Mike Madriaga 9:30 a.m., Nov. 23
Grenade found in casino bathroom
Sheriff’s deputies were called out to Viejas Casino in Alpine on Friday afternoon to investigate a suspicious device an employee located in a trash can while cleaning a restroom.
The casino at the time was conducting a promotion wherein staff attempted to break two obscure Guinness World Records – largest game of blackjack played and most bottles of wine simultaneously uncorked.
The Sheriff’s Bomb Arson Unit was summoned, cleared the area, and then moved in, determining that the object in question was a military issue smoke grenade. It’s unknown who threw the grenade away or why, and an investigation is ongoing, according to a release from the San Diego Sheriff’s Department.
More like this:
- Indian casino makes run at obscure world records — Sept. 13, 2013
- Sheriff's Department busts two rural marijuana grows — Feb. 25, 2013
- Felon used stolen truck to assault peace officer — Sept. 12, 2012
- DA Rejects Sexual Assault Case Against El Cajon Police Sergeant — Dec. 9, 2011
- San Diego Sheriff Shopping for Riot Control Munitions — Nov. 8, 2011