• News Ticker alerts

CORPORATE WELFARE REPORT: The J.W. Marriott Desert Springs resort is asking Palm Desert to cough up $20,000 to help keep a Tony Robbins motivational seminar from moving to Florida this year, according to the Desert Sun. Robbins's five-day "Date With Destiny" seminar will be held at the Marriott in December, but it will cost the hotel chain $250,000, including $60,000 to fly Robbins and his crew from Florida, according to the newspaper. Marriott claims the event with generate $82,000 in transient occupancy tax for the city, so the hotel chain thinks Palm Desert should come up with a $20,000 subsidy. (Robbins's company is based in San Diego, but the Reader reported in April that he is buying a $25 million home in Palm Beach.) The Palm Desert city council was to vote on the matter Wednesday, but I haven't been able to determine the outcome, if there was one. I will report it when I find out.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Javajoe25 June 13, 2013 @ 10:56 p.m.

So, it will cost the Marriott a quarter mil to bring in the Tony Robbins show, and it will generate $82K in TOT for the city. What's missing from the equation, is how much does the hotel stand to make from the event?

Also, I would not describe this so much as "corporate welfare," as I would a "corporate shakedown" of a municipality. I suspect if the city declines to go along with paying the $20K subsidy, and Tony take his Date someplace else, the hotel stands to lose more than the city.

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 7:05 a.m.

JavaJoe25: I can't argue with your points. It certainly is a shakedown attempt; almost all corporate welfare scams are. I will report more as soon as I can get it. Last night, I couldn't get to anyone. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat June 14, 2013 @ 4:47 a.m.

A $25 million home? I didn't realize that old snakeoil salesman was doing so well.

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 7:06 a.m.

dwbat: Well, if he walks on hot coals, maybe he can walk on water. Yes, he has raked in lots of dough. Best, Don Bauder

Burwell June 14, 2013 @ 8:26 a.m.

Robbins is a guano merchant and the price of guano per pound is skyrocketing.

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 10 a.m.

Burwell: You hit it on the head again. Best, Don Bauder

Duhbya June 14, 2013 @ 8:55 a.m.

Sounds like he's in training to become an NFL owner.

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 10:01 a.m.

Duhbya: Well, 18 of the 32 NFL owners -- all corporate welfare mendicants -- are billionaires. Robbins has raked in a bundle, but I don't know that he is a billionaire. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 1:45 p.m.

Duhbya: Remember that Bill Clinton had Robbins to the White House to put on his motivation show. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 10:04 a.m.

BEHOLD! PALM DESERT CITY COUNCIL TURNS DOWN WELFARE REQUEST. According to Blake Herzog of the Desert Sun, the Palm Desert city council turned down Marriott's bid for a $20,000 subsidy by a 3 to 1 vote, with one abstention. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark June 14, 2013 @ 1:58 p.m.

I went to a minor league baseball game over 20 years ago in Las Vegas. We were sitting upstairs in the club level (hey, it was summer, after all, and the A/C worked VERY well), and who was sitting next to us--none other than Tony Robbins. We eventually left that part of the club, mainly because the SOB wouldn't shut up. He was talking to his date (I suppose) the entire time, and baseball never came up. Don't know what he was selling that night, but the guy is a windbag.

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 6:36 p.m.

aardvark: Yes, he is a windbag. That's what some people find so charming about him. They don't realize he isn't saying anything. Best, Don Bauder

EastCountyWatcher June 14, 2013 @ 4:03 p.m.

I saw Tony a number of years ago in downtown La Jolla. He was parking his Rolls Royce convertable in a red zone and just walked away smiling and waving at everyone! I got the impression he thinks his "guano" doesn't stink!

Don Bauder June 14, 2013 @ 6:38 p.m.

EastCountyWatcher: Well, he is worth half a billion dollars, apparently. He thinks that gives him privileges others don't have. Sad to say, it does. Best, Don Bauder