So close and yet so far,

we are but figments

of each other’s fantasies,

which are nothing but fallacies…

what I wouldn’t give to be spared

the anguish of loving you,

the agony of

reciprocity,

the liability

of my gullibility

disguised as compassion,

as empathy,

as fulfillment,

as stargazing, yearnful lust.

You play me like a grand piano

touching all the right notes

and I feel resurrected romanticism

poisoning my every intention,

my dearest aspirations,

my very soul.

As much as I wish yours well,

dearest one, I am not a viable

option and in loving you

I set you free

to live your life

beyond

the representation

of that which you see

in me. I am a man

you have no capacity

to fulfill. You are

a blossoming woman,

fragile and volatile

enraptured

in the tenderness

of a moon glistening dew

of first love.

Comments

MackZender March 7, 2012 @ 6:54 p.m.

Risky business, that. Nice attempt at a difficult subject.

nan shartel March 7, 2012 @ 9:05 p.m.

now who could resist such a straight shootin' woman...only a jerk would not requite...hahahahahahahahahahaha

this is a "beauty way to go" poem (as my Canadian would say) chicita ;-D)

Ruth Newell March 7, 2012 @ 10:11 p.m.

Actually, she is not quite. I think this would qualify as one of Z and Q's "but" situations. Thanks for reading Nan. Hey--how are your ribs healing?

nan shartel March 8, 2012 @ 12:30 p.m.

yeah u're probably right about the Q and Z thingie

crap i just found out i have Osteoporosis...2 vertebraes have also collapsed...i can't do Zumba anymore and downward dogs are off my list for 6 months

must stifle coughs and sneezes...not pick up heavy things...er um how heavy...hahahahahahahaha

i won't go into sexual positions here but ggggggggrrrrrrr...hahahahahahahahaha but now i can say that yelling "break my bones" can be taken literally

i'm warning everyone

DRINK UR MILK AND DON'T GET OLD!!! ;-d)

Twister March 8, 2012 @ 3:21 p.m.

I'm taking 500mg of Ca twice a day plus 1,000 plus 1,000 IU four times a day. I'm lactose intolerant. Milk may not be enough.

However, one can save some money by wearing brief clothes and going out into the noonday sun along with us mad dogs and Englishmen, staying out, without sunscreen, only half as long as it would take your skin to turn pink (nowhere near sunburn) at least twice a day.

Ruth Newell March 8, 2012 @ 6:33 p.m.

Go out into the noonday sun twice a day? You ARE from another planet just as I suspected. :)

nan shartel March 8, 2012 @ 8:09 p.m.

i know twister...some of the things we now all do to ward off skin cancer leaves us susceptible to Osteoporosis...don't forget the magnesium and vitamin D in that bone caring formula of yours

i can't drink milk either..which is probably partially responsible 4 my difficulty

i'm going to start Fosamax this week...

mad dogs arise!!!

the Kaiser Docs say 1200 mgs of calcium a day is enough for my size..what do u think??

Twister March 8, 2012 @ 10:02 p.m.

I'd think real hard about a second opinion. I'd ask to have my Ca checked every quarter or in a month or so at the start. I'd want to know the ups and downs of Fosamax, but it might be right for you. I'd ask about birth control pills--even after menopause.

I'd get just a little sun (but I don't, so I take the Vitamin D). I can't even spel dockter; I'd ask her what her plan is rather than be passive.

nan shartel March 9, 2012 @ 11:20 a.m.

me passive....hahahahahahahahahaha

worry not...i was a single head of household raising 5 kids for 20 years working in the medical field...

i don't really want the Fosamax but it will ensure me healthier bones i like my active life style and will give it a try

didn't mean to hijack the comments Roody...forgive

the poem is amazing!!!

nan shartel March 8, 2012 @ 8:14 p.m.

i know...i hope my hip swizzle won't lock up while i wait

Lisa Bruhn March 8, 2012 @ 9:46 a.m.

