“I’m sorry,” he said. “I can’t do balls in bowls. They’re pointless.” Then, as if he was concerned he’d come on too strong, David added, “It’s just a pet peeve of mine.”

Later, after Mike left and David and I were ranting about how difficult it had been to keep our hands from our ears while he was giving suggestions, I asked David what his deal was with balls in bowls, which I had considered less offensive than the empty, wire-mesh floor vases Mike suggested (and we nixed).

“Balls in bowls is just a page out of the lazy interior decorator’s playbook,” David said. “For some reason they feel that a basket of brown papier-mâché balls is the universal solution to successfully decorating any room. I blame HGTV.” He sighed heavily and gave an exaggerated, angry roll of his eyes. It felt good to know I wasn’t alone.

Comments

nan shartel April 20, 2011 @ 7:06 p.m.

and those lacy balls in bowls Babs...WTF??!!

they're even worse!!!

love this one kiddo....;-D

Javajoe25 April 21, 2011 @ 12:53 p.m.

What? You guys don't get the "balls in the bowl" thing? I'm surprised at both of you. It's supposed to be subliminal, but it's so obvious, it's ridiculous. You see, the bowl is the receptacle--who's the receptacle? And the balls, well...who has the balls? Right. So, you put the balls in the bowl and la-dee-da! A happy home! Personally, I'm much more intrigued by the "You put the lime in the coconut..." Now that, is something to ponder.

Hey, I hope putting the house on the market doesn't mean you guys are leaving us. I would miss these weekly peeks at "life in Sandy Eggo" that you provide. Whatever the story, I hope you are catching this market in the upswing.

Barbarella Fokos April 22, 2011 @ 4 p.m.

Ha! Nan, I know what you mean. And Java, no, we're not going anywhere -- San Diego is where my heart is. We'll probably move a few miles away from where we live now. We just want to spend more money on traveling, and less on mortgaging. :)

Lindsey468 April 23, 2011 @ 3:36 p.m.

Barbarella, I remember your column some time ago about your big weight loss. For some people, maintaining such a loss is harder than the initial loss. Would you write an updated column on that topic?

Barbarella Fokos April 23, 2011 @ 3:52 p.m.

Hi, Lindsey! Yes, that was in 2007, and it wasn't a column, it was an extensive cover feature, so an "update" by way of column isn't something I had in mind. I will tell you that after losing 100 pounds, I have been yo-yoing up and down the same 20-30 lbs. over the last 4 years, but have kept more than 60% of the lost weight off the entire time. Maintaining weight-loss is WORK, especially for someone whose life involves endless cocktail and dinner parties (wink), but I currently jog 3 to 4 days a week and lift weights daily, try to eat well (as a foodie, "well" means sourced-locally and varied more than low-cal), and live life reasonably. When I want to go gung-ho again and seriously lose the excess, I have to do what Charlie the trainer had me do for the two years I was on that rigorous plan that led to the big lose, and that's a little more work than I'm prepared to do right now. So I continue to focus on my HEALTH, as I mentioned in that story, rather than my WEIGHT. I hope that satisfies your curiosity. :)

antigeekess April 23, 2011 @ 5:53 p.m.

Cat lady version:

That stager sounds like a bit of a doofus. I'm really surprised he uses his own stuff. Is this the norm? I also thought they used items borrowed from furniture/design stores. If that's not already going on, it seems like a good idea for them. Possible angle for some salesy individual to work.

Regarding weight, last week I got some bloodwork done that revealed what I've suspected for decades -- my thyroid is a lazy bum. I always knew there was no way what I ate could reasonably account for my weight. Supposedly, hypothyroidism is very underdiagnosed in women. I've ordered what appears to be a good thyroid supplement to boost my metabolism. You might want to have yours checked as well.

Joe Poutous April 25, 2011 @ 7:48 a.m.

I don't think I would have been able to handle the stager's suggestions with the grace that you displayed.

• Joe

nan shartel April 25, 2011 @ 8:45 p.m.

i think more thyroid problems exist then Docs and professionals r willing to say

60% off for 4 years??

..u dun good gurl!!! ;-D

Grandpuba April 26, 2011 @ 11:56 a.m.

Personally I can't stand marbles/gems in a vase. Also if someone is going to come into my condo to make it chic it better be Franck Eggelhoffer not walmart bob.

Joe Poutous April 27, 2011 @ 6:23 a.m.

No. Balls in a Bowl is a definite no.

I remember growing up, My great grandmother had these purple glass grapes in a leaf shaped bowl on her coffee table. Each grape was perfectly round, about 2.5" in diameter. There were about 25 of them, attached to a stem with curly-ques and leafs at the top.

I wish I had a set of those grapes!

• Joe

heather_m May 19, 2011 @ 11:06 a.m.

You know what's more boring and depressing than watching migrant workers pick strawberries? Reading an entire column by a narcissistic brat about staging and selling her downtown San Diego column. Yawn. Come on down from the clouds, Babs. Those are real people living real lives that you're insulting. Please think about it.