“I’ll wash the dishes.”

“I already did that,” said David.

“No, you loaded the dishwasher,” I said. “I’ll wash the dishes by hand.”

David shrugged and stepped aside so I could get to the sink. For 20 minutes I fixated on the hot water as I scrubbed away the demons. When I’d finished, I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I turned off the water and David appeared at my side. “Are you ready for bed now?” he asked. David led me upstairs, where I crawled beneath the comforter and pressed my face to the pillow. As the fog of sleep began to envelop me, I mumbled to David, “You don’t think I’m crazy, do you?” I wasn’t awake long enough to hear his reply.

Comments

MsGrant Dec. 3, 2008 @ 8:49 p.m.

We don't start out crazy. We DRIVE ourselves crazy. And we can drive ourselves sane. High achievers have high anxiety. No one is ever as disappointed in us as ourselves.

bohemianopus Dec. 4, 2008 @ 7:34 a.m.

It's okay. We're Italians. It is our JOB to live life with so much passion that it sometimes explodes out the top of our heads.

What you need is a little wine, something with garlic and a good fight with someone -- like a Republican who still thinks Bush did a good job as president. Then go home and have a lot of hot monkey sex. It's better than the Xanax.

Pat (The Italian Dr. Ruth)

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 4, 2008 @ 7:59 a.m.

MsGrant, those are wise words. I do believe I am my harshest critic (except perhaps for one scathing psycho I used to work with).

Barbarella Fokos Dec. 4, 2008 @ 8 a.m.

Oh, Pat, I love the idea of wine and a garlic food fight! I wonder if Bush-lovers react to garlic the same way vampires do. ;)

Nikola Dec. 4, 2008 @ 11:21 p.m.

love the music in your clip...Satie is one of my favorite composers:)))

pete78 Dec. 5, 2008 @ 3:47 p.m.

Sometimes I cry like a little bitch too...like when Taco Bell runs out of Tacos.

MLynn Dec. 16, 2008 @ 4:13 p.m.

Oh Barb we have up days and down days, the thing is to just get past them, and you do. You picked a Very good one in David. Some men, (well most) would just throw up there hands and tell up to "such it up". In Him you have a wall to lean on, A strong, warm and loving wall that will hold you till you can stand again and face the world. Love you much MLynn