I love this.. "What I wouldn't give to be spared the anguish of loving you.." Many people can relate to this I'm sure!

Ruth Newell March 8, 2012 @ 6:35 p.m.

I, myself, haven't been in those "but" situations and love all out. I have, however, been in love relationships without the reciprocity--at least for the long term relationship aspect. So, yes, I am certain you are right, Lcbruhn.

Twister March 8, 2012 @ 3:35 p.m.

As to the pathology that creates conditions like those expressed, most of it can be laid to culture, especially law.

A man might have the manly instincts to swamp your senses and come on like an African bull elephant like a REAL man, but he runs a heavy risk of landing in jail. Even so, no man I know would express such sentiments in such a way, but would know that a woman would. He would just stay away; it's harder and harder to be harder and harder.

Down deep, down there and everywhere, a REAL woman would respond, but few men (Metrosexuals?) know woman in enough depth to differentiate those who, inevitably pissed, would holler "rape" from those who yearn for cleaving like a clam into a transcendent ONE for a brief but prolonged pronging of their mutual musical tuning forks until the champagne flute breaks under high-C vibrations.

Ruth Newell March 8, 2012 @ 7:01 p.m.

Lots here--not all of which I am sure I correctly comprehend. Let me start my response by stating that we aren't talking about me here as I am hardly a minor aged blossoming woman--I'm well weathered and glad of it. Poets --as you well know--do write of other things other than themselves. That said, I was once a sweet young thing and do have daughters, and now grand daughters. Can't claim to be a "real" woman by anyone else's definition other than my own and so wouldn't attempt to define that for others. What I consider a "real" man another might settle for half and be blissfully happy. What I can say is that sexuality is all around us, as is sensuality. It is everywhere. And in our daily struggles to exist and thrive we are continually presented with 'opportunities' of all flavors. Being 'friends' is not an easy task when attraction is on one or both sides as I'm sure you know. Yet, we are moved by compassion and empathy to listen to those we care about and want to support them. YET doing so in certain situations can be seriously dangerous for several reasons. Even if the tables were reversed and the minor was a male and regardless of the fact that what defines a minor differs state to state--sticky business. The crux here is not just social taboos but also a host of practicalities. And the reality that so much can be misconstrued--on both ends. I write of the dichotomy of it all and it should be noted, for the record, that I am not uncomfortable with or judgmental about age differences in love relationships--at all. Women and men are definitely different in some ways, generally speaking, which I do gingerly. From puberty onward, those differences are what make and break the best of romances. I recall all too well how mature I thought I was when I was younger and cringe in recognition of how wrong I was. I knew so very very very little...not just about boys/men and life, but most importantly about myself. As a person AND as a woman.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Twister.

nan shartel March 8, 2012 @ 8:25 p.m.

goodness!!!

OK....hahahahahahaha...consenting adults caught in the miasma of carnal desire

poetically of course...acceptable i think

i think ur about 45 to 50 Roody dear...in that very susceptible age range for poetry and lyric prose ;-D)

Twister March 8, 2012 @ 9:55 p.m.

I don't necessarily write for you alone, but also for the young women who may read you.

As to the substance and the elusive nature of human behavior--the other animals are honest and are what they are. We seem to insist upon being less than we are, and we struggle against paper dragons and other lies. The real is kept from us by tradition, the yoke of culture hewing us to the plow.

Break the traces and gnash at the ropes and go deeper and farther into the actual self, eschewing, even disdaining the hawking of some spooky image.

My whole life has been one error after another, but ignorance is the portal to understanding, eh?

I have to "adopt" grandchildren. It ain't the same.

quillpena March 8, 2012 @ 11:03 p.m.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, nan. Get better soon, dammit. And stop fiddling with old age. Just stay away from it, okay? Nice poem, Roody.

nan shartel March 10, 2012 @ 12:10 p.m.

thx Quill will kick old age to the curb as soon as possible

when Fosamax has re-cemented my bones...hahahahahahahaha ;-D)