Steve Vaus has twice been nominated for Grammys for children’s records released in 2007 and 2008. He wrote the Jerome’s and Barona Casino TV jingles, and he’s done studio work for Willie Nelson, Kim Carnes, and Randy Travis.

Critics suggest Vaus has found a new way to push his two new albums and an upcoming concert he’s promoting: he is spearheading a recall of Poway councilwoman Betty Rexford.

“My husband and I have been involved in Poway since 1984, and we never heard of this guy,” says Virginia Hargarten, who supports Rexford. “He’s never belonged to any club or been involved in city affairs. It seems like he’s doing this just to get his name in the paper. It’s interesting that he’s all of a sudden interested in local politics.”

Vaus, as spokesman and organizer of the Rexford recall, has been featured in several articles in the Union-Tribune and North County Times, and he may be successful: all four of Rexford’s fellow councilmembers asked her to step down over accusations that she tried to get city employees to help her with personal matters.

“People are angry,” says Vaus. “I was just the person who stepped in front of the parade. Betty has a reputation for bullying and badgering. Why should somebody be prohibited from participating in the democratic process just because they have a business in town?” Vaus says he will easily get the 5700 signatures needed to oust Rexford.

Vaus performs and records as Buck Howdy, a singing cowboy who sings children’s tunes.

“The recall is completely separate and apart from [Buck Howdy]. I have ceased all promotional activities in order to work on this.”

Or has he?

The website stevevaus.com has a link to recallrexford.com. And Poway resident Chris Cruse says residents who supported the website were asked to buy tickets for the Carols by Candlelight concert that Vaus is promoting. The annual fund-raising concert is December 11 and 12 at the California Center for the Arts, Escondido, and features LeAnn Rimes, the Little River Band, and Buck Howdy. Vaus says the event is a fund-raiser for Rady Children’s Hospital.

“Steve is using the recall to go phishing for email addresses for his fund-raiser,” says Cruse. Tickets for this year’s show range from $30 to $100.

Comments

Wudstuck Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:53 p.m.

I'm not quite sure which end you're speaking out of -- your mouth or your butt. Unfortunately for you, neither makes much sense. So I will simply dismiss your ignorance as plain stupidity and forgive you for the sad state you're in. Bye, Pete, move to Esco where you can spew your vomit somewhere else.

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 2:09 p.m.

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever told you you're f***ed in the head,Wudstuck? Just because I'm moving to Esco doesn't mean I'll stop coming to this forum.

PistolPete Nov. 11, 2009 @ 1:18 p.m.

I'm hardly shooting the messenger, askale. I really don't give a s*** what happens in Poway. I'm just wondering why one man is willing to waste time and money for the inevitable that takes place in less than a year. Steve Vaus will come hell or high water to get Rexford off the city council but I don't seem to remember Steve's name associated with an Impeach Bush or Impeach Obama campaign...and yet he gains a following in Poway for his political beliefs.

kenl Nov. 11, 2009 @ 4:52 p.m.

Steve -

I stand corrected. I got the wrong Steve Vaus musical website. It was stevevaus.com not buckhowdy.com.

Also, page 1 of the Reader has a picture of Vaus/Howdy and the caption says "Singing cowboy to Poway's mayor: Vamoose!" Rexford is not the mayor. She's a councilwoman.

Blogger "askale" above writes: "In fact, the only 'evidence' in this story is that there was a promotion of Carols by Candlelight. But that is a fund-raiser for Rady Children's Hospital -- a very worthy cause. Not surprising the story fails to state how Mr. Vaus benefits by more money being raised for the hospital (a fund raiser he has been involved with for many years before this recall effort)."

Those who attend Carols by Candlelight are asked to pay between $30 and $100. Part of the reason people fork out so much dough is because it benefits a charity. Last year's Carols by Candlelight benefitted Make A Wish. Part of the article that got edited out includes the part where I asked you how much money was actually raised for Make A Wish last year. You said "I don't know off the top of my head."

