Jeff Smith noon, March 8
Alleged sicarios apprehended in Tijuana police murder
Suspects confess to killing former chief in 2012
Two suspects have allegedly confessed to the 2012 homicide of a high ranking municipal police officer, Jesús Alberto Hurtado Estrada, after being apprehended by authorities on Saturday, May 18th. Municipal authorities released details on the arrest and confession after the two alleged sicarios (hitmen) were arrested along with five others for unrelated charges.
According to authorities, a female companion attempted to bribe officers $6,000 USD for the release of the suspects during the arrest. Officials stated the two alleged sicarios, Víctor "El Cheko" Mejía López and Víctor "El Malú" López López, were in possession of the weapons used to kill the former police chief over a year ago.
Jesús Alberto Hurtado Estrada was killed by gun shots outside of his home in March of 2012. Hurtado Estrada had served in the Tijuana police ranks for over 20 years and had survived two previous attempts on his life in recent years. Hurtado Estrada was working in the municipal traffic department during the time of his death, after previously serving as the chief of a special operations unit.
More like this:
- Deportees kill five in Tijuana — July 12, 2013
- Tijuana rounds up 14 drug dealers overnight — March 6, 2013
- Tijuana police on watch for Dorner, suspected cop killer — Feb. 8, 2013
- Tijuana Police: 389 Alleged drug dealers arrested in August — Sept. 12, 2012
- El Mono Arrested in the Zona Norte — July 8, 2012