Daniel Powell 2:52 p.m., May 29
- Community Blog
- Serra Mesa Stories
Make time to Stay Healthy
Thankful to have the North Central Public Health Center nearby. It's flu season. The center offers flu shots for $10 a pop.
My wife Carmen and I went this morning. There's a whooping cough outbreak in our region so they threw in the immunization shot for that too.
The public health center is on 5055 Ruffin Road across from National University. Nice building too, with security, metal detectors to make you feel safe inside. The wait for the flu shot was short.
We made appointments for the kids to get shots too but the earliest they could schedule them during an after-school time slot is Nov. 30. Not sure we want to wait that long; doesn't take much to get someone sick and for it to spread in a crowded house.
The San Diego Black Nurses Association is offering free flu shots this Sunday at Christ the King Church in Logan Heights. I'm familiar with the church, having covered the neighborhood for years for the Union-Tribune.
Will be good to make it out to Logan this wekeend but also a challenge. Taking a digital photography class at the North City Continuing Education Center. Kids have Bible class also. It'll make for a busy day. But you have to make time to keep and stay healthy.
More like this:
- My angel wore a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey and brought manna to my house in Serra Mesa — Nov. 22, 2010
- Busy day on the Freeways ends with a sad note on my Library's door — Oct. 21, 2010
- Hard times test our faith. Serra Mesa has a classroom for that — Oct. 13, 2010
- Serra Mesa is part of North City — Oct. 12, 2010
- Where is a bus when you need one? — Oct. 5, 2010