Ian Pike noon, Dec. 8
Two Tijuana municipal police officers were arrested by Mexican state police during a crystal methamphetamine delivery on Sunday. The officers were arrested with 29 grams of the drug, only a block away from a municipal police station.
Samuel Tovar Fermín and Noé Cervantes Santillán became the fifth and sixth municipal police officers arrested in the past 15 days for drug charges. They were apprehending after state police overheard details of the transaction during a traffic stop of another suspect.
Gustavo Fabián Chávez Aguilar was pulled over by the state police for speeding in a car with California plates. During the stop, police overheard the suspects' Nextel phone on speakerphone give details of the drug transaction. This led to intercepting the two officers during the delivery of the drugs to a client.
The state police put the arrested officers on display for media late Sunday, giving statements detailing the arrests.
More like this:
- Alleged sicarios apprehended in Tijuana police murder — May 20, 2013
- Tijuana police record 222 attempted bribes over last 4 months — May 2, 2013
- Two female victims found dead within 48 hours near U.S. border in Tijuana — March 18, 2013
- Americans busted in Baja — Nov. 16, 2012
- Tijuana Police: 389 Alleged drug dealers arrested in August — Sept. 12, 2012