You don't remember how much money was raised for your charity last year? Do you not give them a check? It was only 10 or 11 months ago Steve. Maybe now you can tell us. By the way, is Carols by Candlelight a non-profit group? How does that work, Steve?

jstlucas Nov. 13, 2009 @ 9:31 a.m.

So how many of you people screaming for Betty's head actually voted for Betty in the 2006 election instead of voting for any of the challengers?

Wudstuck Nov. 12, 2009 @ 8:56 p.m.

Oh gosh, PittlePete -- I don't think anyone is listening to you anymore... I think you are one of the most uninformed people I've ever seen on this forum. And as for your vulgarity laced comments, I'm sure the Reader is getting plenty of complaints about them & they should be deleted shortly.

askale Nov. 11, 2009 @ 2:23 p.m.

I am not sure what Constitutional grounds exist to advocate to impeach either President Bush or Obama, but regardless, the timing is immaterial.

So if Rod Blagojevich only had a year left in office, a blind eye should have been turned? Or for Duke Cunningham? Or Nixon? Or Eliot Spitzer? The amount of term left is irrelevant. The key is once a politician needs to go, the people cannot just wait and let that person remain in a position of power. That is why the remaining term of the aforementioned individuals was not an issue.

Mr. Vaus simply stepped up at the behest of the four other members of Poway's City Council -- they unanimously recommended Rexford resign. Once she rebuked that demand, a recall was the only way to effectuate her removal from office. Lucky for Poway, someone volunteered to step up and spearhead such an effort.

David Dodd Nov. 11, 2009 @ 2:36 p.m.

I have to agree with Pete here. The effort to impeach Rexford, if successful, will cost citizens much more than simply to allow her term to expire and elect someone else in her stead. Smells like self-promotion more than a well-thought effort to save the City of Poway some sort of damage.

magicsfive Nov. 12, 2009 @ 9:07 p.m.

lmao...i'm listening to you pete...you know i love ya. LOTS of us do around here :D

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 11, 2009 @ 2:37 p.m.

Betty is a real piece of work.

She is has really gone over board on her power tripping.

I love it when she melts down at the council meetings when people tell her she has to go!@

Jay Allen Sanford Nov. 12, 2009 @ 3:14 a.m.

John78 says in #14 "Look into what caused the lawsuit..."

"Look into the city manager..."

"See how a Poway fire Captain told in a deposition ...."

May I remind that Blurt is a MUSIC column? The story is about Mr. Vaus, the musician. All those other queries are certainly story-worthy and deserve - perhaps even demand - further journalistic investigation and public debate.

In the City Lights section, where available space isn't limited to 350 words or less ....

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 3:49 a.m.

Actually Jay, with all due respect, you're wrong. The story itself talks about the ongoing effort by Mr. Vaus to unseat Mrs. Rexford. That makes this discussion VERY fair game.

clariece Nov. 11, 2009 @ 2:56 p.m.

As an active member of the Recall Rexford Group not once has Mr. Vaus ever promoted his career during the recall events. The Christmas program was promoted by KSON through the KSON website and emails I received from KSON - NOT Mr.Vaus. Mr. Vaus is performing at the event and handling the ticket sales.

This is once again - the typical tactic for Rexford's 4 supporters. Divert the attention from the facts and point fingers. They can't argue facts so let's attack the person.

Fortunately for the rest of us, the facts speak loud and clear that Rexford abused her authority and her position. She needs to resign. The fire trucks were there. It was an open secret after the Cedar Fire.

The argument to just let her stay and finish her term is not a valid one. She is a lame duck at best and a danger for more legal actions at worst.

Betty been limited to the "Pet of the Month" announcement at City Council meetings and the opening the new dog park. It's the only thing she can do where we probably won't get sued.

stevevaus Nov. 11, 2009 @ 12:24 p.m.

