Dad didn’t speak, but his answer was in his smile, which burgeoned into a giggle that seemed to say, “Yes, but I don’t mind.” For the briefest of moments, the rambunctious energy that radiates from my father was muted. It must have been a lot to take on; before he’d had a chance to process the news and what it meant for the coming months, we’d been all over his shit with our ill-conceived scheme to accelerate the car before the key was even in the ignition.

The three of us left the laminated floors and medicinal odors of the hospital for the summery colors and the comforting aromas of baked bread at our Hillcrest breakfast haunt. While Jane enjoyed her cheese plate, I my quiche and coffee, and Dad his demi-baguette and tea, we spoke of pleasant things. An hour later, we stepped outside to find that the rain had stopped, and the sidewalks glistened in the warm light of the sun.

Comments

angelp March 4, 2009 @ 12:24 p.m.

You and your family will be in my thoughts I wish only the best.

gofurry March 4, 2009 @ 1:39 p.m.

Here's wishing your dad the most rapid recovery possible!

magicsfive March 4, 2009 @ 2:34 p.m.

good lookin' out for your dad, barb and jane...i wish him (and you) the best!! xoxoxo

Barbarella Fokos March 4, 2009 @ 2:53 p.m.

Thank you, Angel, fur-lover, and Magics. I appreciate the well wishes, and we're confident that everything is going to be as bright as Dad's aura. All of his daughters, Jane, Heather, me, and Jenny, are on hand with love and support.

Barbarella Fokos March 7, 2009 @ 9:59 a.m.

Thank you, Gretchen! Happy to see a fellow Twitterer over here. There is a LOT of love in my family, and it's nice to know that I am able to convey it. I'm so sorry you lost your father at such a young age. It is wonderful that you have a loving man who is a good father to your child in your life -- sounds like there's a lot of love in your family as well. :)

Gretchen March 6, 2009 @ 9:23 a.m.

Barb, Through your writings, I can feel the love you and your sister have for your father, and he for you. You're all very lucky to have each other. Makes me realize even more what I have missed in my life since I lost my dad when I was only a baby. I'm grateful that my sweet guy is here and is such an incredible dad to our grown daughter. She, like you, is very fortunate to have a positive male influence. Thank you for sharing and I send warm thoughts for healing and good health. Warm regards, Gretchen, your twitter twerp