Ken Harrison 6:30 p.m., July 29
How do you spend your Friday night?
In the nascent days of my TGIF column I would get the same response frequently to a single question begged by the column's rubric – or graybrick, I suppose. That question was, "How do you spend your Friday night?" or "What are you doing this Friday night?" The single most common answer was, "Not much. I'm pretty boring. I'll probably rent some movies, maybe order a pizza."
Among a few other things I have learned at least this much doing TGIF and that is, when people tell you that they're boring, they're usually telling the truth and you should listen to them and move on. But the renting movie response has shifted slowly, almost imperceptively into second place over the years in favor of this one, now almost cemented into first place as The Great Recession has settled over most of us like the depressive miasma that it is.
More like this:
- Where's the Thrill in Surfing the Web? — June 29, 2011
- No Bad Jobs, Just Bad Attitudes — Dec. 28, 2006
- We're on Vacation, Here to Play. Don't Let Facts Get in Our Way. — Oct. 26, 2006
- Nurses on the Run — Oct. 13, 2005
- Porn King of La Costa — July 30, 1998