Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Dec. 9
Sheriff’s deputies were called out to Viejas Casino in Alpine on Friday afternoon to investigate a suspicious device an employee located in a trash can while cleaning a restroom.
The casino at the time was conducting a promotion wherein staff attempted to break two obscure Guinness World Records – largest game of blackjack played and most bottles of wine simultaneously uncorked.
The Sheriff’s Bomb Arson Unit was summoned, cleared the area, and then moved in, determining that the object in question was a military issue smoke grenade. It’s unknown who threw the grenade away or why, and an investigation is ongoing, according to a release from the San Diego Sheriff’s Department.
More like this:
- Indian casino makes run at obscure world records — Sept. 13, 2013
- Homicide caused one of two recent Santa Ysabel deaths — Nov. 1, 2012
- Body found inside burning car in Jamul — Sept. 21, 2012
- LA Credit Card Counterfeiters Caught at Local Casino — July 9, 2012
- Sheriff's Dept. Investigates Death, Announces DUI Checkpoint — June 28, 2011