• News Ticker alerts

Some think the political biases of Papa Doug Manchester of the Union-Tribune are atavistic, but his spirit sure isn't. He held his 70th birthday party bash almost a year ago at his Grand Del Mar hotel, but a video of the event showed up on Vimeo a few days ago. Here it is.

Note the scantily-clad young ladies in their bikinis. And note Papa Doug on the dance floor. His partner there appears to be Amanda "Mandy" Gunville. If this video has made the rounds before, I apologize for introducing it again, but it was new to me.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

monaghan May 14, 2013 @ 2:11 p.m.

Nice video, but I didn't see any of the Manchester kids at the party. Well, I guess Dad proved he's really old, but not-dead-yet.

Don Bauder May 14, 2013 @ 3:29 p.m.

monaghan: I didn't see Carl DeMaio either. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 14, 2013 @ 7:12 p.m.

asl3676: I'll bet Mark Fabiani and Dean Spanos were there, though. Best, Don Bauder

Psycholizard May 14, 2013 @ 10:43 p.m.

Glad to see musicians working. That band looks familiar, but I can't place them. Throwing big parties makes up for a lot. Put 'bikini' in a headline and it certainly improves circulation, My circulation anyway.

Burwell May 14, 2013 @ 11:01 p.m.

The band appears to be what's left of the original Beachboys.

Burwell May 14, 2013 @ 11:21 p.m.

The old guy at the microphone is Mike Love of the Beachboys. Papa Doug's reputation would suffer if he didn't hire the real deal. The Beachboys' booking website says the boys charge $100,000 for a one night stand.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 5:53 a.m.

Burwell: What's $100,000 to Papa Doug? He can pick that up by simply laying off a couple of U-T staffers. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 5:50 a.m.

Burwell: Right you are. I looked it up and the group was formed in 1961. So they are not wet behind the ears, athough the personnel probably changed through the years. Wasn't there a controversy about this group during the Reagan years? Reagan's interior secretary denounced the group and Nancy Reagan came to their support? Or was that somebody else? Best, Don Bauder

dwbat May 15, 2013 @ 10:48 a.m.

Yes, that was the bonehead interior secretary, James G. Watt. From Wikipedia: "During 2008, Time Magazine named Watt as the sixth worst cabinet member in modern American history."

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 11:38 a.m.

dwbat: Yes, you are correct: it was Watt and Nancy Reagan rebuked him. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 5:44 a.m.

Psycholizard: The star entertainers of the evening were the Beach Boys. It was their music accompanying the video, too. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark May 15, 2013 @ 9:55 a.m.

OK, I admit it, I watched the video. Good music, but there was some idiot that kept popping up in the video--white pants, blue shirt. It's like he is somebody important or something.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 10:30 a.m.

aardvark: Admit one other thing: you looked at the young ladies in bikinis doing their thing. Do you suppose they are: 1. hired for the occasion? 2. social friends of Papa Doug? 3. Reporters from the Union-Tribune? If No. 3, I can see that I left that newpaper too soon. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark May 15, 2013 @ 4:23 p.m.

Oh I admit it completely. But then again, that guy in the white pants and blue shirt kept getting in the way.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 9:46 p.m.

aardvark: Dammit, it was his party, and he paid for it. He had a right to cut off your vision. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark May 15, 2013 @ 9:56 p.m.

There must be a way to edit that guy out of the video.

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 6:05 a.m.

aardvark: You don't edit out the guy who is paying for the party, and for the video. But you are welcome to give it a try. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark May 16, 2013 @ 1:18 p.m.

All he would have had to do was invite me, and all would have been well. Oh well...

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 3:02 p.m.

aardvark: Don't feel bad. I didn't get an invitation, either. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell May 15, 2013 @ 11:15 p.m.

I've always suspected that Don was a newsroom lothario in the mold of the great Porfirio Bauderosa.

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 6:10 a.m.

