Robert Bush 9 a.m., March 29
Pub owners' PAC backing pro-DeMaio Lincoln Club gets $10,000 from Sempra Energy
As the race for San Diego mayor heads for the wire, it's getting harder to keep track of which big money players are giving to what causes.
Take for example, the case of the San Diego Restaurant & Beverage Political Action Committee.
As we first reported last week, the group, financed by many of San Diego's biggest beer, wine, and foodie names, has been raising big money for the San Diego county Republican party.
The GOP in turn has been channeling much of its cash to the cause of Republican city councilman Carl DeMaio in his mayoral battle with Democratic congressman Bob Filner.
Now, according to its latest disclosure, posted online by the California Secretary of State's office, the pub and eatery owners PAC has kicked in $25,000 for the GOP Lincoln Club, a group of businesses and lobbying interests that is also backing DeMaio.
Through the end of the latest reporting period, October 20, the restaurateur’s committee reports raising a total of $173,620 and spending $202,424.
Donors during the period included Karl Strauss Brewing Company, with a to-date total of $13,000; Cohn Restaurant Group ($10,300); Cafe Coyote ($7,000); Phil's BBQ Point Loma, Inc. ($8,100); and Sami Ladeki of Sammy's Woodfired Pizza ($1,000),
And, shortly after the close of the reporting period, Sempra Energy, the San Diego-based utility giant, weighed in with $10,000 on October 22, according to a separate filing by the corporation with the secretary of state's office.
More like this:
- Papa Doug hasn't forgotten Carl D. — Oct. 10, 2013
- Casino-owning tribe and builders give big to fund backing La Jolla GOP city council hopeful — Oct. 27, 2012
- Record $234,595 spent on broadcast ads in just one day in city races — Oct. 24, 2012
- Realtors and restaurateurs are San Diego GOP's latest big money players — Oct. 16, 2012
- Wealthy charter school advocate gives cash to interest group opposing San Diego school bond measure — Oct. 9, 2012