Barbara Zaragoza 9:30 a.m., May 5
Border Patrol agents to remain on duty despite government shutdown
Most CBP employees considered essential
The vast majority of U.S. customs officials are expected to remain on duty throughout the United States government shutdown. According to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials, 52,673 of the 59,561 CBP employees will remain on duty.
The 88 percent of those remaining at work are deemed essential government employees.
The majority of other immigration services will also remain operating at some capacity.
More like this:
- Border Patrol’s forward bases collapsing into disrepair — Feb. 29, 2016
- Woman bites Border Patrol agent — May 7, 2015
- Swell of support for border parking project — Sept. 6, 2014
- U.S. Customs corruption is chronic, audit says — April 4, 2014
- Border Patrol rescues three lost immigrants in Imperial County — April 23, 2013