Joseph O'Brien 9 a.m., April 26
Farmers Market Food Stamps Program Expands
The number of farmers markets where recipients of food assistance under the CalFresh (formerly the Food Stamp Program) can shop for goods has doubled in recent months, the North County Times reports.
When we last looked at the program in July, five county farmers markets were participating in the Fresh Fund program that initially launched in 2008. Under Fresh Fund, food stamp recipients are eligible to receive $20 per month in matching funds to purchase fresh produce from local vendors.
Newly participating sites are in Imperial Beach, Point Loma, north Escondido at the Lawrence Welk resort, the Westfield UTC mall, and Santee.
The Fund reports that as of 2011 it had caused an increase in revenue at the participating five markets by $1.6 million, including $350,000 in matching funds incentives.
More like this:
- Growers wanted — Jan. 11, 2015
- Bringing Agriculture to the City — July 26, 2011
- Fresh Funds for Farmers' Markets — July 25, 2011
- Meeting to Discuss Food Stamp Program in San Diego County — Dec. 4, 2010
- Farmers' Market Welcomes Food Stamps — June 30, 2008