Barbarella
  • Barbarella

An easygoing husband is the one indispensable comfort of life. — Marie Louise De La Ramee

‘You know what sounds really good right now?” David looked up from the magazine in his hands. “Frozen ravioli with Hunt’s tomato sauce,” I said. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t for my beh beh’s face to sink the way it does when I say things such as, “It’s time to go to the gym.” He looked...deflated. “What? What’s wrong?”

“I thought we’d made progress,” said David. “I could make you something that tastes a lot better than Hunt’s tomato sauce.”

“Of course you could. I just had a craving, that’s all. What’s up? You seem upset that I’m craving something.”

“It’s not that you’re craving something,” David said, his eyes investigating my face. “It’s that you’re craving comfort food, and if you’re craving comfort food, it means you’re distressed.”

“I don’t feel distressed,” I said, realizing it was a lie once the words were out of my mouth. Since returning from Montreal, I’d been feeling the pressure of unaccomplished tasks, the creeping sensation of anxiety. That, compounded by some extraordinary PMS symptoms, made me a wreck. “I was just saying, it sounded good. Anyway, forget about it. Any good cartoons this week?” David held an interrogative gaze on me. Seemingly satisfied by my nonchalance, he opened the New Yorker and showed me a few select cartoons. Once we were in the throes of trying to interpret the meaning of one of the more ambiguous drawings, we’d both forgotten my hankering for Hunt’s.

Two days later, David intercepted me as I was moping around the kitchen. With a firm but gentle hand on my elbow, he guided me to a chair by the window and brought me a glass of red wine. I was well into my second glass and under my love’s watchful eye when the phone rang. I was staring out the window when David put the phone to his hip and said, “It’s Josue. He’s marinated some steaks and wants to share them with us.”

“Tell him to come on up,” I said listlessly. “But I don’t want any. You guys go ahead and enjoy it, though, I’m sure I can find something else to eat.” David had the phone back on his ear and was asking Josue to come on up when I stage-whispered, “Steak sounds gross.”

A few minutes later our friend was at the door, proffering an unnecessary but courteous knock before entering. I gulped the last of the wine in my glass as Josue set a plastic container on the counter. “You’re not going to have any steak?” he asked.

“It’s okay, we have plenty of food here,” David answered for me.

“We don’t have frozen ravioli and Hunt’s tomato sauce,” I grumbled under my breath, apparently loud enough for both men to hear. David looked up from the shelves of the refrigerator; I felt bad as I realized he’d been searching for something to make for me. He closed the door and sighed. I held up my empty glass, and David indulged me before pouring a glass for Josue.

“Barb, we can wait to cook the steak if you want to go to the store right now,” Josue suggested.

Swaying a bit, I looked to David beseechingly; again, he obliged. “Barb can’t drive.”

I held up my glass and smiled crookedly to prove the point and said, “It’s okay, guys, there’s plenty of stuff in the house.” There was little conviction in my words, and I’m sure David sensed that I was secretly hoping for him to do exactly what he was about to do.

“You two stay here,” David said. “I’ll be right back.” Just before David slipped through the front door, I made an additional plea for dark chocolate. Hearing me, he sighed again and disappeared. Josue shrugged his shoulders and sat in the chair across from me. We chatted and sipped our wine for 15 minutes, at which point David returned with a handful of grocery bags.

Josue and I stood and hovered around the granite island, doing what we could to help. David set a large pot of water on the stove to boil and then searched the cupboards for a good steak skillet. Josue took the lid off the plastic container, revealing the steaks as he detailed the composition of his marinade for David. I went straight to the bags and retrieved a small can of Hunt’s tomato sauce, a packet of ravioli (not frozen, but that was cool), and a bundle of Trader Joe’s dark chocolate. My spirits lifted upon seeing the comforting trinity.

I grabbed the plate David had set aside for me and exchanged it for a green bowl, an action I assumed was innocuous until David snapped, “What, you can’t even use my plate?”

“What are you talking about? I just prefer to eat it out of a bowl,” I said.

Enlisting Josue as mediator, David said, “She had that bowl before she met me. I guess she doesn’t want to use one of mine.”

“Whoa,” I said, not to David, but to Josue. “This is just a good, sturdy bowl. It’s not that I don’t want to use his plate, I don’t want to use a plate.” Josue looked uncomfortable, so I tried to lighten the mood by saying, “David, I told you not to argue in front of the child.” Josue laughed at this, but the scowl on David’s face remained.

David turned back to the sizzling steak and ravioli floating in water, the latter of which he poured into a strainer for me. “Whoa, what’s that? There’s all kinds of shit in here,” I said, gesturing at chunks of orange and green clinging to the side of the colander.

“Those are tomatoes and basil,” David said. “I thought you’d like the kind with stuff in it.”

“Oh, well, yes, thank you, beh beh,” I said. I scooped the ravioli into the green bowl with a spoon and lifted the can of Hunt’s. “What the...this isn’t the plain tomato sauce; it’s flavored.”

Comments

pete78 Sept. 25, 2008 @ 8:52 a.m.

Bluebirds and fing rainbows... Hahaha. I think bluebirds may actually be vectors for the avian influenza though so be careful. And they don't taste as good as chicken. One would think that they taste like a blueberry or perhaps even blue raspberry-flavored chicken but this is just not true :( But they do taste pretty fing good with a little bit of Hunt's Tomato Sauce (not the flavored s***) drizzled on top. Pretty pretty pretty good.

Barbarella Fokos Sept. 26, 2008 @ 10:11 p.m.

Ms Grant, I knew I wasn't alone in my saucy compulsions. Sounds like our men share a similar "problem." ;) You enjoy that chunk-free sauce. I've got one more can of Hunt's squirreled away in the back of the pantry. Oh yeah, my day will come again.

