By the Beautiful Sea
By Ken Harrison, June 3
A couple years ago, the 1912 Craftsman-style home at 125 Mozart Street — one of Cardiff’s oldest — was spared from demolition after zoning issues caused an office-building development to fall through.
What makes the home even more valuable is who built it.
In 1911, New York–based music publisher Victor Kremer fell in love with the coastal community. Kremer’s vision still remains today on 12 streets he plotted and named after composers such as Chopin (Way), Haydn (Drive), Schubert (Path), and Vivaldi (Street).
In the early ’30s Kremer sold his publishing company and invested in Cardiff real estate. He began growing passion fruit on the Mozart Street property and eventually sold jams, jellies, and a soda named Passionola. In 1937, he was in New York securing orders from big department stores when he received a telegram: his Cardiff crop had been wiped out in an unexpected frost.

The Boys Next Door
By ali_cat, June 30
I’ve tried on several occasions to communicate with the boys next door, but to no avail. My first technique was to slam my bedroom window with extreme force, hoping that they would catch my drift. It was a failed attempt, and so a few nights later, after allowing this boyish behavior to continue, I stepped out into the dark — clad in my pajamas, with the intention to let it be known that I meant business. It was time to shut up! I found a gap in the fence and hollered through the space where the light was penetrating through. In my deepest voice, I yelled, “Hey guys, could you keep it down over there? Your neighbors are trying to sleep!”

CARLSBAD

Towers Land in North County
By Ken Harrison, February 21
Beachgoers are noticing the changes on the sand at Seaside, Cardiff Reef, Ponto, South Carlsbad, and Tamarack beaches. A California icon, the classic lifeguard tower, has had an extreme makeover.
The old, less-angular fiberglass towers are classic California architecture made famous by Baywatch and other TV shows. Not everyone likes the new, unevenly shaped towers. (Are those shining aqua-blue things lifeguard towers or attack drones from an upcoming Star Wars film?)

CARMEL MOUNTAIN

A Memorial
By corib, January 23
A white bicycle, American flags, a teddy bear, fresh flowers, and a pennant with the name Walt…they are significant reminders of the man who was recently killed on Sabre Springs Parkway while riding his bike home after work. Sabre Springs Parkway serves as a raceway for some drivers and the sweeping curves on the road are often misjudged.
Walt’s family has constructed a web site in tribute to his life. According to a local newspaper, the man’s full name was Walter Joller, Naval Academy graduate, retired military. The website can be found on the Internet by searching his name.

Fight!!!
By corib, January 6
Carmel Mountain was a minor mess tonight. At the Arco station at the corner of Poway Rd. and Sabre Springs Parkway, most people are aware that cars line up in one direction to use the pumps. The system doesn’t always work well.
I’m not sure whether the woman who cut in front of the cars tonight was an outsider or not, but an irate guy in a Jeep was convinced she was a conscientious interloper. He swerved around to block her car and was perfectly ready to ram her shiny black ride. He spewed out a string of “F” words while yelling at her that she had to move her car because of all the cars that had been waiting for 20 minutes. Another guy walked around to make note of her license plate. The woman refused to move.As I left the parking area, I was cut off by another car that ran the red light at the top of the hill. Eventually, I made my way back up Sabre Springs Parkway. I heard the drone of a boom box in concert with a muffler.

CHULA VISTA

For the Children
By Peter C. Salisbury, March 12
On March 5, the South Bay Union School District voted to eliminate 80 teaching positions, but it was not the slam-dunk many expected. District Superintendent Carol Parish addressed those attending, saying, “We had to start reducing the budget seven years ago, so now each cut feels devastating.”
The reduction of the 12 librarians’ hours (from eight a day to five) sparked heated discussion. One speaker told the school trustees, “It is the librarian that has one-on-one contact with each student. They know each child’s name — first and last name.”
The resolution was subsequently passed with trustees Elvia Aguilar, Jones, and Inzunza voting approval and Brown and Lopez dissenting.

Nursing a Baby, Not a Hangover
By starr_09, June 15
I heard a really tasteless joke from a guy I met at a bar, he had asked me where my friend so-and-so was, I simply replied that she had just gotten pregnant and was taking it easy. He laughed and replied, “Man, you Mexican girls sure are fertile!” I went to a school in Chula Vista, graduated in 2004, and to be honest, I know of girls that are pregnant and have kids from my graduation class — 2 or 3. When I first turned 21, that was like the ultimate punishment. Oh, my gosh! Life is over, you’re done, no more partying, no more one-night stands, how awful. I have talked to some of my friends who have had babies, and to be honest, they are some of the happiest girls that I know.

Take Me to the River
By Mark Jay, June 13
At approximately 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 9, Chula Vista police observed what they thought was a narcotics sale, according to police radio traffic. CVPD officers got behind a suspect car at East Palomar and Nacion Avenue and then attempted to do a traffic stop. The driver refused to pull over and officers gave chase. The suspects led police onto the northbound I–805 via the L Street onramp. The officers observed the suspects throwing what looked like narcotics out of the window while the car entered the freeway.
The driver, who didn’t drive faster than 50 miles per hour while police were in pursuit, finally yielded to officers just north of the Bonita Road exit on the northbound I–805. He was taken into custody and officers found two handguns in the car. But before that happened, and before police could approach the car, the passenger tried to get away on foot, via the Sweetwater River, about 500 yards south of the Plaza Bonita Mall.

Part 2: An Execution in the Hills

Comments

David Dodd Oct. 21, 2009 @ 1:26 p.m.

What an odd concept for a cover story.

SDaniels Oct. 21, 2009 @ 1:52 p.m.

