Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Aug. 26
In just one day, labor-council chief Lorena Gonzalez collects nearly $20,000 in campaign contributions
Unions and other union affiliated committees continue to be the source for Gonzalez's large campaign chest
The week got off to a stellar start for Lorena Gonzalez and her run for State Assembly.
On Monday, May 13, Gonzalez once again showed off her fundraising skills, raking in just shy of $20,000 in one day's worth of filings.
According to campaign finance disclosures, the head of the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council received six large donations today. Of those donors, unions continued to be the main source of campaign revenue. In all, Gonzalez received $10,200 from union-affiliated political action committees. They included $4,100 from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers PAC, $2000 from the American Federation of Government Employees PAC, and another $4,100 from the Communications Workers of America.
But that was just under half of Gonzalez's money Monday. Also contributing to Gonzalez's run was the Barona Band of Mission Indians -- $4,100, and two campaign committees; Nora Campos for Assembly 2014 -- $1,000, and Darrell Steinberg for Senate 2010 -- $4,100.
The donations come on the heels of a major ad campaign against Gonzalez's closest competitor former Chula Vista City Councilmember Steve Castaneda.
As reported here on Friday, the Committee for Honesty and Accountability Opposed to Steve Castaneda for Assembly in 2013, sponsored by the California Teachers Association and the California Labor Federation, both union-affiliated political committees, coughed up a total of $100,000 to spend on their anti-Castaneda ad campaign.
According to a new disclosure from the Committee for Honesty and Accountability Opposed to Steve Castaneda for Assembly in 2013, the pro-Gonzalez committee has spent $28,040 of the $100,000 on a new mailer for the race.
More like this:
- Landslide of mailers in Chula Vista for one 80th district assembly candidate — May 20, 2013
- Teacher's Association and State labor union donates $100,000 to committee against Steve Castaneda — May 10, 2013
- Lorena Gonzalez rakes in more than $160,000 in campaign contributions in five month span — April 19, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Ben Hueso uses campaign funds for his brother's campaign and to pay for hotel stays with his son — Feb. 1, 2013