Burwell: Incorrigible flirt, perhaps, but lothario, no. The fun ended at the door. As to Porfirio Rubirosa: he is supposed to have had physical assets that added to his charm. You couldn't have hung that on me. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya May 16, 2013 @ 11:01 a.m.

"..... have had physical assets that added to his charm. You couldn't have hung that on me." Slipped that one in, eh? Well done.

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 11:26 a.m.

Duhbya: It has gotten past the censors thus far. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 May 15, 2013 @ 1:11 p.m.

Manchester has been turning the U-T into an ultra-right wing journal ever since he published the full page ad for "2016" which was the GOP's racial attack propaganda movie against Obama during the 2012 presidential election campaign. Note that the word "HATE" was featured in the ad using extra large, bold red letters: http://2016themovie.com/

And Manchester's Editorial Page now uses the Goebbels Manual of Style emphasizing daily deranged rant rhetoric using the “big lie” tactic in which a lie, no matter how outrageous, is repeated often enough that it will eventually be accepted as truth.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 3:23 p.m.

Anon92107: Using the front page for editorials is one thing causing the paper to lose credibility and readership. Its editorials on the editorial page are often puerile. What is hurting the paper most is the fact that the editorial bias of the owner shows up in news reports. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 May 15, 2013 @ 4:01 p.m.

Editorials on the Front Page is turning the U-T into a new version of Der Sturmer, used as a propaganda tool for overthrowing German Democracy before WWII.

Manchester sounds like he wants to run Issa in 2016, like his role model Murdoch wanted to run General Petraeus in 2012.

Puerile doesn't really sound strong enough, unless you are really saying that the U-T editors have devolved into juvenile delinquents under the Manchester dictatorship.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 9:48 p.m.

Anon92107: Issa in 2016? Issa? Issa? I won't be able to sleep tonight. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 6:13 a.m.

Anon92107: Issa? Issa? President? Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 May 16, 2013 @ 10:56 a.m.

Sorry about that Don, but anything is possible from a publisher, as I described above, who also throws Playboy Mansion style parties to become Hugh Hefner's replacement, giving a new meaning to "Dirty Old Man(chester)."

Also heard that Koch wants to buy the L.A. Times, so the era of Der Sturmer II using the Goebbels Manual of Style is gaining momentum.

Don Bauder May 16, 2013 @ 11:29 a.m.

Anon92107: One rumor floating about -- it has been reported here, with requisite caveats -- has the Koch brothers uniting with Manchester in chasing S. Cal. newspapers. I don't know if there is any validity to that. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 3:26 p.m.

Walter Mencken: This is so good that Papa Doug may hire you as the newspaper's poetry critic. How are you on T.S. Eliot? Best, Don Bauder

Walter Mencken May 15, 2013 @ 6:19 p.m.

Well, I dare to eat a peach, if that's what you're asking. Thanks awfully for the kind word, and for finding this video.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 9:51 p.m.

Walter Mencken: April is the cruelest month...but that was last month. Best, Don Bauder

Anon92107 May 16, 2013 @ 10:54 a.m.

See above post, posted here by mistake.

Psycholizard May 15, 2013 @ 3:45 p.m.

Oh it must be true, I read it on the internet. I'm so glad our modern day Goebbels wannabes don't have his talent, or the brutal conditions that made fanaticism rule a modern nation. Mr. Manchester might be a formidable propagandist if he hired people who could write, or politicians who can lead. I hope this video foretells a new identity for him, not merely party animal, but party elephant. He has real talent. And money.

Don Bauder May 15, 2013 @ 9:54 p.m.

Psycholizard: Given the results of the last election, I would say he TRIED to hire politicians, but failed. Best, Don Bauder

Andy Boyd May 20, 2013 @ 4:07 p.m.

Video's gone. Does anybody have a mirror? I hope it's not lost forever. Who am I kidding?! It was on the internet, it's around somewhere.