Matt Potter 12:30 p.m., Dec. 9
Alpine’s Viejas Casino is celebrating Friday the 13th of September by attempting to break two obscure Guinness World Records.
For the first stunt, the tribal gambling facility intends to play the world’s largest game of blackjack – dealing out cards that measure three feet by four feet on a 2200-square-foot table specially constructed for the event. The table will actually be open for use by local gamblers after the Guinness observers certify the event, though it’s unclear whether how long this will go on.
Later in the afternoon, staff will go after an apparently more popular record – most wine bottles uncorked in a 30 second span. The record was set by the Bellagio Casino in 2012 at 308, but was soon topped at a May 2013 wine festival in Minneapolis, when 474 bottles were (nearly) simultaneously cracked. Viejas staff say they’re going to shoot for a number over 700 – what happens with the wine in the bottles once they’re opened has not been disclosed.
More like this:
- Grenade found in casino bathroom — Sept. 16, 2013
- Backstage Rider: He Removes the Brown M&Ms - 50 Rockstar Contracts — March 28, 2012
- Where the Mountain Meets the Sky — Oct. 19, 2006
- Wine All You Want — Dec. 1, 2005
- Service Personality — March 11, 2004