Barbarella Fokos Sept. 25, 2008 @ 11:01 a.m.

Pete, it appears as though you like the F-word almost as much as I do. Thanks for the colorful, foodie descriptions! Now I'm craving berries. ;)

MsGrant Sept. 26, 2008 @ 12:36 p.m.

My comfort food is boxed macaroni and cheese - I used to have to have Kraft, but I now have graduated to Amy's Organic. On top of that (in a bowl, of course - a plate just will not do) I pour unheated tomato sauce from a jar. It can't be the chunky kind, just marinara (I COMPLETELY understand the sauce thing - I won't eat it if it has chunks). I eat this with a fork, stabbing at the marcaronis until I get a forkful. The ritual is almost as important as the food. My wonderful husband looks on, disgusted, as I eat this concoction, shaking his head. He always gets a little concerned when the box comes down, wants to know if everything is okay. "No threat honey, just a need you can't fill." Then he laughs and says "I can't believe you guys ate this growing up!" My sisters eat it this way, too.

bohemianopus Sept. 26, 2008 @ 3:50 p.m.

Your article made me cry with nostalgia!

Growing up in South Philly, my family and I would go to Moncuso's on Ninth Street for lunch meat, olives, and the best Italian bread in the world.

My father and Mr. Moncuso would have a knock-down, drag-out argument every week over Mr. Moncuso's habit of stacking the tomato cans in front of the scale so we couldn't see the true weight of the food we were buying.

My mother felt it was her duty to stuff handfuls of loose chi chi beans in her purse to "make up" for any price discrepancies while the two men argued.

On the way home, my brother and I would "pick" the insides of the loaf of bread out, so that by the time we got home, all that was left was the crust. We would dip into the bitter Greek and Spanish olives and split the sharp provolone and mellow scamorse cheeses.

My parents would buy "extra" and keep it in the front seat so they would have enough for the "sangwitches" when we got home.

Every time I smell olives and cheese, I get all warm and fuzzy.

Barbarella Fokos Sept. 26, 2008 @ 10:14 p.m.

Bohemianopus, what a tag name! I'm so happy I could help you relive such warm, fuzzy memories. My sisters and I also loved to eat the middle out of the baguettes, which would annoy our parents when they later when to take a "slice." Olives and cheese make me oh, so happy. Good times, good times. :)

ParisL Sept. 26, 2008 @ 9:58 p.m.

Barbarella, On Oct 5 from 12 noon- 3:00 PM, VISION a Center for Spiritual Living is hosting an Animal Rights Festival in Tierrasanta. I would like to invite you and David to come...we will have several animal adoption agencies as well as animal rights groups participating. For directions/info visit www.visioncsl.com. I know that you would enjoy the experience..consider it "window shopping". You don't have to adopt.

Barbarella Fokos Sept. 26, 2008 @ 10:19 p.m.

ParisL, thank you for the invitation, but David and I will be on a plane to Spain on October 5. We thought we'd wait until the economy crashed to travel abroad. ;) I'll be writing all about it.

jim87vette Sept. 27, 2008 @ 2:17 p.m.

That made me very hungry.Its about time for me to get out my crock-pot and make a batch of sauce.I am going to try the honey trick -thanks.

Barbarella Fokos Sept. 27, 2008 @ 5:04 p.m.

Wow, you cook the sauce in a crock pot? Talk about something I would NEVER have the patience for. Anything over 3 minutes is questionable. Enjoy that sauce, I hope the honey works for you. ;)

Josh Board Sept. 29, 2008 @ 2:04 p.m.

Have fun in Spain.

Can someone, please, tell me why everyone loves mac & cheese so much? My girlfriend loves it. One of our close friends loved it.

Now...I can appreciate great cheese. I drooled all over the Reader when Barb wrote about that cheese party, sure. But, even fancy restaurants that have mac and cheese...my girlfriend gets it. I taste it, and am always disappointed.

Why does everyone like it so much?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

pete78 Sept. 30, 2008 @ 10:12 a.m.

I can't stand the crap Mr Board. Makes me nautious to even smell it - and most cheese for that matter as well. Cheese is basically just rotten sour milk.

Josh Board Oct. 1, 2008 @ 12:18 a.m.

Twas a woman.

Joe Poutous Oct. 1, 2008 @ 7:15 a.m.

Wow, I think that I need to listen to my wife more.

• Joe

M. E. Sept. 30, 2008 @ 3:02 p.m.

Josh, is that friend male or female? I used know a chick who couldn't get enough mac & cheese. Maybe it's a girl thing.

Fred Williams Oct. 1, 2008 @ 8:09 a.m.

Mac and Cheese from scratch

(serves two)

Ingredients: Half a small package of Macaroni 6 ounces Cheddar Cheese 1 teaspoon Corn Starch 1/4 cup Milk

Steps: Boil the macaroni and put it in the strainer. Mix 1/4 cup milk with a teaspoon of corn starch, stirring well. Put the mix along with your shredded cheese into the pot on very low heat.
Stir vigorously until it blends together and thickens. Turn off the heat. Put the macaroni into the pot and mix it all together. * Add salt and pepper to taste.

It's not only better tasting and far cheaper than the stuff from the box, it's probably healthier too.

Best,

Fred

inactive Oct. 1, 2008 @ 9:28 a.m.

"It's funny, because as much as I've never found cheese on mac and cheese I liked...I've never found nachos I didn't dislike."

Well the try putting the nacho cheese on your macaroni.

Barbarella Fokos Oct. 1, 2008 @ 10:32 a.m.

Nacho cheese on macaroni is brilliant. My man made an exceptional "mac n cheese" using jalapenos and hot sauce. Maybe all you boys need is for that stuff to be kicked up a few notches. You know, the mac n cheese that bites you back. ;)