Half a breath after the last word of the show (which happens to be “thing”) had been uttered, I said, “Well? Did you like it?” I was ecstatic when they answered in the affirmative. “I knew you would!” I said. “That’s just great. Next we can watch the musical commentary. And then, if you guys are up for it, I was thinking of working on my own video application to the Evil League of Evil.”

David, who’d been sucking down as much Horrible-flavored Kool-Aid as me, asked, “Do you have an idea for your villain yet?” I shook my head. Then, demonstrating our compatibility in the dork arena, David added, “Well, I’ve decided that mine’s going to be the Baker. Rather than making pretty little cupcakes I’m going to use my flour for evil! MWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!”

Comments

magicsfive Feb. 18, 2009 @ 3:28 p.m.

lmfao...barb u are priceless, and how i wish i had made it into your circle of friends before leaving san diego :) keep up the good work! xoxo

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 18, 2009 @ 3:54 p.m.

So happy you enjoyed this glimpse of my immense geekiness, Magicsfive! Oh, and it is immense. My geekiness. Just sayin'. ;)

catty1 Feb. 19, 2009 @ 3:10 p.m.

I knew I liked you for a reason. Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long blog is sublime. Economic forces have kept me from getting the dvd-I envy your singing commentary knowledge!

You'll have to borrow my complete set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, there's a musical episode in season 6. Oh yes. And it's DEVOON!

Also, on YouTube, NPH and Jason Segel on Megan Mullally's short lived talk show burst into a duet from Les Mis. Acapella. Okay, stopping now, too much geek showing.

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 19, 2009 @ 3:51 p.m.

I am SO happy you pointed that out for me, I'd never seen it. I know EVERY word to Les Miserables, and they nailed it! Oh, what an afternoon treat for me, thank you, Catty1!

catty1 Feb. 19, 2009 @ 4:15 p.m.

You are most welcome-gave me goosebumps the first (mumble) times I watched it so I had to share.

MsGrant Feb. 20, 2009 @ 9:53 a.m.

Barbarella - have you ever considered going back to school and getting a MFA? You have a natural inclination toward the arts that you don't see everyday. Not that a piece of paper would be needed to validate your already considerable knowledge, but you could be a real, much-needed contributor to San Diego's dearth of fine arts.

JohnnyVegas Feb. 20, 2009 @ 11:47 a.m.

Barbarella - you look very different in the video from the Reader mug shot. What gives with that??????

Might be the lipstick and those things in your hair.

You should use that video cap for your reader shot :)

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 20, 2009 @ noon

MsGrant, I'd have to go the first time in order to "go back." ;) Is being geeky a natural inclination for the arts? Thank you for the generous vote of confidence in my abilities, it puts a smile on my (ahem, Johnny) currently lipstick-free face. In seriousness, though, Johnny, I'm sure it's a combination of lighting (it's glarey in my office) and makeup. Oh, and feathers. I always look different when I wear feathers. :D

bluenwhitegokart Feb. 21, 2009 @ 4:49 a.m.

Barb: I went to Palomar college on the 6 year plan, then transferred to Penn State for my upper division courses. College isn't the be all/end all, but I don't regret for a moment the time it took - retrospectively, I would have borrowed the money and just have gotten it done - nor the money I spent. Oh, and I graduated with highest honors in '99 at age 44, so there.

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 22, 2009 @ 1:01 p.m.

Congratulations on your hard-earned degree, Bluenwhitegokart! My aunt got hers after 50. I was going to University of Phoenix when I reached an impasse -- continue and accrue a ton of debt, or stop and cut my losses, when it seemed a degree wasn't going to further me in my chosen career.

MsGrant Feb. 24, 2009 @ 7:25 a.m.

I fought my inner geek for years! When I finally realized that I was not cool, it was like the flood gates opening! Geeky IS cool!!

Joe Poutous Feb. 25, 2009 @ 6:56 a.m.

I have no inner geek. I've gone professional!

• Joe IT Systems Manager

Barbarella Fokos Feb. 25, 2009 @ 12:02 p.m.

So true, Joe: IT Systems Manager? You really embraced that geek and let it out! ;) Geek is chic.

carlybond Sept. 16, 2009 @ 8:53 p.m.

I just registered for this site to say thank you for writing a story about Dr Horrible. i watched it after reading your article...being a musical hater...then going through a bad break up came to find it again and surprisingly the soundtrack has brought me back to life!

i just thought you should know how greatly your article has turned around a sa turn of events and thank you.

so...