Jeff Smith 12:15 p.m., April 24
Border Patrol agents to remain on duty despite government shutdown
Most CBP employees considered essential
The vast majority of U.S. customs officials are expected to remain on duty throughout the United States government shutdown. According to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials, 52,673 of the 59,561 CBP employees will remain on duty.
The 88 percent of those remaining at work are deemed essential government employees.
The majority of other immigration services will also remain operating at some capacity.
More like this:
- U.S. Customs corruption is chronic, audit says — April 4, 2014
- Calexico border agents seize cash headed for Mexico, meth headed for U.S. — Sept. 5, 2013
- Border Patrol rescues three lost immigrants in Imperial County — April 23, 2013
- California border apprehensions lowest in over 10 years — March 5, 2013
- Big border busts — Dec. 12, 2012