Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., Dec. 5
Fletcher Campaign Receives Over $56,000 From Donors Outside of San Diego County and State
From March 18 to May 19 Nathan Fletcher raised a total of $302,866 in campaign donations, second only to Carl DeMaio, who raised $373,590.
Since Fletcher's announcement that he was jumping ship from the GOP, the two candidates have gone at each other. They have traded barbs at debates and traded first place in local polls.
However, one category that Fletcher is by far the winner is campaign contributions from donors who live outside of San Diego County. Out of the hundreds of thousands that Fletcher's campaign received this period, 19 percent ($56,379) came from donors outside of San Diego County, many from outside the State. On the other hand, DeMaio has only taken in $5,043 from donors outside the county, many of which have local connections to developers and other businesses.
It's not just the amount of money but the type of donor who contributed to Fletcher's run for mayor. His donors include a corporation communications officer from Facebook, $250; an employee for Oprah Winfrey's television network Harpo Industries, also $250; a managing director for Bain Capital (firm cofounded by Mitt Romney), $500; a student from Sioux Falls, South Dakota, $500; mayor of Tupelo, Mississippi, Jack Reed, $100, and a professor of economics at M.I.T. who also contributed $100. Even fashion designer Diane Von Furstenburg and her singer/filmmaker daughter Tatiana gave Fletcher $500 each.
Judging by the donations, it appears that Fletcher's jump from the GOP ship might have had some effect after all.
go here to see Fletcher's most recent campaign contributions
Related: Nathan Fletcher's Untold Stories
More like this:
- Will Jacobs fill Fletcher's coffer to help win mayoral battle? — Nov. 4, 2013
- Mayoral candidates and their committees collect big-time donations — Sept. 25, 2013
- Hotel magnates, developers, ex-Union-Tribune editor put cash into D.A.'s pocket — Aug. 7, 2013
- George Shultz, wealthy lumbermen backed ex-GOP mayor candidate after loss — Jan. 31, 2013
- Mayoral Campaign of Newly Independent Nathan Fletcher Gives $5,000 To GOP, Filing Says — April 13, 2012