Dominic Carrillo 1:56 p.m., Oct. 9
Sheriff's helicopter "struck by laser"
At around 12:30 this morning (June 8), San Diego Sheriff Deputies Dollard and Brown report being "struck repeatedly by a green laser" while flying over La Mesa.
The deputies employed an infrared camera to locate 34 year-old Fernando Arrolando from his apartment balcony on the 5300 block of Baltimore Avenue.
La Mesa Police were dispatched to the apartment, where Arrolando admitted to using a 20 milliwatt laser to illuminate the helicopter. The laser pointer device (similar devices are advertised online as having a range up to eight miles) was confiscated, and Arrolando was booked into jail on five counts of discharging a laser light at an aircraft.
More like this:
- Police officer struck by driver-less vehicle, car theft suspect escapes in La Mesa — May 9, 2013
- Failed liquor store robbery involving submachine gun — Oct. 22, 2012
- Vista Man Shows Off Improvised Arsenal to Deputies — July 23, 2012
- School Bus Was Not The Target — June 21, 2011
- San Diego Sheriff’s ASTREA Helicopter Makes Third Rescue in a Month — Sept. 15, 2010