Matthew Lickona 11:49 p.m., Dec. 10
New Years Eve, same old politics
California's political money-shifting machine never takes a break, not even for year's end
There was no rest for fundraising San Diego politicos as 2013 approached.
On December 31, according to a filing posted online today by the California Secretary of State's office, Democratic Assemblyman Ben Hueso picked up a total of $7800 from the California Latino Caucus Leadership PAC. The cash is for Hueso's run for the seat of state Senator Juan Vargas, a fellow Democrat who was elected in November to succeed San Diego mayor Bob Filner in Congress.
The Democratic Latino caucus, filings show, is funded by a variety of the usual special interest sources of legislative campaign money, including big corporations, labor unions, and casino-owning Native American tribes. Among last year's donors were the California Nurses Association PAC ($4,000); California State Council of Laborers PAC ($6,500); and the California State Council of Service Employees Issues Committee ($10,000).
In addition: the Occidental Oil and Gas Corporation ($6,500); San Manuel Band of Mission Indians ($16,500); and McDonalds California Operators Political Action Committee ($12,000).
Meanwhile, San Diego Republicans were also juggling accounts before the dawn of the coming year.
According to a January 1 filing, the San Diego County GOP gave $50,000 on December 31 to the campaign committee of its failed San Diego mayoral candidate, Carl DeMaio, the former city councilman. The local party also transferred $100,000 into the coffers of the California Republican Party.
More like this:
- Del Cerro Democrat gives big to Alvarez; McMillins kick in for Fletcher — Sept. 18, 2013
- FBI raid draws spotlight to San Diego donors and legislators — June 5, 2013
- Shadowy San Diego PAC backs both GOP's Plescia and Democrat Brown's tax hike measure — Nov. 2, 2012
- La Jolla billionaire homeowner's unreported six-figure gift comes back to haunt "No on 8" forces — Sept. 6, 2012
- Even Before Del Mar Track Opens, San Diego Politicos Off and Running for Its Campaign Cash — July 12, 2012