Content for Wednesday, March 27, 2013
- Vibrator giveaway doesn't appear to have swept San Diego
- FIGMENT: the art of inclusivity at Chicano Park
- Investigative author Caitlin Rother amplifies her remarks on DeMaio
- Tourism drops sharply for month through March 23
- TMD consultant and his firm has collected nearly $550,000 in TMD revenues since 2008
- Inappropriate exposure alleged at Encinitas tanning salon
- Swordfish at a gas station? El Venado, Chula Vista
- Four new local jazz releases
- Baja State prosecutor: 20% of female homicides are drug related
- Gays protest Trojan's downtown vibrator giveaway
- Interview: Robert Forster has risen!
- Padres worth $600 million; Yanks $2.3 billion
- Trailer Park: Pain & Gain: Michael Bay doesn't care about your stinkin' lyrics, man
- Jayton tha Mac
- Regional preparedness urged during National Tsunami Awareness Week
- Fox Sports lobbies up in ongoing civic war over Padres TV blackout
- City of San Diego hopped up on craft breweries; proposing zoning changes to allow for tasting rooms
- Robot skateboard used to demonstrate engineering to students
- Oceanside couple admit abusing their niece in plea deal
News & Stories
Stone’s first collaboration of 2013 yields bizarre breed of IPA.
SDSU’s emphasis seems to be on fundraising; teaching comes second in priority, say some. The money is in research, not teaching.
How will they see wildfires in East County?
The threat of the federal government to close the air traffic control tower at the Ramona Airport has caused the County Board of Supervisors to protest. The Federal Aviation Administration had placed the Ramona tower ...
Ed meets Sixth Avenue Bistro’s humble gumbo man.
Enjoy a pleasant walk along the southern section of the Tecolote Canyon Nature Park
If Ireland truly is the Island of Saints and Scholars, then Brothers McCullough, Dan and Nate — the Stout Public House’s own scholars of the dram and ounce — have canonized St. Germain liqueur into ...
Adventures of San Diego tuna boats in WWII’s Pacific theater.
Stacy Antonel of Ocean Beach won the $10,000 grand prize at the conclusion of the first season of 3 Minutes to Stardom, a local singing competition.
What are you reading? “I’ve been poring over military history books — those big coffee-table reference books you see in the bargain section of Barnes & Noble. I have a huge one on tanks, one ...
Thursday 28From the “Z Area” of the distant planet Peelander (aka New York City, New York), “Japanese action comic punks” Peelander-Z invade Soda Bar with their seventh studio set, Space Vacation, a record that trades ...
Heymatt: Once or twice a year, I will wake to a charlie-horse. In my leg. I always instinctively pound the offending muscle group with my fist. I’d like to know if this is a universal ...
The release party for Hills Like Elephants’ new album, Feral Flocks, on the local Requiemme Records label and distributed by BMG/Chrysalis, happens March 29 at Bar Pink. Featuring a dance-centric sound that frontman Sean Davenport ...
My sister and I clinked glasses filled with chilled wine (hers a straw-colored chardonnay, mine a blushing rosé) and then leaned back in our chairs with stoned smiles. My eyes wandered the expanse of Jane’s ...
Matt: Going east along the I-8 before the College turn-off to SDSU, if you look left you will see a giant highchair on the hill below Del Cerro. Or a ladder. Or something. It’s out ...
How do you say Neil Simon in French? A professional sperm donor, going by the name Starbuck (Patrick Huard), anonymously fathers what amounts to his own chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada. Eventually, ...
Sportswriter fires team
Watching the humiliation. There’s 4:49 left with the score, Florida Gulf Coast 70, San Diego 52. You can see the wheels falling off the Aztecs’ bandwagon from here. SDSU came into the tournament regarded as ...
Heymatt: Back in the ’60’s, ’70s, there was a big statue of a go-go girl on a sign in Mission Valley/Grantville that was visible from the 8. I seem to remember that she was all ...
Fresh from a big controversy over who gets to run kayaks at La Jolla Shores, the City of San Diego is now preparing to award an exclusive deal for parasailing operations on Mission Bay. But ...
Del Mar City Council delays permitting of food trucks within city limits.
“You gotta have a passion for it. That’s got to be number one. Number two? You got to be willing to pay your dues by practicing day and night.” We meet up for lunch, Bill ...
Anyone who doubts the politically incestuous nature of San Diego’s old money — still playing a big role at city hall these days — has only to review the family connections of the Evans clan, ...
Dessert binge leads to diet including steak and lobster.
Nordy Customers Everywhere As a Nordstrom employee of many years, I’m a little embarrassed of how [the March 21 cover story] portrays employees to our customers (“100% Commission at Nordstrom”). I feel this is a ...
He is truly happy, whatever may be his temporal condition, who can call God his Father in the full assurance of faith and hope. And amid all his trials, conflicts, and doubts, the feeblest Christian ...
Evil Joe Arbusto, Rancho Penasquitos, 8. Richard Barker, San Diego, 8. Bliss Beedle, Encinitas, 8. Joseph Ciprian, Little Italy, 8. Patrick Driscoll, Santee, 8. Martin Guillen, Oceanside, 8. Butch Hays, La Mesa, 8. Vincent Lee, ...