They really dug into the archives for these Neighborhood blog snippets, and ONCE AGAIN passed me by! What's wrong with my--at least realistic--descriptions of Banker's Hill, people?! Burwell's tweaker/meth comment? Sorry, but untrue characterization, and he wrote that just to shut down someone being chirpy and smiley about moving here. I have lived on Banker's Hill for about seven years, and do not see a lot of drug traffic. I do see a fair number of homeless drunk men, and a LOT of dog walkers. Are they all drug dealers, Burwell? ;)

SDaniels Oct. 22, 2009 @ 3:15 p.m.

True, Captain, but I'm going to try and see this non-cynically--viz: This is not at all a lazy bottom-scraping piece, but a wonderful way to encourage the blogging community contributors to revisit each other's past stories, and mix up the conversation--in lieu of delving fresh talent and perspective available from contributors old and new (oops, that sounded cynical again...) ;)

David Dodd Oct. 22, 2009 @ 3:23 p.m.

I think it was a reasonably good idea, but I question the execution of it. I've read through it a few times now. It's a combination of stringer stories and blogs and comments, but I can't find a common thread, at least not one thick enough to support the title. I think that at some point, the Reader should try it again, but a lot more hours would have to be put in to finding material - seemingly eclectic - that actually comes together as a common theme. A long term project where maybe you work on it for a certain number of hours each week over a long period of time?

SDaniels Oct. 22, 2009 @ 3:48 p.m.

That is a good point. Having read it over a couple times, too, I'd say that the tenuous "common thread" was the (still) unevenly applied concept of some 'essence' of each neighborhood or area--they were looking for something that might either sum up descriptive characteristics of an area that are easily identified by a large number of people, or characteristics that we might not normally think of for that area. For example, Banker's Hill would not normally be thought of as the tweaker capital, but many do see it as a place of passage, being under the flight path...

David Dodd Oct. 22, 2009 @ 3:57 p.m.

One problem in writing biblically, in a form that takes several narratives, is that the author often makes the narratives seem too similar (think Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying", or more contemporary, Kingsolver's "The Poisionwood Bible"). But this article is sort of a reverse-engineered method of it, so the challenge becomes making the narratives seem more common than they would otherwise. Both approaches seem difficult to accomplish. Without knowing the method used putting the story together, I couldn't offer any practical suggestions other than it needs a little bit more cohesiveness.

SDaniels Oct. 22, 2009 @ 4:35 p.m.

"...that the author often makes the narratives seem too similar..."

"the challenge becomes making the narratives seem more common than they would otherwise."

Yes, and yes.

This first observation pinpoints the exact problem I have had with texts of multiple narrative voices, and it really takes a great writer to overcome it-- can't immediately think of one who does it well--maybe Salman Rushdie?...Maybe. I'm rusty on this issue. People love David Foster Wallace for it, but I think it pretty much fails in Infinite Jest. Pike mentioned Bakhtin in a blog recently, and I love the way he teases dialogue and the multiplicity of differing voices, and the "carnivalesque" from a variety of texts.

The second observation, of the Reader cover: Masters's "Spoon River Anthology" comes to mind as an example--easy way out, narrating/eulogizing through the language of headstones--though I still like it!

Haven't read Kingsolver, but can relate to this in Faulkner, though I still appreciate him.

Visduh Oct. 23, 2009 @ 9:34 a.m.

Wow. These pieces of commentary can surely range far and wide. The comments started out wondering just why the cover story was a bunch of old stories, blogs and comments. By posting number nine, there is mention of Salman Rushdie (How many of you ever read HIM, or even remember the source of his notariety?), David Foster Wallace, Kingslolver and Faulkner. Talk about discursive!

antigeekess Oct. 23, 2009 @ 10:01 p.m.

I kinda diggit. I read the ones that looked interesting up through part of Hillcrest. I thought it was kinda sad that the stuff I liked didn't get any comments.

Really unfair, considering some of the crap on this site that has generated hundreds of them. These folks deserved some of that attention for their talent and efforts. I'm trying to make mental notes on who they are, to keep them in mind if/when anything new from them goes up.

Oh yes, and SD, I agree including a comment from the troll Burwell IS pretty unforgivable.

SDaniels Oct. 26, 2009 @ 2:33 a.m.

Visduh marveled: "Talk about discursive!"

Yah, let's totally like, discourse, dude! And everybody remembers at least "Salmon" Rushdie, from that episode of Seinfeld ;)

Visduh Oct. 26, 2009 @ 7:19 p.m.

SD, like you never made a minor spelling error in your life. I know nothing about Seinfeld. I remember Rushdie in a totally different context. Do you? If so, what is it?

SDaniels Oct. 26, 2009 @ 8:59 p.m.

"SD, like you never made a minor spelling error in your life. "

Vis--huh? Not sure what you're referencing--we must have some kind of static noise in the channel. I am occasionally stereotyped as someone who picks on others' grammar, maybe because of the way I write, but actually do not do this, unless it is an ongoing joke among friends (such as about the semicolon).

Reasons: It is boring and trite to point out errors, don't do it unless paid, make errors myself, and finally, prefer to pay attention rather to the substance of your post--as I hope you would mine. Hope that subject is done, and misunderstanding past--rather you call me a US Hater than a grammar picker upon-er ;)

As for Rushdie, I mentioned him above and above; the "Salmon" comes from the Seinfeld episode where Kramer thinks Rushdie's first name is the same as the fish. Hence, an episode packed with fishy puns--and an actual appearance from Rushdie while still under the fatwah. The original reference to Rushdie, in convo with refried further above was to his novel's use of multiple voices and characters. We were discussing texts that try to employ different voices, but fail to distinguish them sufficiently to justify them. Midnight's Children is one such Rushdie novel I was thinking of. Read it? Wicked good.