Ken you've got your facts wrong. The RecallRexford link is on the SteveVaus.com web site - not the Buck Howdy site - you should correct that. As I told you in the interview, if I was plumber in Poway and had a store I'd hang Recall Rexford signs in the store.

Rexford is a corrupt politician and she's gotta go.

Steve Vaus http://www.RecallRexford.com

PistolPete Nov. 11, 2009 @ 12:38 p.m.

This whole thing is stupid. Instead of wasting money to recall her, why not just not re-elect her in one year? That's right, ONE YEAR! She'll be gone in the blink of an eye before you know it. I'm neither a friend nor foe of Mrs.Rexford seeing as I've never lived in Poway but one can't help but wonder where Mr.Vaus's TRUE motive lies...concerned citizen or self-centered self-promoter?

BillRayDrums Nov. 12, 2009 @ 12:16 p.m.

WTG Steve. And if you're not going to promote your musical stuff with this issue, allow me to so shamelessly.

http://oddgeteven.com http://thejourneymen.net

Two completely different albums, same set of drumtracks used. :D

Jay Allen Sanford Nov. 12, 2009 @ 5:14 a.m.

Sure, the comment section DISCUSSION is fair game - I'm saying that it's wrongheaded to berate a music reporter for not covering all that non-musical ground in the Blurt itself. Which is what John78 was doing - he's wrong. He was literally instructing Ken that he should have looked into - and written more about - the political aspects. If Ken HAD, it would have been a very different article, and it would have run in a different section of the Reader.

ChrisCruse Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:07 p.m.

One more thing, Rachel wouldn't say whether that $25,000 included corporate sponsorships or was a separate amount from Vaus.

PistolPete Nov. 11, 2009 @ 3:50 p.m.

I'd just like to clarify that I am in no way a supporter of Betty Rexford. I think what she has been accused of is deplorable. However, just because Mr.Vaus is not actively using this recall effort to further his musical career does not mean that that is not what is happening. Afterall, ALL publicity is good publicity. What this comes down to is the fact that money will once again triumph over simple common sense. Save the money and trouble and the same results will be achieved.

Again, I'm neither friend nor foe of either Mr. Vaus or Mrs. Rexford. I'm just a casual observer laughing his balls off at the foolishness of all of this.

runswscissors Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:30 p.m.

Chris is all up in arms because she can't argue facts so she goes on a wild goose chase by calling and bugging Make A Wish. Face it. You don't know where the fire trucks were and you don't know how a charity is run.

stupidflanders19 Nov. 11, 2009 @ 3:50 p.m.

Pete - if you don't care what happens in Poway then why comment on this article? Many people in Poway, including all four other council members, want her to resign RIGHT NOW. She has cost the city 1/2 a million in legal fees to defend her bullying ways. I say no more. Get Rexford out of office ASAP before she does something else stupid that us citizens of Poway will have to pay for.

jstlucas Nov. 13, 2009 @ 12:29 p.m.

kenl, how about "fiddles for festivus"?

John78 Nov. 12, 2009 @ 7:45 a.m.

Jayallen,

He brought up the fact what was going on in Poway and said that Steve was using this platform to to bring more attention to his music and charity, oh and seems to make it clear his agenda is NOT to oust Mrs. Rexford but to help build his career and music.

If Ken wanted to talk to Steve JUST about his music or charity then why bring any part of the Poway story into this discussion?

He brought it to the Readers attention so I just wanted to clarify a few things that were not talked about.

If you want fair and open journalism then hear both sides of the issue. Seems like Ken had another agenda on this subject.

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:34 p.m.

It still doesn't excuse the fact that there is a group of people looking like a bunch of retards in Poway.

PistolPete Nov. 11, 2009 @ 3:56 p.m.

