Brandon Hernández 9 a.m., Aug. 28
Sheriff's helicopter "struck by laser"
At around 12:30 this morning (June 8), San Diego Sheriff Deputies Dollard and Brown report being "struck repeatedly by a green laser" while flying over La Mesa.
The deputies employed an infrared camera to locate 34 year-old Fernando Arrolando from his apartment balcony on the 5300 block of Baltimore Avenue.
La Mesa Police were dispatched to the apartment, where Arrolando admitted to using a 20 milliwatt laser to illuminate the helicopter. The laser pointer device (similar devices are advertised online as having a range up to eight miles) was confiscated, and Arrolando was booked into jail on five counts of discharging a laser light at an aircraft.
More like this:
- Warrant sweep yields 20 arrests — June 3, 2013
- Police officer struck by driver-less vehicle, car theft suspect escapes in La Mesa — May 9, 2013
- Car theft suspects arrested in El Cajon — Feb. 19, 2013
- Failed liquor store robbery involving submachine gun — Oct. 22, 2012
- Vista Man Shows Off Improvised Arsenal to Deputies — July 23, 2012