, as New Mexico rallied to win. But Leitner's audience didn't catch everything because he was yelling about security personnel complaining about a suitcase sitting behind the longtime San Diego announcer.

Sports media are giving Leitner the raspberries this morning (March 16) over the unprofessional blowup.

Comments

viewer March 16, 2014 @ 1:42 p.m.

Why not add a comment from the non-sport-media. Hence why not Don say further to his/Don's above.~ There's more than just "raspberries" to the flavor of this story.~~

Don Bauder March 16, 2014 @ 6:11 p.m.

viewer: Yes, I can do that. Best, Don Bauder

jemsd March 16, 2014 @ 2:10 p.m.

You can listen to the whole thing on You Tube if you have nothing better to do. I always thought Leitner was arrogance personified but I can understand how people feel better about themselves by listening to him,,,, ( want some ice for that burn Ted?). I'd hate to be his waiter.

Don Bauder March 16, 2014 @ 6:12 p.m.

jemsd: I submitted a U-tube of Leitner spouting off, but as far as I can tell, it has not run. I am checking on it. Maybe there is a reason. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 16, 2014 @ 9:10 p.m.

Burwell: Many thanks. We now have two of the U-tubes up. I submitted it with the original copy, but dashed off to a concert plus an after-concert reception and didn't realize the U-tube had not been posted until the evening. Now it's up twice for all to hear.

It seems to me that a professional announcer should know how to handle himself/herself when there is an interruption. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill March 16, 2014 @ 10:12 p.m.

I find TL to be very annoying in general but really I don't think this episode was that bad. Unless the security guards had a good reason to believe there was an imminent threat I think they could have waited for a break.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 7:26 a.m.

ImJustABill: In putting this together early Sunday afternoon, I noted that most sports media I saw were critical of Leitner, but at least one was critical of the security personnel in Vegas. One could look at it both ways, but I still say that a professional announcer should know how handle such a situation without cheating the audience of the excitement.

I did watch the game on TV; Leitner's audience missed some critical action as the game wound down and he was raging about security personnel. Best, Don Bauder

chendri887 March 16, 2014 @ 11:36 p.m.

That was a "meltdown?" I'd hate to see what you'd label what I do when I'm watching sports. It's far more colorful.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 7:28 a.m.

chendri887: Yes, I call it a meltdown. And it's not original. Other sports publications were using that word before I did. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell March 16, 2014 @ 11:45 p.m.

The security guard was doing his or her job and should be commended. The guard saw a suitcase and properly attempted to identify the owner. Leitner should not be allowed to bring a suitcase into a stadium. Nobody should, for obvious safety reasons. Never be surprised when Ted Leitner acts like Ted Leitner.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 7:34 a.m.

Burwell: Somebody let him in the arena with a suitcase. That person deserves some of the blame, too, it seems to me. I agree with you that the security person who inquired about the suitcase did not deserve to be called a moron. Best, Don Bauder

Matt101 March 17, 2014 @ 12:56 p.m.

Agreed, the first, and biggest, oops was letting the suitcase into the arena in the first place. Fans who enter through the turnstiles can't even bring backpacks anymore, let alone something even more problematic like a suitcase.

And, Leitner should have known better than to try and take his suitcase in there with him. Was he trying to get to the airport quickly after the game?

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 3:28 p.m.

Matt101: I suppose those in the press -- particularly announcers -- enter the arena at specific locations and times. We still have unanswered questions: who let him in with a suitcase? Was there a reason? Did he sneak it in somehow? He should know the rules.

Particularly after the Boston Marathon incident, announcers should not be screaming about security personnel being morons. It's a different world now, and Leitner must know that. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill March 17, 2014 @ 10:07 a.m.

The security guard was an idiot with no common sense whatsoever and should be reprimanded. There is no obvious safety issue with bringing a suitcase into an arena - unless you buy into the ridiculous idea that we have to treat every single person as a terrorist rather than having security and law enforcement do their job to identify threats and minimize intrusive treatment of law-abiding citizens. It was probably against the rules and TL shouldn't have brought the suitcase in, BUT the security guard should have shown at least a tiny bit of common sense and waited for a time-out to address the issue.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 10:22 a.m.

ImJustABill: Maybe there are three wrongs here. Perhaps the security guard should have waited for a timeout to ask Leitner about the suitcase. And somebody should have checked Leitner when he presumably carried the suitcase into the arena.

However, Leitner's job is to inform his listeners about the game. He missed some of the critical action as he blew up. So he is wrong, too -- making the third error. Best, Don Bauder

ImJustABill March 17, 2014 @ 5:44 p.m.

Yes, TL definitely over-reacted and let a personal issue distract from his primary job - which was to announce a basketball game.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 9:39 p.m.

ImJustABill: It was an egregious overreaction. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark March 17, 2014 @ 9:46 a.m.

