Larry Steckling 10 p.m., Nov. 26
Gregoire Maret is a professional harmonica musician. I watched a video of him playing "The Man I Love" with a band, and it's strange to see the harmonica as a feature instrument. My mental images of harmonicas: someone in a movie pulls it out of his overalls in an idyllic landscape or a rock musician goes nuts on one strapped to his neck during an interlude. I had no idea there are jazz musicians who study harmonica and perform solely on the instrument. This is restitution for a way underrated musical niche.
I'm simultaneously intrigued and weirded out by this.
About Maret: He studied at Conservatoire Supérieur de Musique de Genève and The New School in New York City. He's also won a Grammy playing with the Pat Metheny Group.
He performs at UCSD's The Loft in La Jolla at 8 p.m. tomorrow night. Tickets cost $11-30.
More like this:
- Gregoire Maret at The Loft — Oct. 21, 2012
- Tim Nunnink's Garage — July 26, 2012
- La Paloma Debuts Local Steve White Documentary Tonight, Aug. 14 — Aug. 14, 2011
- Steve White Memorial Event June 25 — May 29, 2011
- Old Music, New Again — May 31, 2007