I commented because anyone willing to support Mr. Vaus's efforts looks like a moron. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that ALOT of people who want Mrs. Rexford out of office also voted her in. Time to reap what you sow for being an uneducated voter. Again, less than ONE YEAR to go. Ya'll can wait it out. There's been more f***ed up politicians in Poway than Mrs.Rexford. Poway is one of the only places I've seen in my 4 1/2 years out here that will bitch about Wally World expanding their grocery store yet tear down a smog shop, a lawn mower shop, a gas station and a car wash to make way for a Walgreens. YEAH! Poway seems to be a pretty ass backwards place to me. Thank God I'm moving to Esco on the 28th. At least in Esco, you know who the corrupt officials are and can plan accordingly. :-D

David Dodd Nov. 11, 2009 @ 4:14 p.m.

"...if you don't care what happens in Poway then why comment on this article?"

That's a silly statement. It's like someone telling you that you may not have an opinion on the affairs of the country of France.

You should invite thoughts and comments from outside of the community. Since we have no emotional investment, our comments are not in any way biased. Unbiased comments are honest input into a situation where residents of Poway are liable to feel one way or another. Like Pete, I couldn't give a single cat turd about what goes on in Poway, but my observations are worth considering for that very reason. My point, and perhaps Pete's, is to simply consider the cost of recall versus letting the term run out.

That's the real debate. We'll believe you when you say that the mayor is corrupt and unworthy.

ChrisCruse Nov. 13, 2009 @ 12:30 p.m.

In the interest of correctness, the email sent to me was from "Carols by Candlelight" not "Carols for Candlelight". The angels link in the email (http://www.starsconcert.com/angels.html) is now "not found". But I did save screen shots.

Wudstuck Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:42 p.m.

"YEAH! Poway seems to be a pretty ass backwards place to me. Thank God I'm moving to Esco on the 28th. At least in Esco, you know who the corrupt officials are and can plan accordingly. :-D"

And as for you, Pete, good riddance. That's all we need are more uneducated rednecks acting like they are the be-all, know-all & end-all of any conversation. Sounds like you & Joe the Plumber would get along juuuuuuust fine.

askale Nov. 11, 2009 @ 1:06 p.m.

This is a disappointing piece. There is not a single "fact" that Mr. Vaus has (a) used this recall to profit; or (b) that he is doing it to gain publicity.

An unbiased story would look at the facts, such as whether downloads of his songs have increased in iTunes, or whether sales of his records have increased. Given no such evidence was presented, I postulate it has not happened. And looking at this objectively is it even plausible to think that having some local stories in Poway discuss Mr. Vaus is going to have any measurable effect on national record sales?

In fact, the only "evidence" in this story is that there was a promotion of Carols by Candlelight. But that is a fund-raiser for Rady Children's Hospital -- a very worthy cause. Not surprising the story fails to state how Mr. Vaus benefits by more money being raised for the hospital (a fund raiser he has been involved with for many years before this recall effort).

The story is Rexford's corruption. That Ms. Rexford's only defense appears to be to attack Mr. Vaus is telling as to her defense. Luckily, Mr. Vaus is courageous enough to stand up and do what is right, notwithstanding unsubstantiated, patently false gossip.

The fact that Rexford's "so-called supporters" can only take aim at the messenger, having no counter to the message, further demonstrates there is no legitimate reason for her not to be recalled. And those are the facts.

John78 Nov. 11, 2009 @ 11:02 p.m.

kenl, so let me ask you this. You go after Steve because he is doing a good thing for charity, yet you don't give a crap about how Betty has cost our city $500K? Sounds like your ass backwards to me. Look into what caused the lawsuit between the neighbors. See that her neighbors both were building homes and they took more than 4 yrs to complete due to her influence. Look into the city manager telling her to not influence public employees to get her way, yet she continued too do so. See how a Poway fire Captain told in a deposition his truck was pulled off a fire line in 03 to run to her neighborhood and do nothing for 18 hours while others burned to the ground. Look at the truck log that prove he was telling the truth.

Who care what Steve's reason is. The fact he has put alot of time into moving this fight forward is more than enough for me. The fact that people like you would take the chance with having a Betty Rexford left on your city council tells me that your give a crap less what happens to Poway.

