• News Ticker alerts

San Diego Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera is among a dozen suspensions that sports media are talking about today (Aug. 5). The players are all connected with investigation of the Biogenesis wellness clinic in Florida, which first hit the news months ago. Cabrera is considered one of the brighter lights for the Padres.

Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun has already accepted a 65-game suspension. Media are abuzz that New York Yankees star Alex (A-Rod) Rodriguez will be suspended through the end of the 2014 season.

Other players suspended for 50 days are Nelson Cruz, Rangers outfielder; Johnny Peralta, Tigers shortstop; Antonio Bastardo, Phillies reliever; Francisco Cervelli, Yankees catcher; Jordany Valdespin, Mets outfielder in the minors; Cesar Puello, Mets outfielder in the minors; Jesus Montero, Mariners catcher in the minors; Sergio Escalona, Astros pitcher in the minors; Fautino De Los Santos, free agent pitcher; Fernando Martinez, Yankees outfielder in the minors, and Jordan Norberto, free agent pitcher.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

David Dodd Aug. 5, 2013 @ 12:40 p.m.

I'll have more on this later, Padres GM Josh Byrnes is holding a presser via conference call shortly.

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 12:44 p.m.

David: You are the expert on sports. I just wanted to get it posted. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 12:46 p.m.

NOTE: The New York Times says that A-Rod Rodriguez is out until the end of 2014. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd Aug. 5, 2013 @ 12:57 p.m.

He may appeal, in which case, MLB will allow him to play until an arbitrator decides. He's in Chicago now with the Yankees team. According to a statement issued by Bud Selig, A-Rod's suspension goes into effect Thursday so he might play today.

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 1:02 p.m.

David: Yes, A-Rod is talking about an appeal. I don't know if the question of whether he can continue to play during the appeal process has been decided. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd Aug. 5, 2013 @ 1:16 p.m.

It has, I have a statement from MLB.

"Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced today that third baseman Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees has been suspended without pay for the remainder of the 2013 Championship Season and Postseason and the entire 2014 Championship Season for violations of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program and the Basic Agreement.

Rodriguez's discipline under the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program is based on his use and possession of numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including Testosterone and human Growth Hormone, over the course of multiple years. Rodriguez's discipline under the Basic Agreement is for attempting to cover-up his violations of the Program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation. The suspension, which will become effective on Thursday, August 8th, will cover 211 Championship Season games and any 2013 Postseason games in which Rodriguez otherwise would have been eligible to play.

Under the terms of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, Rodriguez's suspension will be stayed until the completion of his appeal if Rodriguez files a grievance challenging his discipline."

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 1:33 p.m.

David Dodd: Those are strong charges. MLB must have its case nailed down. But it does appear that he can continue to play until the resolution of the appeal if he challenges the discipline.

David Dodd Aug. 5, 2013 @ 1:43 p.m.

Don: Interestingly, A-Rod has never tested positive. This process seems quite Filner-esque.

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 5 p.m.

David Dodd: Yes, quite interesting. Pro sports is entertainment. It is also big business. Despite their claims that they want the game clean, owners don't want big stars besmirched. Yet MLB claims he has been cheating throughout his career. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Aug. 5, 2013 @ 8:23 p.m.

reply to donbauder, "owners don't want big stars besmirched" That's not the case with A-Rod. The Yankees would love nothing better than to see him gone for good. And the only reason none of the other teams want to see him gone is because they don't want to see the Yankees use those millions per year to sign a bunch more quality players, especially pitchers. It has nothing whatsoever to do with not wanting to sullying his reputation. It's about the $114 million Rodriguez has remaining on the contract through 2017. Period!

Don Bauder Aug. 6, 2013 @ 12:20 p.m.

danfogel: I was making a generalization about owners not wanting big stars besmirched -- not addressing A-Rod specifically.

I chuckle when I see pro basketball superstars foul opponents repeatedly but never get called by the ref because fans are paying to see the stars play.

It's similar with the obvious double-dribbles and steps that aren't called. Do you think baseball wanted an investigation when McGwire was belting all those homers?

Your analysis on A-Rod is right on the money, though. The Yankees want to dump his salary but the other teams want him around so the Yanks don't go out and overspend for other players. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Aug. 7, 2013 @ 8:29 p.m.

reply to donbauder My apologies. Your story was about players suspended in connected with the Biogenesis investigation and in it, you named A-Rod as one of those players. Your comment that I replied to was that despite owners claims they want the game clean they don't want want big stars besmirched, I was simply pointing out that in A-Rod's case, that wasn't true. The way I read it, you were still speaking of players that weren't "clean". I didn't realize that you had shifted from the topic of your story to baseball players in general. And it's not my analysis, though it is my opinion. It is actually from MLB GMs who have spoken off the record. I forgot that you apparently don't watch much TV, evidently never having watched baseball tonight on ESPN. Or maybe even never watched ESPN at all. If you had, then you would have been hearing my "analysis" for quite some as it is certainly been no secret for quite sometime.

aardvark Aug. 5, 2013 @ 12:56 p.m.

Cabrera was not suspended for a positive test. Would love to hear all of the details of this story.

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 1:04 p.m.

aardvark: As I said, this is based on reports in sports media. Those details may not be out yet. I don't know if the 12 names have been officially confirmed. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 5, 2013 @ 5:09 p.m.

IT'S OFFICIAL. ALSO, ANOTHER PADRES PLAYER ON LIST OF 12. The 50-game suspension of the 12 players is now official. Also, I had listed Fautino De Los Santos as a free agent pitcher. Major League Baseball says he is currently on the roster of the Double-A San Antonio Mission of the Texas League, and is a Padres pitcher. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd Aug. 5, 2013 @ 7:10 p.m.

Actually, De Los Santos was playing in Arizona with the Rookie League club. I had him released on my spreadsheet as well (he was, actually, released back in May, but I guess they resigned him at some point). This info per Corey Brock of MLB.com, and verified by myself.

aardvark Aug. 5, 2013 @ 7:20 p.m.

EDIT: Apparently, Cabrera did take a banned substance before the 2012 season. He has admitted it, apologized for it, and the punishment has been doled out. See you in the spring, Everth.

Don Bauder Aug. 6, 2013 @ 4:31 p.m.

aardvark: Apparently Cabrera is a very good player and his loss handicaps the Padres. Best, Don Bauder