Julie Stalmer 8:30 a.m., May 1
Lorena Gonzalez rakes in more than $160,000 in campaign contributions in five month span
Union-head Lorena Gonzalez far ahead of her opponent Steve Castaneda in campaign donations.
Chief executive of the San Diego and Imperial County Labor Union and now state assembly candidate, Lorena Gonzalez, is proving to be quite skilled at fundraising.
Gonzalez, who is running for the assembly seat vacated by Ben Hueso, has raised more than $160,000 in five months time. The vast majority, more than $130,000 of which has already been set aside for her assembly run in 2016.
As for this coming special election, Gonzalez's list of donors is filled with powerful political insiders and elected officials.
According to recent campaign disclosures Gonzales has received big-money donations from the likes of Ben Hueso, who wrote a check for $4,100 on April 5 from one if his numerous campaign committees, Re-elect Ben Hueso for Assembly 2012, as well as nearly $20,000 from San Diego County's Native American tribes.
Not surprisingly, Gonzalez collected tens of thousands of dollars from local labor unions, including a $4,100 donation from her labor union's political action committee, "San Diego Works!"
And then there are the individuals who also decided to give to Gonzalez's committee which include super-lobbyists Paul Robinson- $250 on April 11, former policy advisor to Jerry Sanders and now political strategist, Phil Rath- $500, and board member for the San Diego Unified School District Richard Barrera also gave $500 for Gonzalez's run.
Gonzalez's opponent Chula Vista councilmember Steve Castaneda has a bunch of catching up to do in order to match his opponent's fundraising efforts. According to campaign disclosures, Castaneda has raised just over $26,000 between his two campaign committees.
More like this:
- Landslide of mailers in Chula Vista for one 80th district assembly candidate — May 20, 2013
- In just one day, labor-council chief Lorena Gonzalez collects nearly $20,000 in campaign contributions — May 13, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Ben Hueso uses campaign funds for his brother's campaign and to pay for hotel stays with his son — Feb. 1, 2013
- Gonzalez fundraising tops $100K in less than a month — Jan. 8, 2013