She has cost us enough and to leave her on the council would be just stupid. The cost of an election is less than 20K to add it to the June election and to me that is money well spent.

kenl Nov. 12, 2009 @ 11:14 a.m.

Dear John78-

I did not have an agenda. I was hipped to story this by a reporter for one of the daily newspapers who said Vaus was telling two different stories when he was confronted about whether he doing self-promotion or not. Both the reporter and Poway resident Virginia Hargarten told me Vaus said he had just released two new CDs and then later he said he he hadn't just released them. Coming from a guy who is screaming "corrupt," this is a little odd, don't you think? I don't think this says I have an agenda. I first wrote about Vaus seven years ago during his cowpie days.

But I am still waiting to hear how much money was raised for last year's charity, Make A Wish. He told me he didn't remember how much Carols by Candlelight raised when I spoke to him and he has not responded here. Yet Vaus is the guy who promotes the show, books the bands and pays the bills. Hmmmmm. Since he drapes a charity around that annual event and since people pay up to $100 a ticket, I think it would be nice if he told us.

ChrisCruse Nov. 12, 2009 @ 12:51 p.m.

For the record, I am not a "rexford apologist" and I never signed up for recall info. Steve Vaus somehow got my email address, he contacted me, we chatted and a few days later I got an email asking me to support "Carols by Candlelight". I didn't ask to be on ANY list. Someone took liberties with my email address. I have friends in Poway who also reported the same thing happened to them.

I've lived in Poway for 30 yrs and never heard of Steve Vaus before. So when he started pushing for Rexford to resign (and be replaced immediately by appointment), I started to wonder, "Who is this person, and why is he so very suddenly interested in getting rid of Betty and no other aspects of Poway politics or governance?"

Kenl, you have raised some interesting questions. I checked on guidestar and could not find any nonprofit group called "Carols by Candlelight". Maybe Vaus uses a different nonprofit??? I also called Make A Wish San Diego and talked to Rachel. She said that Vaus gave them about $25,000 last year, and that she was very happy about it. That's nice, but I am also wondering how much Vaus paid himself for the performance. Just wondering. Wondering if he gets more money that way than if it were just a regular gig. That would be kindof interesting to know. When I go to a fundraiser, I maybe mistakenly assume that the actors and musicians are donating their time and energy. That could be way off the mark. But it would be interesting to know how much Vaus paid himself each year to put on the fundraiser.

Wudstuck Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:33 p.m.

SHAME ON YOU, KEN LEIGHTNER for this awful piece of crap that you've written! Riddled with lies and hyperbole and OBVIOUSLY spurred on by the Rexford camp! I am involved in the Rexford recall movement & I didn't even know who Steve Vaus was or what he did until I actually ASKED him! The recall effort has NOTHING to do with his independent career. It has to do with Rexford's unethical behavior as one of Poway's city councilmen. Rexford's camp has made the issue of Vaus' career a hot spot -- why don't they go after every single one of us who have signed and/or circulated the petitions? Hm? IN ANY CASE, the recall is going forward -- powerfully and without ceasing until enough signatures are gathered to get it on the ballot -- which is not that far away at all. BYE BYE BETTY.

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:40 p.m.

Yeah.....BYE BYE BETTY 4 months early. The recall won't happen till June. The election is in November. Sounds like Poway has waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time and money on it's hands. You guys DO realize that by wasting money to remove her, you're looking like a bunch of hypocrites, right? Right? RIGHT???? Right. A similiar situation is playing out in Oceanside right now as well. I'm not so much opposed to recalling Betty as I am the suspicious nature of all of this in regards to Steve's career. Poway is known for patriotic,country music lovin, mom & apple pie, downhome folk. And meth heads. LOTS and lots of meth heads.

Poway-Home of cowboys,corrupt politicians,tweekers and half a pro football team(AKA The City In The Country)

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 1:48 p.m.

