Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Dec. 9
First Look at Proposed U-T San Diego Video Billboard and News Ticker in Mission Valley
Late Friday we learned from a city development department notice posted on the front lawn of U-T San Diego that the newspaper wants to build 198 residential condominium units, 234,415 square feet of office space, and a 6470-square-foot retail facility on its 12.86-acre site at at 350 Camino de la Reina in Mission Valley.
After the city's notice went up, the newspaper confirmed the development, reporting that it was to be located on the company's present parking lot.
This morning we acquired a copy of a proposal to outfit the U-T's present building with an elaborate new signage system.
According to the document, the plan would feature an "Iconic" U-T logo with a "rotating mechanism to allow 360 degree rotation," a 14-ft by 48-ft "full color LED digital display," along with 3-ft by 4-ft sign cabinets containing an "LED ticker."
The installation would be situated around the top fascia of the existing U-T facility, clearly visible from Interstate 8 and State Highway 163.
The drawings, labeled "U-T Concept1," are dated January 18.
We called the U-T regarding the present status of the proposal and were directed to the voicemail of vice-chairman John Lynch.
We'll update here when we hear back.
More like this:
- Billboard cash attempts mayor's race influence — Sept. 23, 2013
- Brown’s Mission Valley grading violation goes unreported by neighboring hotel magnate’s paper — March 13, 2013
- Mortgage disinterest — Nov. 14, 2012
- San Diego U-T CEO Suggested Use of Paper's News Clout in Sign Dispute, City Emails Show — May 23, 2012
- City Notice Posted on Front Lawn Reveals Union-Tribune Seeking Condo, Office, and Retail Development Permits — May 4, 2012