Ted Leitner has been in broadcasting for many years in San Diego, which obviously makes him a legend in his own mind. Leitner has always had a habit of blabbing about something while there was action going on, on the field or court. I did gain a bit of respect for the love he showed for Jerry Coleman at the ceremony at Petco Park after Mr Coleman's passing, but he pissed it all away again when he goes off on arena security guards in Las Vegas.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 10:27 a.m.

aardvark: I have't heard Leitner enough to know whether he has a habit of going off topic during an athletic event. Since he has kept his job for a long time, the habit doesn't seem to have affected his job longevity, or probably his paycheck. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark March 17, 2014 @ 11:51 a.m.

Leitner is not a good play by play guy; never has been IMO. I don't know why he has continued to be employed for so long here--I know he has improved the economy for numerous divorce attorneys through the years. I won't listen to him on the radio unless I have to. He always drives me nuts, as the crowd is cheering about something, and he is rambling on about something else. Ted--just tell us what is happening in the game.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 12:49 p.m.

aardvark: He endlessly touted Metabolife. I wonder how many health problems were a result of that? Best, Don Bauder

aardvark March 17, 2014 @ 12:58 p.m.

Don: Anything for a buck--I'm sure he still needs them.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 3:32 p.m.

aardvark: The only thing I know about his personal life is that he has been married several times and has complained on the air about the cost of his divorces. I personally have never heard him complaining thusly, but many people have told me about his endless carping on talk shows. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh March 18, 2014 @ 8:56 a.m.

Don, did you mean to ask how many of HIS health problems were due to his actually dosing himself with ephedra, or how many in other people were due to using the product? He said he used the stuff all the time that he was touting it--so did Hedgecock for that matter--and both are lucky to still be above ground, if we are to believe the harm it did to many others. That is if they actually used it, which is doubtful.

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:46 p.m.

Visduh: Of course, as you know, there is a question whether celebrities or announcers that claim they consume a product actually do. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd March 17, 2014 @ 10:20 a.m.

I've heard Leitner go off far worse than this. Security are mostly under-trained high-school grads charged with the authority to become obtrusive and abusive whenever they wish. Standard security protocol is to check the baggage of media at the media entrance and then identify the baggage as having been checked with a color-coated, temporary attachment. I sometimes bring luggage with me into the press box if I've come from a plane and have no time to store the suit case before covering the event. Many media members do, it's a common occurrence. If this didn't happen in Leitner's case, then that is the fault of security. Security was, indeed, wrong in this instance. However, it would have been wise of Leitner to have handled it a bit differently, like go to station identification, get off of the air for 15 seconds, and deal with the situation in that time span.

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 10:32 a.m.

David Dodd: Leitner could hardly have gone to station identification. It was a critical part of a game that went down to the wire. He should have ignored the security guard until the excitement died down. Or handled the matter silently.

I agree with you that security should have checked the suitcase before letting him in. And the security guard's interference during a broadcast was unwise. Again -- three errors. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 11:38 a.m.

Monitor: This item by annielewisgf is an ad. Please remove. Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 17, 2014 @ 11:49 a.m.

Teddy better watch it, he may get his picture removed from the wall at DZ Akin's

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 12:51 p.m.

Murphyjunk: That's one I don't know about. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 17, 2014 @ 3:37 p.m.

Ponzi: Corned beef and pastrami on rye sounds like a great combination, but I would prefer Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese to American cheese. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 18, 2014 @ 1:47 p.m.

viewer: I am sure D.Z. Akins would leave off the cheese if requested to do so. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi March 18, 2014 @ 10:11 p.m.

I respect Ted Leitner. He's passionate about sports and he is entitled to his opinion. Listeners have a love/hate relationship with him, the acquaintances I have that know Ted say he's the real deal. He's a good guy. The only thing I ever disagreed with him was his promotion of MetaboLife. I sent him emails and shared with him that I felt that company was bad business and urged him to quit promoting it.

Don Bauder March 19, 2014 @ 9:43 a.m.

Ponzi: But Leitner was making a bundle of money promoting Metabolife. That may be why he didn't listen to you.

When he first came to San Diego, the word was that he had been very unpopular in Philadelphia. But his shtick obviously went over well in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

jnojr March 19, 2014 @ 11:07 a.m.

That was hardly a "meltdown". Mild to moderate irritation, maybe.

And he sounded like Rodney Dangerfield. I kept waiting for him to say, "I don't get any respect!"

Don Bauder March 19, 2014 @ 11:34 a.m.

jnojr: Except Rodney used broken English, to wit: "I don't get no respect." Best, Don Bauder

MeReader March 26, 2014 @ 4:40 p.m.

haha. meltdown??? that was the best part of the broadcast! yeah, listen to uncle teddy give the smackdown to that incompetent idiot rent-a-cop security guard. lol