Hey dips***? I've never lived in Poway. As for being an uneducated redneck, I was born and raised in Chicago. I know all about corrupt politicians. It's funny. You guys sit there and bitch about Betty but half of you voted for Obama. Now, maybe I'm a retard, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sure the Republican half of Poway is up in arms over Obama taking this country in a socialist direction. How come there aren't any Impeach Obama campaigns coming out of Poway? That's right. Small town-small potatoes. My mistake. All I know is that right now Poway and Oceanside are the laughingstocks of the county and look like village idiots.

stupidflanders19 Nov. 12, 2009 @ 2:29 p.m.

refriedgringo: I would be disingenuous if I preface my remarks by saying I don't give a s*** what happens in France and then proceed to give my opinion about what is happening in France. I am all for everybody sharing opinions, but it seems silly to claim not to have interest in a subject and then go on to opine on that subject. Personally I like what Pete was bringing to the conversation (until his spat with Wudstruck) and appreciate hearing his insights, especially since they do not match mine and I like to hear opposing viewpoints.

PowayLisa Nov. 12, 2009 @ 2:35 p.m.

It seems to me that it would be a whole lot less work to promote an album to just promote an album. From what I can tell, Steve is working full time on the recall. He is a driven man. He is mad. And he is doing what many others want to have done, but the others don’t have the time to do. He has a support group that probably makes the task easier, but I will venture to guess that Steve isn't putting his foot into politics again any time soon. Somehow the spotlight has been put on him and his integrity is being questioned. Who wants to put themselves through that?

Also, Steve could have the recall election before June, but to save money (which is one of the major complaints against Betty) the recall elections will coincide with an already scheduled election. I haven't followed the O'side recall, but I don't think that is what they are doing.

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 2:59 p.m.

This isn't about Betty or Steve. It's about stupidity. It costs money to run a recall. Who's money? Yours and mine through taxpayer funds and private donations. I'm ALL for democracy but a little common sense goes a long way. The woman will be gone in less than a year. My roommate works in Poway. I go play bingo at the senior center in Poway. I know about Poway politics. The s*** bores me to death when the old biddies gossip about it. Poway couldn't even resurface the streets without pissing off a majority of drivers less than a month ago. Let it die already, Steve,et al. She's good as gone anyhow so why waste time and money on the inevitable. Oh wait-my mistake. According to some posters who have their panties in a bunch, Mrs. Rexford is pure evil and must be destroyed now!!! LMAO! She probably couldn't talk her way out of a traffic ticket right now. She's harmless. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't she a part of the city clowncil? That means that others have to agree with her if she's going to do any damage before being thrown out on her ass. How come nobody would be willing to start a recall campaign against the city clowncil members who agree with her.

Yes, she's a self-centered egotistical bitch. Uhhh....hello? She's a politician. What did you expect? Mother Theresa?

Yes, she's power hungry.

Yes, she's caused a half a million lawsuit against Poway.

YES, SHE'S GONE IN A YEAR! Think of as an early Xmas present next year. :-D

Someone needs to stop the insanity and Steve needs to get his flag wavin' ass in here and defend his good name or I'll be a bit more suspicious of his motives behind this whole thing. Others will follow. Steve? Paging Mr. Steve. You're so-called good name and intentions are being slandered in a Blurt hit piece...

ChrisCruse Nov. 12, 2009 @ 5:11 p.m.

I admit it, runwithscissors, I am no expert on how charities are run, although I do have a little knowledge about 501 nonprofits. They have to file an IRS form each year which shows how much money they bring in and how they spend the money. So, if Carols by Candlelight was run by a nonprofit group, I would be able to look at their IRS form 990 and see how much money they paid out to the performers and directors of the show. Just because a group is a nonprofit doesn't mean they don't pay out huge salaries and expenses. If someone is contributing to this fundraiser, they can see how much money actually goes to the charity and how much is gobbled up by expenses. I don't actually know if Vaus has a nonprofit group running the show or not. I am hoping Vaus will jump into the conversation and explain how his fundraiser works and how much he pays himself for performing and running the show.

