Another store in the Otay Ranch Center mall will be closing its doors soon. Coldwater Creek, an upscale women’s clothing store, and Coldwater Creek Spa, a full-service salon, will be going out of business on December 30.

According to an August 29 Coldwater Creek press release in Reuters, the company’s retail, outlet, and day spa sales are down. The closure in the Otay Ranch Town Center location, close to the SR-125 toll road, is part of the chain’s “store optimization program.” According to the press release, “The company’s plan calls for the closure of up to 45 stores from fiscal year 2012–2013.

The mall, which opened in 2006, was supposed to draw additional anchor stores such as Nordstrom and/or Neiman Marcus. Instead, as a result of the economic recession, a number of stores and eateries have closed.

However, mall foot traffic in the past year has been somewhat bolstered by the opening of a Chula Vista Police Department storefront and a Chula Vista library branch.

Comments

Visduh Nov. 23, 2012 @ 8:28 p.m.

It sounds as if that center was over-touted and was almost destined to disappoint. Could it be that the Otay Ranch isn't shaping up to be as affluent as the developers had hoped? Could it be true that OR just will not live up to the potential that the observers expected? Personally, I have a hard time imagining that area attracting wealth unless it is in the hands of Latino/a types who are refugees from TJ. There are just too many other parts of the county that offer ambiance, space, and a freedom from the usual nonsense that happens down south of the border.

Javajoe25 Nov. 23, 2012 @ 11 p.m.

I could not agree more, V. That whole Otay Ranch scene, in my opinion, is nothing but a big pile of wishful thinking. I do not see how that area will bring the big bucks. Especially since there are so many northern properties going for fire sale prices now. Only time will tell.

Susan Luzzaro Nov. 23, 2012 @ 11:36 p.m.

A 2007 UT article attributes the problems to the economic downturn and the failure of the southbay expressway to open on time--there is on/off ramp right next to the mall. But now that SR125 has been open for a few years and the tolls reduced you still don't see the traffic. I wonder how the mall would have fared if it had not been a toll road--perhaps it wouldn't have been built.

Cherie Nov. 24, 2012 @ 7:17 p.m.

I used the toll coming up 125N once in very late at night and I paid it,noticed everything was well lit and clean and proceeded on a completely empty highway. A couple years later, I went with my friend to go 125S and couldn't find the toll station, so we got off to pay the first chance we could but found it's reversed! We got back on and paid at the mall exit. Later came an expensive ticket in the mail, with no number to call and explain or place for explanations. That was paid too.

I will go down there again when the toll is gone. It's just another shopping center.

Sjtorres Nov. 24, 2012 @ 7:26 p.m.

When the economy recovers so will retail and real estate.

Susan Luzzaro Nov. 24, 2012 @ 8:21 p.m.

Cherie, I'm curious when you took the toll road. If you don't mind saying, I'm wondering if the toll road experience has changed since SANDAG took over the road in June? I know many had complications when it was South Bay Expressway.

Steve Horvath Nov. 25, 2012 @ 12:55 a.m.

Is the toll booth hard to find? My friend who works at Coldwater Creek in Indianapolis went to the store in October when she was here. She used my car and missed the toll booth.

Wabbit Nov. 26, 2012 @ 7:30 a.m.

I will say this about Coldwater Creek's issue. I am a customer of theirs, and when I get their ads, they keep telling me "My Store" is the Otay Ranch one. I NEVER shop there, have never shopped at that mall, and it has always been a puzzlement to me how the selected that store "for me."

I live in La Mesa, and I just don't have reason to go south for my shopping.

If this is their marketing concept, then maybe it's not just the mall's fault, but the retailer itself doesn't have a good marketing plan down.

Visduh Nov. 27, 2012 @ 9:29 a.m.

With their other two county locations being in North County, if the operation wanted to reach out to La Mesa and El Cajon and other nearby communities, it would make sense to tell them of the closest location. And that is/was the Otay Ranch store. If the advertising staff of Coldwater is elsewhere, they might not know that La Mesans don't head south to shop. They might assume that you could and would just "jump on the 125" and buzz down to their new location.

rjohnson July 2, 2013 @ 12:47 p.m.

Although the African American population in the East Chula Vista/ South Bay area continues to grow sustantially there are virtually no African American employed at the Mall or in the entire area for the most part with the exception of Vons. The mall needs to employ some of the young African Americans that have grown up in the area and attended its schools, afterall we are spending money there, but we don't have to.