Ian Anderson 8 a.m., July 4
Labor Council to support David Alvarez for Mayor
Labor council organized a campaign committee on behalf of councilmember David Alvarez
What's an election without an endorsement, and major campaign contributions, from big-labor?
On Thursday September 12, San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO, hinted at their endorsement of who they want to see replace former-mayor Bob Filner.
Despite dogged support from former labor leader turned state Assemblymember, Lorena Gonzalez, Nathan Fletcher will not get the support from the labor council. Instead that support, and what is sure to be major cash, will be put behind councilman David Alvarez.
The committee, "Working Familes for a Better San Diego to Support David Alvarez for Mayor 2013, Sponsored by the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council, AFL-CIO," filed a statement of organization on Thursday with the City Clerk's Office.
The filing shows that some labor unions and the larger council are going in separate directions for the upcoming special election.
Fletcher has already received endorsements from the San Diego Municipal Employees Association and the San Diego Firefighters Union IAFF Local 145, as well as support from friend and former labor council leader Gonzalez.
More like this:
- Restaurant lobby sets table for Faulconer — Feb. 6, 2014
- Mayoral candidates and their committees collect big-time donations — Sept. 25, 2013
- Hotel owners behind police clashes with union give big to newly minted Democrat Fletcher — Sept. 13, 2013
- Landslide of mailers in Chula Vista for one 80th district assembly candidate — May 20, 2013
- In just one day, labor-council chief Lorena Gonzalez collects nearly $20,000 in campaign contributions — May 13, 2013