PistolPete Nov. 12, 2009 @ 9:42 p.m.

Thanks magic. Oh, and Wudstuck? They're only deleted if they're libelous, slanderous over overly repugnant. :-D I LOVE knowing my thoughts are censored. It means I'm getting under people's skin, making them think about their own opinions. I myself aren't as egotistical to put me in the same company of great thinkers like Carlin, Pryor, or Bruce but I'm sure even my detractors around here might make that comparison. I know my GF does and she loves me for it.

One can make a complaint about my opinions but if they aren't in a certain category, those people are just plain s*** out of luck. :-D

clariece Nov. 13, 2009 @ 9:03 a.m.

I wasn't going to post a response to this article or the ridiculous comments by Chris Cruse and others but enough is enough.

How Vaus runs his business is his business. He doesn't owe me or anyone else an explanation. Why aren't you asking how I run my business or how any of the other Recall supporters make a living. Striking out at Vaus personally is a weak ad hominem attack. Here's what ad hominem means:

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent, but can also involve pointing out possible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is weak because insults and negative remarks about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

But since you're apparently in a business discovery mode - why not investigate why Betty thought it was ok to represent the seller of a property and also ok to go directly to City Staff to get the property sold. She was in violation of the Political Reform Act. Betty stood to profit on a deal where she used her position as a city council member to influence the City. The City Manager counseled her on this. But yet she continued to abuse her authority. Jim Bowersox felt like a high priced babysitter for Betty.

Betty needs to step down now. Even if it's only for 4 months. She's at lame duck at best and a walking legal liability at worst. She can only be trusted currently with introducing the pet of the month at the city council meetings and the opening of the dog park.

And people please stop with the name calling and insinuation that somehow we're doing something sneaky or we're not particularly bright. Not one of the pro-Recall supporters have ever called Rexford or her supporters any names or inferred a lack of intellectual capacity. Each side is comprised of intelligent people who are interpreting the facts as presented.

Recall supporters rely on the evidence. We argue the facts. We stick to the evidence/facts submitted in the form of deposition transcripts (sworn testimony), handwritten fire logs, a Federal Judge's opinion in his order of defendants' motion for summary judgment, to name a few fact sources. But not once have we ever called you or Betty or the 4 other supporters of Betty jackels, witch hunters, or dirty tricksters.

Enough.

ChrisCruse Nov. 13, 2009 @ 9:20 a.m.

I received an email from "Carols for Candlelight" asking me to be an angel and donate between $250 - $25,000 "to keep Carols afloat." I think I have a right to ask how much of the donated money goes into Vaus' pocket and how much goes to a charity.

Note: Carols for Candlelight webpage now states that the donations are not tax deductible as "Carols for Candlelight is not a charity."

MaryLou Nov. 13, 2009 @ 9:50 a.m.

This is not true:

"Not one of the pro-Recall supporters have ever called Rexford or her supporters any names or inferred a lack of intellectual capacity."

Here's what was replied by the same author to someone neutral and asking questions about the case:

"Well Ms. Blond (Betty is that you?), if I misstated federal law for state law when referring to the Political Reform Act my bad. Either way, it's a crime. But then some blonds aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed and probably wouldn't recognize a crime for what it is."

So much for "inferred lack of intellectual capacity".

kenl Nov. 13, 2009 @ 12:05 p.m.

So let's review- A Grammy-nominated local music mogul named Steve Vaus aka Buck Howdy, says he has gotten involved in local politics for the first time because he was fighting "corruption." He responds to this blog when he (rightfully) corrected that we cited the wrong Steve Vaus music website which directs people to support the recall.

