Marty Graham 10:30 a.m., Feb. 25
Another candidate enters the fray in the race for the District 6 council seat
Don Azul officially announces run for city council.
Add another runner to the race for the District 6 council seat. On June 11, soon to be 30-year-old Clairemont resident Don Azul officially threw his hat in the ring by submitting a Statement of Organization with the City Clerk's Office.
Azul joins former school board member Mitz Lee and Vice President for the San Diego County Taxpayer's Association, Chris Cate in the council race to replace current councilmember Lorie Zapf, who was forced to change districts after new council boundaries were drawn.
The Iraq veteran and veterans advocate is a native San Diegan and has served on a number of neighborhood committees during his stint on the Clairemont Town Council. On his website, Azul lists public safety, veterans affairs, education, and jobs among his key issues. If elected he plans to stay away from City Hall and open an office in the community in order to be more transparent.
But Azul has a tough race ahead of him, especially when trying to gain support from conservative voters.
Azul's opponent, Chris Cate, just received the endorsement of the local Republican Party. Cate's taxpayer advocacy is sure to help him with conservative voters.
His other opponent, Mitz Lee, has her own ties with the conservative voting bloc. In 2008, Lee lost her seat on the school board after the teacher's union slammed her for failing to meet one-on-one with the union. Lee was later defeated by John Lee Evans.
Azul will officially launch his campaign during a June 14 event at the VFW in Linda Vista.
More like this:
- Symphony lobbyist raises big cash for GOP Lincoln Club's city council contender — July 9, 2013
- Stealth attacks in San Diego's sixth district council race already flying — July 5, 2013
- Former school board member Mitz Lee officially announces run for District 6 council seat — June 5, 2013
- Amidst intrigue, San Diego GOP sets early endorsements for 2014 races — May 15, 2013
- Downtown lobbyist from Carlsbad seeking San Diego city council seat — April 12, 2013