But where is Steve Vaus now that all these questions arise about his annual fundraising concert which he stages called Carols or Candlelight. We asked him to tell how much he raised for last year's charity and he said he couldn't remember. Now a blogger points out that he has now added to the Carols by Candlelight website that this show is fact not a non-profit group. He has also declined to disclose how much he pays himself to organize and perform at Carols by Candlelight. I suppose he doesn't have to, but if you drape yourself in a charity to get people to cough up $30, $100 or $25,000 "to keep Carols by Candlelight afloat", it seems we have a whole new issue, if that charity may or may not in fact be in the loot loop. If you do donate $25,000 to Steve Vaus to keep Carols by Candlelight afloat, who cashes that check? That would be Steve Vaus. Where does that money eventually go? Apparently he doesn't have to tell us, yet he drapes himself in Make A Wish (last year) or Rady Children's Hospital (this year) to get people to pony up.

I would note to some of the bloggers above that (in my opinion only) that this may not be the best forum to air out your feelings about Betty Rexford. Surely it seems that the Rexford haters have some valid points. But, I think those bloggers (and local newspaper reporters) should look into this guy who is spearheading the recall effort who seems to be pandering to people's charitable feelings by asking them to send him checks which he can cash and do with as he pleases, while all the while suggesting that the real charity is supposed to be getting the proceeds. What are those proceeds Steve? There is absolutely nothing wrong with using this recall to promote your own causes. More power to you. But what does it all mean when the Head of the Recall is simultaneously asking people to send in big bucks to benefit the fundraiser that you own, while having none of the accounting or responsibility that you would have if you were a legitimate non-profit. It seems like you have the best of both worlds: You can use a legitimate charity to get people to cough up money to you, but you get to keep the cash without having to report anything.

I think I'll start my own holiday singalong. How about Yodells for Yom Kippur. Or maybe Steve you could branch out with Kowpies for Kwanza.

PistolPete Nov. 13, 2009 @ 12:41 p.m.

Sounds to me like Mr.Vaus is ripping off the CbC name... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carols_b...

What's funny is that CbC USED to be an outdoor show. Mr.Vaus has killed that spirit as well... http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/events/carols-candlelight/

Me thinks Mr.Vaus is just another Republican hypocrite that Poway LOVES to adore...

kenl Nov. 15, 2009 @ 1:24 p.m.

Steve -

Why is it still a secret how much you raised for your charity from last year's Carols by Candlelight? It's been four days since you first blogged on here. I know that you read this since you already blogged to let us know about which of your music websites is used for the recall. Although Make A Wish is a sanctioned non-profit, their fund raiser named Rachel said she would not disclose the amount she got from you last year. I thought the a major reason behind establishing 501C3 groups was to keep things open and honest. You can skate around it somehow because you are not a non-profit. I don't think Make A Wish can not get away with keeping things secret.

When I first asked you, you said you couldn't recall how much you raised for them. What's your excuse now?

I think Make A Wish and Carols by Candlelight have some 'splaining to do.

Seth Nov. 17, 2009 @ 11:52 p.m.

I wonder if I write articles that are factually inaccurate, glamorize the inane and then go out of way to stir s*** up with people that have logical and valid points that are different from what I "reported," will I one day be as big as Ken Leighton and Jay Allen Sanford? Ahhhh... a boy can dream.

Jay Allen Sanford Dec. 5, 2009 @ 9:12 a.m.

Vaus was just nominated again for two 2010 Grammy Awards; Best Musical Album for Children for Pete Seeger Tribute: Ageless Kids’ Songs, and Best Spoken Word Album for Children for Aaaah! Spooky, Scary Stories & Songs.

PistolPete Dec. 8, 2009 @ 11:28 p.m.

RECALL KERN CAMPAIGN fails miserably:

Recall of Oceanside Councilman Kern falls short By UNION-TRIBUNE

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 10:39 p.m.

OCEANSIDE — Voters have overwhelming rejected the effort to oust Oceanside Councilman Jerry Kern from office.

In unofficial results, with 60 of 60 precincts reporting Tuesday night, the recall vote was: Yes — 8,611 (36.8 percent); No — 14,803 (63.2 percent).

The polls closed at 8 p.m.

Let's hope the RECALL REXFORD CAMPAIGN fails twice as bad.